Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2020, 13:13   #1
Smouse156

Daneswell Place, Botanic Road, Glasnevin

Hi, considering purchasing here for a family home. These launched in 2018, well overpriced and none sold for nearly a year. They then dropped prices 15-20% and 10/35 have sold since. Two 5-beds sold in April 10/15k under asking (780k & 785k, asking is 795k+). Given the mortgage restrictions and removal of exemptions, what do people think these places are worth. Specifically the smaller 5-beds asking 795k? Thanks.

I would also like to hear people’s opinion on the neighbourhood & schools in the area? Thanks

One thing to note is the developer has tried to ram 300 apartments into the remainder of the site instead of fulfilling the original planning for 43 houses & 79 apartments but failed to get approval. Worrying if he was able to go ahead with something similar in future.
Advertisement
23-06-2020, 16:04   #2
true-or-false

They look fantastic, loads of space. With the location in mind I can understand the asking price. If you already know that some have sold for under the asking it's definitely worth trying a low bid, but I can't see them dropping too much unless the developer is in a rush to get rid of them.

The only info I'd add is:
- That's a busy road, and if you're reliant on bus/car to get to work in the mornings it can get quite congested.
- Some of the smaller 5-beds are much nearer the road than the other houses, and some people really value being away from the main road. If this doesn't bother you, maybe you could push the price of those houses down more easily than if it was one of the houses further in?
- If that kind of thing does bother you, it's worth noting you're close to the North Circular, and the Mater (possible ambulances). I had a look at the website which seems to push this 'suburban calm' vibe, but it's very much the town/phibs end of Glasnevin. It's a lovely area, but you'll know you're near town.
- It's an area that's got a fair bit of life to it. Plenty of people around, not a sleepy suburb where people just use their cars. You'd be able to walk into the city centre via Blessington Basin which is a nice walk, and for a lot of things you can just pop down to the cross at Doyle's corner and there are plenty of shops there. I say that though as someone who's not planning to have a family, so I can't really relate with what your needs would be if you're thinking 5-bed, schools etc. which implies kids.

Last edited by true-or-false; 23-06-2020 at 16:05. Reason: deleting irrelevant info
23-06-2020, 21:35   #3
Smouse156

Quote:
Originally Posted by true-or-false View Post
They look fantastic, loads of space. With the location in mind I can understand the asking price. If you already know that some have sold for under the asking it's definitely worth trying a low bid, but I can't see them dropping too much unless the developer is in a rush to get rid of them.

The only info I'd add is:
- That's a busy road, and if you're reliant on bus/car to get to work in the mornings it can get quite congested.
- Some of the smaller 5-beds are much nearer the road than the other houses, and some people really value being away from the main road. If this doesn't bother you, maybe you could push the price of those houses down more easily than if it was one of the houses further in?
- If that kind of thing does bother you, it's worth noting you're close to the North Circular, and the Mater (possible ambulances). I had a look at the website which seems to push this 'suburban calm' vibe, but it's very much the town/phibs end of Glasnevin. It's a lovely area, but you'll know you're near town.
- It's an area that's got a fair bit of life to it. Plenty of people around, not a sleepy suburb where people just use their cars. You'd be able to walk into the city centre via Blessington Basin which is a nice walk, and for a lot of things you can just pop down to the cross at Doyle's corner and there are plenty of shops there. I say that though as someone who's not planning to have a family, so I can't really relate with what your needs would be if you're thinking 5-bed, schools etc. which implies kids.
Thanks for your feedback
23-06-2020, 22:38   #4
James 007

For me I would prefer a better address. Mobhi Road near Na Fianna or any house in this area or Griffith Ave or the below which can be upgraded to suit. The local of that estate for me is in Phibsboro area more so than Glasnevin area.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-fo...ublin-2447091/
16-10-2020, 21:14   #5
ruthlessray

You'd do well to ignore this advice, in my opinion. The estate is a 10 minute walk from Na Fianna for one thing. It's further from Phibsborough than both Iona Road and Lindsay Road, both of which are very much Glasnevin.

You're getting an A-rated property with 2000+ square foot of space and quality fittings. For under 800k in this area, which is a walk to town, surrounded by genuinly nice places to eat, drink, walk etc and surrounded by great schools, it represents very decent value.

There are absolutely apartments going in but they're due north of the houses and having gone through the planning documents, can tell you that they will be build to a very high standard, in keeping with the quality of the houses built so far. The reality is apartments are going to become more and more common anywhere there's space close to the city centre, so I wouldn't let this put you off.

Oh and did I mention Phibsborough has been named on the list of coolest towns in the world for the second time in 3 years?!
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 16:25   #6
Smouse156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessray View Post
You'd do well to ignore this advice, in my opinion. The estate is a 10 minute walk from Na Fianna for one thing. It's further from Phibsborough than both Iona Road and Lindsay Road, both of which are very much Glasnevin.

You're getting an A-rated property with 2000+ square foot of space and quality fittings. For under 800k in this area, which is a walk to town, surrounded by genuinly nice places to eat, drink, walk etc and surrounded by great schools, it represents very decent value.

There are absolutely apartments going in but they're due north of the houses and having gone through the planning documents, can tell you that they will be build to a very high standard, in keeping with the quality of the houses built so far. The reality is apartments are going to become more and more common anywhere there's space close to the city centre, so I wouldn't let this put you off.

Oh and did I mention Phibsborough has been named on the list of coolest towns in the world for the second time in 3 years?!
Thanks! Probably not going to buy now till next year. 13 of the houses have sold despite the estate agent pretending they’re all sale agreed then coming back saying “we have one left” and then we have two left etc. Reality is 1/2 the houses are left. On the apartments, one would want to make sure they’re not totally overlooking the houses. Do you have a link to the updated planning? Think it’s for 220 apartments now
17-10-2020, 21:42   #7
ruthlessray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smouse156 View Post
Thanks! Probably not going to buy now till next year. 13 of the houses have sold despite the estate agent pretending they’re all sale agreed then coming back saying “we have one left” and then we have two left etc. Reality is 1/2 the houses are left. On the apartments, one would want to make sure they’re not totally overlooking the houses. Do you have a link to the updated planning? Think it’s for 220 apartments now
Re apartment plans, I searched for Daneswell phase 2 planning and found a very helpful set of slides from Neasa Hourigan, the Green TD.

Re availability, I understand the Sunflower house type are all gone. One of each of the other types is available. However they are allowing people to reserve one for 10k, lots of whom haven't sold their own homes yet, so it's almost inevitable that some bookings will continue to fall through.

I've had a QS take a look at one of the Sunflower houses and talked to an unconnected estate agent who's a friend, and the feedback from both was "fantastic house", no issues valuing at in excess of 800k.

Personally, I think the largest house type are overpriced at close to a million quid but think there's good value in the Sunflowers at 795k.

Re overlooking, the apartments will be about 20m from the houses. If they weren't going to be north of the houses, they would be a dealbreaker for me. I don't think overlooking will be an issue, certainly there are no balconies facing the houses, but certainly it's worth thinking about whether that would bother you or not.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion