Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-10-2020, 14:10   #1
Shoden

Soundproofing levels in New Builds

Hi,

I'm after putting down a deposit on a new build in Munster. It's an A2 rated two bed townhouse, so a terrace. Love the plans and the show house but I have always lived in detached houses, slightly nervous about the terraced aspect of it. As such I have a load of questions:

1) Is there minimum sound proofing standards new builds have to meet?

2) Is there any BER like rating for soundproofing?

3)How much are you likely to hear?

4) Is there an option to pay the builder extra for better soundproofing?

5) Is better soundproofing even possible pre or post build?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Shoden; 18-10-2020 at 14:13. Reason: Punctuation
Advertisement
18-10-2020, 16:01   #2
cubatahavana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoden View Post
Hi,

I'm after putting down a deposit on a new build in Munster. It's an A2 rated two bed townhouse, so a terrace. Love the plans and the show house but I have always lived in detached houses, slightly nervous about the terraced aspect of it. As such I have a load of questions:

Thanks in advance.
My semiD (new build) that I’m getting soon has mineral wool insulation. For what I’ve read it’s quite ok for soundproofing. I suppose most new builds will be similar

1- don’t know
2-don’t think so
5- I suppose you can
18-10-2020, 17:21   #3
Gumbo

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes. Technical Guidance Document Part E (Sound) ensures that sound transmission from one dwelling to another is contained to the regulation requirements.

2. No. It’s a pass or fail system.

3. Loud music, parties, doors slamming. All noises that move through the structure and flank noises. You can’t control certain noises and airbourne sounds.

4. Not in my experience.

5. During the build yes. There are superior systems but they must be done on both sides of the party walls. So that means your house and the 2 neighbors houses during construction.

After construction it’s extremely hard to fix. Almost impossible in my opinion.
(3) thanks from:
18-10-2020, 17:41   #4
Shoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
1. Yes. Technical Guidance Document Part E (Sound) ensures that sound transmission from one dwelling to another is contained to the regulation requirements.

2. No. It’s a pass or fail system.

3. Loud music, parties, doors slamming. All noises that move through the structure and flank noises. You can’t control certain noises and airbourne sounds.

4. Not in my experience.

5. During the build yes. There are superior systems but they must be done on both sides of the party walls. So that means your house and the 2 neighbors houses during construction.

After construction it’s extremely hard to fix. Almost impossible in my opinion.
Thank you for your reply. You seem knowledgeable in the area. I'm guessing if they have to be built to certain sound specs that it's something that isn't a nightmare to live with? I understand that that's possiblely quite a personal question.
18-10-2020, 17:47   #5
Gumbo

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. You seem knowledgeable in the area. I'm guessing if they have to be built to certain sound specs that it's something that isn't a nightmare to live with? I understand that that's possiblely quite a personal question.
Technically they should be grand but it doesn’t remove all sound. You’ll still have some of the traditional terrace house sounds.
Advertisement
19-10-2020, 11:10   #6
Arklow10

Best to talk to a sound expert/architect/ - not the same thing.
Do not be surprised if when someone is running up the stairs in an adjoining house you think it is your house particularly if they have very poor stair carpets or none!
Children, pets, music etc.

Coming from a detached house to a small modern terraced house is a significant change! If it is an affordability issue, location..., no choice.
Suggest you go to the terrace show house or another adjoining terrace house and have one person in it and you in the other - stairs, talking, shouting and judge for yourself.

There are very significant living experiences between living in a terrace house and a detached house.
Thanks from:
19-10-2020, 11:29   #7
awec
Category Moderator

Quote:
If it's done right it's absolutely grand. I'm in a semi D and I can hear nothing from the neighbours, and they're a young family with toddlers running about all day.

I grew up in a detached and in my own experience, the difference is negligible, however there are plenty of horror stories on here of party walls being done incorrectly, or silly house layouts meaning the wrong rooms are on the party wall.
Thanks from:
19-10-2020, 11:38   #8
Shoden

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it is indeed a price location thing. Can't afford a detached in my area.

I suppose from what I'm reading is it's down to the workmanship of the individual property. Something that won't be known until I'm in.

Sound insulation on my sides might be an option if it is crap I suppose.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion