Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-10-2020, 14:25   #16
cubatahavana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboya1 View Post
Same in relation to when the plumber asked did I want an outside tap.
Buying a new build now. Nearly finished and I just realized that I never asked if there’s an outside tap/socket. Never lived in a house so it didn’t cross my mind. These and attic ladders are in my browser history today.
cubatahavana is offline  
Advertisement
18-10-2020, 14:27   #17
poker--addict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 413
Attic ladder reminded me of attic flooring!

The misery and hassle of putting stuff in an attic which has no basic flooring!
poker--addict is offline  
(4) thanks from:
18-10-2020, 14:31   #18
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker--addict View Post
Attic ladder reminded me of attic flooring!

The misery and hassle of putting stuff in an attic which has no basic flooring!
I recently got both added, plus a light and basic shelving. Wasn't a big deal to do so easily retrofitted unlike underfloor heating, sockets, taps etc
Caranica is offline  
Thanks from:
18-10-2020, 16:24   #19
Claw Hammer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,624
Putting the light switch to the attic on an LED switch, situated on the ceiling below the attic, beside the entrance hatch to the attic.
Claw Hammer is offline  
18-10-2020, 16:28   #20
JJJackal
Registered User
 
JJJackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboya1 View Post
Same in relation to when the plumber asked did I want an outside tap.
An outside hot water tap is handy too! Especially if you have children who want to swim in a blow up pool
JJJackal is offline  
Advertisement
18-10-2020, 16:38   #21
beauf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 20,041
Run a cable for lights and power on a shed.
Make sure the outside stuff is correctly wired.
Network cable everywhere, and TV cable.
beauf is offline  
18-10-2020, 16:42   #22
cubatahavana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJackal View Post
An outside hot water tap is handy too! Especially if you have children who want to swim in a blow up pool
Great idea
cubatahavana is offline  
Thanks from:
18-10-2020, 17:30   #23
Faze11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranica View Post
I recently got both added, plus a light and basic shelving. Wasn't a big deal to do so easily retrofitted unlike underfloor heating, sockets, taps etc
This is one that's on my list. Only thing is that because it's a new build insulation comes up very high and I think I need stilts to raise up floor. Wanted to do it myself. Anyone any idea where to get supllies.
Faze11 is offline  
18-10-2020, 17:30   #24
Pete123456
Registered User
 
Pete123456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 524
Can I please ask how much of what has been mentioned is “requestable” in a new build estate in the likes of Kildare or Dublin? Is it the case that you get what you’re given and only after you get the keys can you do extras?

Things like sockets, network cabling and outdoor power/tap appeal to me, but I assume the builder will only meet the brochure spec until it’s too late to fix? Or can you request all of these extras?
Pete123456 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-10-2020, 17:38   #25
Faze11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete123456 View Post
Can I please ask how much of what has been mentioned is “requestable” in a new build estate in the likes of Kildare or Dublin? Is it the case that you get what you’re given and only after you get the keys can you do extras?

Things like sockets, network cabling and outdoor power/tap appeal to me, but I assume the builder will only meet the brochure spec until it’s too late to fix? Or can you request all of these extras?
All really depends on the developer. We bought a new build and I got to speak to electrician for lighting and plugs, adding wherever I wanted. Also changed the kitchen door and opted for white instead of the standard brown house doors. Picked our own wardrobes - there was an allowance), and tiles/wooden floors.

A new estate by same developer is currently being built next to us. They were given far fewer options (probably learned from all my requests :-)

So it really depends on developer and only thing to do is ask.
Faze11 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-10-2020, 18:15   #26
Caranica
Registered User
 
Caranica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faze11 View Post
This is one that's on my list. Only thing is that because it's a new build insulation comes up very high and I think I need stilts to raise up floor. Wanted to do it myself. Anyone any idea where to get supllies.
I had a builder in to do a few bits so he sourced everything.
Caranica is offline  
18-10-2020, 18:41   #27
Edgware
Registered User
 
Edgware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,417
If a house an outside tap in the back is very useful
Edgware is offline  
18-10-2020, 18:55   #28
jrosen
Registered User
 
jrosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 820
New build.

We have lots of sockets but I wish I had have asked for more. In some rooms sockets make no sense in relation to were furniture/lamps fit so more sockets would have been a plus.

Wish I had have known about screws for the floor boards.

We have attic stairs but no flooring for storage, with the insulation high we need to try get someone for that.

I also wish I would have put way more pressure for additional tiling. Bathrooms are part tiled and we wanted them tiled more, builder said no problem but when we moved in it hadn't been done. We have been months now trying to get a tiler.

So my main thing I wish I did was realize that tradespeople who are reliable are like gold and if there is something you want done, even if its something you need to pay for you should strike while the iron is hot and the guys are on site.

Another thing, wood floor needs to acclimatize to the house so should be delivered before fitting
jrosen is offline  
18-10-2020, 19:16   #29
cubatahavana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete123456 View Post
Can I please ask how much of what has been mentioned is “requestable” in a new build estate in the likes of Kildare or Dublin? Is it the case that you get what you’re given and only after you get the keys can you do extras?

Things like sockets, network cabling and outdoor power/tap appeal to me, but I assume the builder will only meet the brochure spec until it’s too late to fix? Or can you request all of these extras?
I asked an extra socket on the kitchen island and was told no problem. Will ask about the outside tap and socket next week, before they install the kitchen
cubatahavana is offline  
18-10-2020, 19:17   #30
sparkledrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Adequate sized radiators and enough of them, especially in living room.
sparkledrum is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet