Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strictly without prejudice

Options
  • 28-09-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Can anyone explain to me what strictly without prejudice would mean on a solicitors letter?

It would be in the context of someone being accused (falsely) of defamation. I have often heard the phrase without prejudice but never strictly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

The best way to think of it is that it means that neither party can rely on what is said in the letter in any future proceedings or negotiations.

The word "strictly" doesn't have any magic additional meaning. It's simply the solicitor drawing your attention to the fact that it's not to be relied on if the case develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The best way to think of it is that it means that neither party can rely on what is said in the letter in any future proceedings or negotiations.

The word "strictly" doesn't have any magic additional meaning. It's simply the solicitor drawing your attention to the fact that it's not to be relied on if the case develops.

And I suppose it’s significant that the author may only rely on such a caveat where the letter is aimed squarely at reaching agreement so as to avoid litigation.

It’s not a catch all that can be installed at the top of all correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Lenar3556 wrote: »

It’s not a catch all that can be installed at the top of all correspondence.

Yeah, I think sometimes even some solicitors think it's a magic form of words which makes the letter disappear.

Advertisement