Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm safety grants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Sheep handling race, happy days, I better feckin qualify for it, if it's TAMS I'm screwed - again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

how are cattle scales counted as saftey equipment?

how are cattle scales counted as saftey equipment?

You won't have to strain the back bear hugging them onto the bathroom scales any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great news on the Agitation gang slats. Need six, but I suppose only the four exterior agitation points will qualify. Very nearly came to a sticky end during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Great news on the Agitation gang slats. Need six, but I suppose only the four exterior agitation points will qualify. Very nearly came to a sticky end during the summer.

Have an old tank with slats on 26 years now. Must be getting to the point where they are a safety issue. Would these qualify I wonder??
    3 bay 11ft 6inch slats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

What is the 'circulation pipe(6") to allow for agitation of slurry'?

The leg hoist and scales for cattle and sheep will be on my santa list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great to see this grant come in for such an important thing as safety.

It would have been great if it extended to chainsaw gear like trousers, boots and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Great move.
    Strange it's under the 07-13 RDP, must have unspent funds.

PTO shafts would have been another good item to cover.

Still, it's a progressive move.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

It says on the Agriland website that its only MOBILE cattle crushes and pens that will be grant aided,does this mean that an ordinary crush and handling facilities wont be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Anti backing bars would be nice! How much are a set of scales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

C0N0R wrote: »

I'm sure a biteen more now that this announcement has been made!

Anywhere from 1050 - 1550 I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

C0N0R wrote: »
    Ballpark 1300 + vat

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

great idea

foot hoist and head scoop.. would love a scales too to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Muckit wrote: »

..... would have been great if it extended to chainsaw gear like trousers, boots and gloves.

These, and pto covers, as mentioned by Brian, should at least be zero vat - in the same category as food. They keep us alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Does anyone know how far the "covers for external slurry store" is likely to go?

Is this about covering a small tank or roofing, or slatting over even, an external concrete tank? Or am I confused?

Also how do we know what qualifications are required for an application? Will it be limited to those who claim SFP?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

MfMan wrote: »
    I'm sure a biteen more now that this announcement has been made!

Anywhere from 1050 - 1550 I'd say.

Yeah your right. Always thought of getting a set of scales but the manufacturers will think this grand is for them and up the price more than likely

Should there be a price freeze on these items before announcements like this?

Should there be a price freeze on these items before announcements like this?

Surely then industries would cry wolf about input increases then. Pure coincidence I'm sure

Reggie. wrote: »
    Surely then industries would cry wolf about input increases then. Pure coincidence I'm sure

Sure let them, no one pays much notice when farmers bemoan the price of feed fert or chemicals.

Sure let them, no one pays much notice when farmers bemoan the price of feed fert or chemicals.

But would they have more clout when bemoaning

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    But would they have more clout when bemoaning

Possibly, to protect "jobs" they may need to gouge primary producers. I wonder do the mining companies (more primary producers) take hits like that for getting iron etc out of the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

50% mark up on all items with these grants

I said wrote: »
    50% mark up on all items with these grants

Any reason why we couldn't import things like calving gates, scales, etc. from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

kowtow wrote: »
    Any reason why we couldn't import things like calving gates, scales, etc. from the UK?

Sure just use them over there and import the beef and milk:)

Be more expensive would it not?

Did ya try and import a slatted shed when the grants were available?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

yes you can use imported stuff and get grant aid as long as its from eu country. you can run into problems reclaiming vat if you are un registered. way around that is to get your builder mate who is vat registered to buy it they pay no vat then sell it to you with irish vat. he pays the irish government the vat and you reclaim it from irish government.
    micrax what should farmers do if the middle man gets so busy supplying grant equipment that the price goes up by 40%. this happened last time. should we do without this safety equipment due to it becoming too dear even with the grant or have the option of keeping them honest and charging a fair price that is not artificially inflated due to a grant.
    on the last grant I had a price for parlour before grant was improved and 18mts later got price for same parlour and it had gone from 21k to 32k. was fobbed off that it was the price of stainless had doubled. went north and parlour had gone up by 1500 due to stainless price increase. 1 supplier tried to tell me the grant was actually for them to stay in business not for the farmer.
    looking at this grant and I see a few things I could do with as my safety on farm has to improve as got kids now.

Did my shed in 10 they were delighted to get the work no grant and about 2/3rds cheaper than neighbours that was built with grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You can source product from any EU country. I think with EU regulation that you can reclaim vat through Irish revenue comissioners. However most NI companies and some UK companies will have an Irish VAT no as well. Bought slats from NI for last grant scheme. They wre 20% cheaper and of as good a spec if not better ( they were UK tractor spec but only Irish standard speced) than similar Irish slats.

On things like scales and steel for crushes it will be hard for suppliers to increase prices. Also the amount of grant money available will limit price increases. The last envoirment scheme was a couple of billion worth of work that was pushed into about 18 months. general building wark was strong at the time as well. This scheme will be much smaller and farmers will have better bargining power.

In general for the spect of shed I build the last time I think I stll got value for money yes I was gouged a bit but on scale of things it was at or near only 20% over and above normal prices. However from talking to grant inspector some were rode bare back but agaim there are always these inviduals.

• Advertisement

You can source product from any EU country. I think with EU regulation that you can reclaim vat through Irish revenue comissioners. However most NI companies and some UK companies will have an Irish VAT no as well. Bought slats from NI for last grant scheme. They wre 20% cheaper and of as good a spec if not better ( they were UK tractor spec but only Irish standard speced) than similar Irish slats.

... This scheme will be much smaller and farmers will have better bargining power.

In general for the spect of shed I build the last time I think I stll got value for money yes I was gouged a bit but on scale of things it was at or near only 20% over and above normal prices. However from talking to grant inspector some were rode bare back but agaim there are always these inviduals.

I suspect you are right about the smaller items - also things like re-wiring, yard lighting etc. are all subject to a wider market with very strong competition on materials prices.

Always bugs me when these grant schemes are dreamt up and end up increasing prices left right and centre. Civil Servants and politicians should have the words "unintended consequences" permanently tattooed somewhere they cant forget them.

Advertisement