Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtue Signalling as a College Course

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Having a whale of a time.

You're whalecum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

So this course would teach what is takes to become a respected, eminent, qualified Virtue Signaller.

The syllabus can include material like "personal demeanor towards uncultured commoner" or "full fawning ETIQUETTE towards one's idols"

What material could be added to this college course?

Just go to America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

kowloon wrote: »
    People are really desperate to create this culture war to replace all the other existential threats that haven't wiped us out.

I think some people (on either 'side') are a bit too... online and don't seem to realise that the culture war they've created exists only in their own minds. Most people ain't got time for that shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Candie wrote: »
    I don't think Brian is ever going to walk again. :(

Me neither whale penis fun time was not as fun as i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Alternatively there would have to be a "Reactionary Knuckledragger" course, how to spend your life sh*tposting anything online to do with racism, feminism, veganism, environmentalism and other subjects to do with treating the planet and other people with respect and consideration and showing the world what a "proper" (overweight, broke, drunk and single) man you are.
    Basement dwellers of the world unite!

Sounds like you took the 'I'm a nice guy male feminist and totally not a sexual predator' course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Sounds like you took the 'I'm a nice guy male feminist and totally not a sexual predator' course.

Sounds like you recognised yourself in that post and had to retaliate.

There's nothing wrong with being a male feminist and treating women as though they're equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jimmy Twotimes

.anon. wrote: »
    Sounds like you recognised yourself in that post and had to retaliate.

There's nothing wrong with being a male feminist and treating women as though they're equal.

Yeah but when a man tries just a bit too hard to show what nice guy feminist he is...well alarm bells start ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I came here to say fair play to Brian. Respect where it's due.

Lube can work wonders these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

touts wrote: »
    Lube can work wonders these days.

What brand are you using, Brian?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There are a lot of idiots online that use the term 'virtue signalling' to try to stigmatise any, and all, prosocial behaviour as having nefarious motivations. The same idiots will often decry that we're losing our traditional/Western/Christian values which, surprise surprise, sound an awful lot like what they'd describe as 'virtue signalling'.

Not the brightest bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are a lot of idiots online that use the term 'virtue signalling' to try to stigmatise any, and all, prosocial behaviour as having nefarious motivations. The same idiots will often decry that we're losing our traditional/Western/Christian values which, surprise surprise, sound an awful lot like what they'd describe as 'virtue signalling'.

Not the brightest bulbs.

It's more the equivalent of some SF supporters following on social media an FG politician just to feel outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not the brightest bulbs.

Then of course there are a lot of idiots online who do indeed glory in a bit of old virtue signaling. These are even sometimes the same who confuse online virtue signaling with 'actually doing something of benefit to anyone. Oh and don't forget it's important to always to suggest because someone gets offended - means those pointing out the obvious are just nazi types or wtte

Definitely not the brightest flowers :D:D:D

Hell virtue signalling even helps sell **** to the permanently outraged.

http://elitebusinessmagazine.co.uk/analysis/item/building-a-brand-in-the-age-of-consumer-outrage-and-virtue-signalling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

What actually is "virtue signalling"?

I think some people (on either 'side') are a bit too... online and don't seem to realise that the culture war they've created exists only in their own minds. Most people ain't got time for that shit.

True, but you'll sometimes find it within closed environments where such behavior can be controlled. Various companies (where HR reins supreme), some academic institutions (where virtue must be displayed), etc. It's not solely on the internet anymore, although I would agree that it's not part of mainstream society. It is spreading, but thankfully, most Irish would resist this nonsense.. common sense isn't entirely dead yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One does not have to be a male "feminist" to treat women as equals. Though this is an all too common misconception.

And considering current feminism's credo can be handily summed up as women are always agentless victims and it's always men's/patriarchy's fault, I would suggest any man who has read even a little beyond the surface of the current feminism gospel that it means equality of the sexes is either a dolt, naive, or is trying to score points in the hope of getting female attention.

If someone hasn't enquired beyond the surface that's common and understandable enough with many "accepted truths" in any society, but such blindly accepted truths, especially when they become dogma should always be examined, because history has shown many such dogmas don't tend to remain truths for long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Because modern feminism isn't about seeking equality. It's about women's rights, beyond that of equality. First and second wave feminism was concerned with equality... but modern feminism has evolved into something entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Detritus70

What actually is "virtue signalling"?

Virtue signalling, as well as sjw and libtard are terms used by people who ran out of arguments.

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Virtue signalling, as well as sjw and libtard are terms used by people who ran out of arguments.

Have you seen my posts? I never run out of arguments. :pac::pac::pac:

You're in denial or deflecting.

SJW are real (since it was a term they coined for themselves). Libtard is a stupid insult. And Virtue signalling is seeking to show moral superiority, which is usually lacking after some digging. Consider virtue signalling as being the same as being stuck up high in some kind of ivory tower (with all the associated self-imposed superiority)

Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous and disingenuous expression of moral values with the intent to enhance one's own image

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Virtue signalling is a pejorative neologism for the conspicuous and disingenuous expression of moral values with the intent to enhance one's own image
    Though the religious in Ireland have largely gone away, it appears the same percentage of holier than thou crawtumpers haven't. The loud and often hypocritical standard bearers of the morality de jour seem to be constants in any society going way back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The best (or worst) ever was that guy a couple of years ago that made a video about he was going to go around helping people for a couple of days..

Before he actually did a good turn had an edited video with touching music and himself starring as maybe the nicest person ever..

Such an exercise in narcissism I hadn't seen in a long time..

• Advertisement
Advertisement