Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying second hand house - transferring utilities to me?

Options
  • 16-10-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been done to death before, I did have a quick search but couldn't find an answer.

I'm closing on a sale next Friday and getting my keys to my first house (yay!). But I've just realised I have no idea what the story is with setting up the electricity and phone in my name?

I've got the MPRN number for the house, but not sure what the changeover procedure is. Can I just call up the suppliers I want to go with on Monday and get them to sort it for Friday? Or do I have to wait for the sellers to end their contracts with whoever they are with?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Tell the estate agent to give you the final meter reading for the electricity when you collect the keys then ring your chosen provider and sign up with them.

Phone - when we bought our house, I just rang the provider after we closed and they sorted it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just taking a meter reading on Friday and phone up your company of choice and open an account

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Thanks guys! I really thought there would be more to it!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I really thought there would be more to it!

Cheers

Congrats on your new home - how exciting!!! Make sure they don’t disconnect you and then reconnect - its about a e200 charge for each to be done!!!

Happy New Home!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Thanks! Exciting but also scary times! :D

I didn't know about disconnect/reconnect charges - I'll be onto the Estate Agent first thing Monday to try make sure that doesn't happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Thanks! Exciting but also scary times! :D

I didn't know about disconnect/reconnect charges - I'll be onto the Estate Agent first thing Monday to try make sure that doesn't happen!

Congrats on your first home purchase! Not sure what was the occupancy status of the house before you moved in but if the house has not been lived in the there maybe a Lock Out Tag Out on the gas supply (heating may be oil!!). In the instance the house is gas and the gas has been locked out by gas supplier..........they will charge you a few of approx €200 for supply to be re-instated and will only do so once boiler has been serviced by a registered service person. It is all a money racket really

I would also recommend that you shop around for best value when it comes to all your standard utility suppliers. Unlike what is the norm in other European countries..........Irish people sign up with the usual best known suppliers and stay long term........we never shop around for best value and change suppliers once fixed term is up. Bonkers.ie is a great website to find best deal and value

Advertisement