Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-10-2020, 13:28   #1
Mad_maxx

funny auctioneers

im currently trying to negotiate the purchase of a house on behalf of my widowed mother , she sold another one which was just too big , the grounds being the most unmanagable , house she wants to buy is in a better location for buses , church she attends , local shops etc , she can walk to all of them if she succeeds in buying

anyway , the house was sale agreed at the beginning of the year , auctioneer has already caught herself out with the figure she claimed it was sold for , said it was sold for 360 k on previous occasion including the day i got to look at it myself , my mother and one of my sisters saw it three times

last few days post my mothers bid of 320 k which was made ten days ago , she ( estate agent ) claimed the bid was too far off the original ( fell through price ) 350 k agreed price , i said nothing but found it amusing as on previous occasions the fall through price was claimed to be 360 k

she talks about how its only " logical for the vendor and buyer to aim for common ground " and how it shows good will for my mother to make a bid which will satisfy the seller , while objectively perhaps true , it would be a foolish buyer who gave the seller everything they wanted , this house had not a single bid on it since the start of the year and is on the market more than twelve months with an asking price of 370 k , much higher than other houses in the parish ( one hour fifteen minutes from o connell stv dublin )

the tone is a constant stream of condescension and not in the least convincing either , there are valuable contents in the property and i told the agent yesterday that my mother would be willing to pay 5k for them , they arent worth the half of it but its a way of outbidding your current bid without making one look like literally doing so

estate agent was having none of it , " no point in talking contents until sale price agreed "

someone with a bit of nous would simply consider that paying over the odds for contents tops up the sale price but no

makes me think its no wonder some houses never sell , between incredibly rigid sellers and horribly obtuse estate agents

i said to the estate agent today that at the very worst , my mothers bid has value in terms of propping up the house for further bids , told her if a house is not selling , its simply priced too high and to further underline the point , this house had no bids since the sale fell through earlier in the year

thankfully my mother is open to just moving to dublin as all her daughters live there but you do wonder sometimes at the sense of entitlement from certain estate agents , no nuance or appreciation for price appraisal from the other side , want to stress , im not saying the bid should be accepted , if the vendors wish to hold out for several more years , thats their perogative but dont expect someone else to identically value a property

Last edited by Mad_maxx; 08-10-2020 at 13:34.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-10-2020, 13:48   #2
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_maxx View Post
im currently trying to negotiate the purchase of a house on behalf of my widowed mother , she sold another one which was just too big , the grounds being the most unmanagable , house she wants to buy is in a better location for buses , church she attends , local shops etc , she can walk to all of them if she succeeds in buying

anyway , the house was sale agreed at the beginning of the year , auctioneer has already caught herself out with the figure she claimed it was sold for , said it was sold for 360 k on previous occasion including the day i got to look at it myself , my mother and one of my sisters saw it three times

last few days post my mothers bid of 320 k which was made ten days ago , she ( estate agent ) claimed the bid was too far off the original ( fell through price ) 350 k agreed price , i said nothing but found it amusing as on previous occasions the fall through price was claimed to be 360 k

she talks about how its only " logical for the vendor and buyer to aim for common ground " and how it shows good will for my mother to make a bid which will satisfy the seller , while objectively perhaps true , it would be a foolish buyer who gave the seller everything they wanted , this house had not a single bid on it since the start of the year and is on the market more than twelve months with an asking price of 370 k , much higher than other houses in the parish ( one hour fifteen minutes from o connell stv dublin )

the tone is a constant stream of condescension and not in the least convincing either , there are valuable contents in the property and i told the agent yesterday that my mother would be willing to pay 5k for them , they arent worth the half of it but its a way of outbidding your current bid without making one look like literally doing so

estate agent was having none of it , " no point in talking contents until sale price agreed "

someone with a bit of nous would simply consider that paying over the odds for contents tops up the sale price but no

makes me think its no wonder some houses never sell , between incredibly rigid sellers and horribly obtuse estate agents

i said to the estate agent today that at the very worst , my mothers bid has value in terms of propping up the house for further bids , told her if a house is not selling , its simply priced too high and to further underline the point , this house had no bids since the sale fell through earlier in the year

thankfully my mother is open to just moving to dublin as all her daughters live there but you do wonder sometimes at the sense of entitlement from certain estate agents , no nuance or appreciation for price appraisal from the other side , want to stress , im not saying the bid should be accepted , if the vendors wish to hold out for several more years , thats their perogative but dont expect someone else to identically value a property
Neither the owner nor the Estate Agent is obliged to sell you the house. There are entitled take whatever irrational and unreasonable positions they like. You either buy another property or do business their way.
(3) thanks from:
08-10-2020, 14:19   #3
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
Neither the owner nor the Estate Agent is obliged to sell you the house. There are entitled take whatever irrational and unreasonable positions they like. You either buy another property or do business their way.
Read my thread opener again, I said it's their perogative should they wish to hold out for a year more !
08-10-2020, 14:24   #4
Dav010

Quote:
Read my thread opener again, I said it's their perogative should they wish to hold out for a year more !
What is your issue here though, that the seller refuses to sell for less than they want?
Thanks from:
08-10-2020, 14:26   #5
silver2020

Seems to be a trend with some agents acting as if they are kingmakers - they have very short memories.

One idea would be to use the agent you are using to sell (or sold) your mother's current house and asking them to represent you on negotiating the price and agreement on the new (or a similar property)

I would expect a fee of about €1500 for this and I don't know why people here don't do it.

The agent would have local knowledge of the real prices and what other similar properties sell for and would also be able to talk a "different language" to the other agent.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-10-2020, 14:30   #6
listermint

Well there's a simple way to tie this up. You offer the highest bid you are willing to go to. Tell them its an offer open for a week and after that you will be looking elsewhere.

And that's it. Everyone moves on.
08-10-2020, 14:32   #7
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver2020 View Post
Seems to be a trend with some agents acting as if they are kingmakers - they have very short memories.

One idea would be to use the agent you are using to sell (or sold) your mother's current house and asking them to represent you on negotiating the price and agreement on the new (or a similar property)

I would expect a fee of about €1500 for this and I don't know why people here don't do it.

The agent would have local knowledge of the real prices and what other similar properties sell for and would also be able to talk a "different language" to the other agent.
EAs act for the seller, not the buyer. If the seller says they won’t sell for less than a certain price, blaming the EA is a bit pointless.
Thanks from:
08-10-2020, 14:34   #8
John Hutton

Quote:

This sounds like a good idea but ultimately naive in Ireland. If everyone did this it would leave every aspect nicely sown up by EAs.
Thanks from:
08-10-2020, 15:48   #9
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
What is your issue here though, that the seller refuses to sell for less than they want?
thread is about auctioneers who expect to have their deal sealed without any effort and who think they can so easily bend you to their will , this one seems to be almost insulted by my playing hardball , the house is a year on the market and has no bids on it , my mothers bid is effectively 325k and we now learn the house previously fell through at 360 k as opposed to the previously claimed 350 k , its not a huge gulf really , house was priced too high to begin with

" funny auctioneers "

Last edited by Mad_maxx; 08-10-2020 at 16:07.
Advertisement
08-10-2020, 15:50   #10
Mad_maxx

Quote:

my mothers house is already sold , she is hoping to buy this other one which is a few miles away
08-10-2020, 15:50   #11
Claw Hammer

Quote:
thread is about auctioneers who expect to have their deal sealed without any effort and who think they can so easily bend you to their will

" funny auctioneers "
The trade is really about people who think they can bend auctioneers to their will. Auctioneers have to operate on instructions. If they don't get sales their business will eventually disappear. It is not for you as the purchaser or potential purchaser to tell anybody how to do their business.
08-10-2020, 15:51   #12
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Well there's a simple way to tie this up. You offer the highest bid you are willing to go to. Tell them its an offer open for a week and after that you will be looking elsewhere.

And that's it. Everyone moves on.
trust me , that never works and no auctioneer ever believes you when you say " thats the highest im willing to go "

ive no problem with a long drawn out dance , i understand these things are nuanced
08-10-2020, 15:56   #13
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
The trade is really about people who think they can bend auctioneers to their will. Auctioneers have to operate on instructions. If they don't get sales their business will eventually disappear. It is not for you as the purchaser or potential purchaser to tell anybody how to do their business.
perhaps you have trouble reading ?

ive already said its the sellers perogative to hold out for another year

my point is about estate agents who appears irked and affronted that a buyer would not say " how high " when they say jump to the asking price
08-10-2020, 16:00   #14
intellectual dosser

Thinking about this logically: Obviously the auctioneer expects to get €350k or there abouts, by registering your mothers bid the subsequent bidding would work off that baseline €320k which is nearly 10% short of their expectations. I don't blame them for resisting.

Auctioneers also don't make a commission off contents not part of the sale description, I wouldn't think its their place to be handling that aspect of a sale.
Thanks from:
08-10-2020, 16:10   #15
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellectual dosser View Post
Thinking about this logically: Obviously the auctioneer expects to get €350k or there abouts, by registering your mothers bid the subsequent bidding would work off that baseline €320k which is nearly 10% short of their expectations. I don't blame them for resisting.

Auctioneers also don't make a commission off contents not part of the sale description, I wouldn't think its their place to be handling that aspect of a sale.
offering 5K extra for contents is often an indirect way of placing a higher bid without shooting your credibility to pieces

anyway, she wont be going higher until she has to

the vendors valued the house too high to begin with , presumably the estate agent was unable to persuade them otherwise , logically a house is priced too high if it hasnt a single bid on it

if you price too high , you turn people off that they wont bid at all

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion