Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think if you told that you had a terminal disease that you try enjoy life?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

100%

Not entirely sure exactly what I'd do but I'd be a lot less sedentary.

Eh, not necessarily. The cruel part of being terminally ill is that you are generally a lot less able than you once were when you want to do all the things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

peasant wrote: »
    Exactly
    Not to be glib about it, but we're all terminally ill.

Putting a more or less exactly determined length on the time you have left surely puts things into focus, but for general outlook on life it does no harm to remind yourself that you will not live forever and perhaps focus on the moment a bit more and get more out of it.

Please please please don't ever say that to a terminally ill person. I'm not saying you have ever said it to a terminally ill person but please please don't. It is such a kick in the teeth. I once had a hospital consultant say something similar to me days after I received a diagnosis that cut my life expectancy in half. It's in the top five worst things anyone has ever said to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Airbus507 wrote: »
    We're all dying of a terminal illness, it's called life.

If you were really seriously ill … Rather glib and dismissive insulting to those of us who are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Life is a
    terminal disease

Eh, not necessarily. The cruel part of being terminally ill is that you are generally a lot less able than you once were when you want to do all the things.

For this wisdom, thank you! I am chronically and incurably but not terminally ill and increasingly limited. Something I am sure you understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We all have one. It's called Death and it's only a few years away. But people act like it's forever or that they'll make it that far.

As Lemmy said, "Killed by Death"....

As it is with any chronic serious illness. As I know only too well..

#

I don't know what I'd do. Nobody does unless they're in the situation. It's one of those things that's too horrific to be able to know. I might be so frozen with fear and devastation that I might not have the energy to do anything. I might succumb to deep depression. Or maybe the illness itself might impair the patient from doing all those bucket list things.

I think anyone would make the most of their remaining time if they could though. It would only be natural to think that way.

This pretty much sums it up for me. It's all well and good to say "I would go out and live life to the full" when you're in a hypothetical situation and not actually facing terminal illness. Until you actually find yourself in the position, it's very hard to know how you'll react.

I imagine the nature of the illness would also dictate it in part. I reckon my reaction would be different if faced with terminal cancer vs something like motor neurone disease. Again though, it's hard to tell as I am fortunately not currently in such a situation. Everyone's reaction to it will be different.

I am 100% in favour of legalising assisted dying. It is exceptionally cruel to deny that option to any person who has the mental capability to make the decision for themselves.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Life is a
    terminal disease

My vocabulary is too polite and limited to reply to that ******** as is needful LIFE is wonderful. A gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

You all a shower of boring fu¢kers, if I'd 6 months left I'd stay away from you lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The altnerative is you waste your final time on earth doing nothing but being miserable ,so yes. Horrible position but you have to be strong for those around you. Obviously your loved ones will be devastated but you shouldn't make them suffer ongoing emotional misery for your last few months/years. Try to make the last of your time together as impactful. Moping around is certainly not impactful for any of the right reasons. Easier said than done but feeling sorry for yourself until your pass will just clouds your loved one's last memories with them.

Nobody wants to be remembered for that. I'd try to be as positive as I could, I'd say yes to anything and everything and say **** it to say any hesitation because who cares about consequences if you're not going to be around for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

peasant wrote: »
    Exactly
    Not to be glib about it, but we're all terminally ill.

Putting a more or less exactly determined length on the time you have left surely puts things into focus, but for general outlook on life it does no harm to remind yourself that you will not live forever and perhaps focus on the moment a bit more and get more out of it.

Jaysus that's some tone deafness there if I ever heard it!
    We are all poor compared to Jeff Bezzos..it's of no reassurance to those starving in the third world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I would do so many drugs and hookers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I would do so many drugs and hookers

k3Akdy0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

k3Akdy0.gif

Preferably not go down the route of Patrick Bateman...

I am in the process of sorting " end of life" matters so that it will be easier for friends and family. Making a will etc, filling forms in. I really think we should all do that. Details of how and where I will be buried.

And my next task is to sort out all my small possessions; give things away. Make it easier for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AMKC wrote:
    So if you were told you had a terminal disease and say only 6 month to a year left that you could enjoy life still. Say you had plenty of money and the doctor said you should enjoy the time you have left. Would you and could you? I am not sure I could. I would be more concerned with been comfortable and relaxing at home. Maybe go swimming if I could and for nice walks in forests and along the beach.

In reality I'd probably become severally depressed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Danny552

I would take a big loan out and just travel and do anything I feel like doing, wont have to pay it back as you will be dead .

I wouldn't wait to be told I only have a year or so left to live I have ticked off a good bit of my bucket list already and I'm only 29. Some people wait till they retire and use there pension but sure you why wait till your 66, 70 if you make it to that age to start enjoying your life .

Better off having health on your side then wait till you get your pension to start doing what you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'd be up to my neck in fanny and beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just be with your family and friends more than you have been. All the travelling in the world doesn't mean anything if you have no one who cares for you.

Anyway it's looking like we are in the Departure Lounge and trying to dodge Covid anyway. That has stopped the bucket lists for many.

BTW I lost my sister at 48 and my Dad at 66, so I know the score. Many don't and speak without experience of end of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

AMKC wrote: »
    So if you were told you had a terminal disease and say only 6 month to a year left that you could enjoy life still. Say you had plenty of money and the doctor said you should enjoy the time you have left. Would you and could you?
    I am not sure I could. I would be more concerned with been comfortable and relaxing at home. Maybe go swimming if I could and for nice walks in forests and along the beach.

As someone in the position you have just described I can tell you that you can absolutely continue to enjoy life. If anything it becomes more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I would take mushrooms and DMT. At the moment I am too nervous to do that as I din't want to mess with what equilibrium I have, but I would go for it if dying. The plan is to try them anyway once over 70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Life is a
    terminal disease
    An Ri rua wrote: »
    We all have one. It's called Death and it's only a few years away. But people act like it's forever or that they'll make it that far.

As Lemmy said, "Killed by Death"....
    Have you any sensitivity towards people who have a terminal illness? "Life is a terminal illness" is so insensitive. No we don't all have a terminal illness. Only people with a terminal illness have a terminal illness. People already used that line in the thread before you also - it didn't look insightful and profound then, so it certainly doesn't look it when repeated.

The rest have the chance of living until they are old, and without the pain of being diagnosed with a terminal illness early in life and gruelling treatments.
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    The altnerative is you waste your final time on earth doing nothing but being miserable ,so yes. Horrible position but you have to be strong for those around you. Obviously your loved ones will be devastated but you shouldn't make them suffer ongoing emotional misery for your last few months/years. Try to make the last of your time together as impactful. Moping around is certainly not impactful for any of the right reasons. Easier said than done but feeling sorry for yourself until your pass will just clouds your loved one's last memories with them.

Nobody wants to be remembered for that. I'd try to be as positive as I could, I'd say yes to anything and everything and say **** it to say any hesitation because who cares about consequences if you're not going to be around for them
    You don't know until you receive the diagnosis. People who actually have received such nightmare news don't need to be lectured. I think most people would also prefer not to cause their loved ones additional pain but the terminally ill patient is going to have good days and bad days... and right after their diagnosis they're going to need a good deal of time, understanding and patience to process things. Being cheery and optimistic and productive won't be top of the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Please please please don't ever say that to a terminally ill person. I'm not saying you have ever said it to a terminally ill person but please please don't. It is such a kick in the teeth. I once had a hospital consultant say something similar to me days after I received a diagnosis that cut my life expectancy in half. It's in the top five worst things anyone has ever said to me.

It's true though... life is terminal.

We humans can get very complacent, because we think we have 85-90 years in this life.

I prefer to take the mentality of a wild animal, that never knows where it's next meal is coming from or whether it will survive until tomorrow.

AMKC wrote: »
    So if you were told you had a terminal disease and say only 6 month to a year left that you could enjoy life still. Say you had plenty of money and the doctor said you should enjoy the time you have left. Would you and could you?
    I am not sure I could. I would be more concerned with been comfortable and relaxing at home. Maybe go swimming if I could and for nice walks in forests and along the beach.

Being comfortable, relaxing, and going for nice walks is enjoying life if it’s what makes you happy.

Just be with your family and friends more than you have been. All the travelling in the world doesn't mean anything if you have no one who cares for you.

Anyway it's looking like we are in the Departure Lounge and trying to dodge Covid anyway. That has stopped the bucket lists for many.

BTW I lost my sister at 48 and my Dad at 66, so I know the score. Many don't and speak without experience of end of life.

Commiserations, fellow-traveller. I lost my only brother at 19 and my mother at 68, both violent accidental deaths, and yes it alters your perspective. Gives life a huge value as it is so fragile .

It's true though... life is terminal.

That is not what terminal means. Wrong word. Finite yes but that does not mean we go round in emotional sackcloth and ashes! Until and unless you are facing imminent death ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is not what terminal means. Wrong word. Finite yes but that does not mean we go round in emotional sackcloth and ashes! Until and unless you are facing imminent death ..

Everyone has the right to view their life and death how they see fit.

There is an arrogant supposition being made by some here, that one cannot have the same understanding of death or the true value of life... unless you have been given a diagnosis of a terminal disease.

This is quite frankly, bullsh!t...

You have no idea what other people have gone through in their lives. Many people will endure things that are in some cases much more challenging than facing an early exit from this life. There is such a thing as a living hell for some people. A nightmare they wake up to everyday, rather than going to sleep to experience!

There should be more respect given to everyone's personal experiences in this life... instead of certain people trying to elevate their particular circumstances to a point where they are somehow more qualified to give their opinion. This is an arrogant stance to take!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

no

What?

Advertisement