Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House next to a Quarry

Options
  • 28-09-2020 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for a little advice maybe someone in the same situation.
    I'm looking at buying a house 14 years old, but it's right next to a Quarry.
    There's a little green between the house and the quarry currently, but it's owned by the quarry and I expect they might expand.
    Does anyone know how close to a private house a quarry can go?

They have no planning in currently for an expansion but it's a strong possibility as they have already expanded their other quarries recently.
    Obviously I'd be getting a structural engineer.
    Also the house has it's own water well close to the boundary.

I've googled and search county council information but can't find anything clear on to how close they can work to a private dwelling.

Thanks
    OCJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wouldn't buy a house next to a quarry..Aside from potential structural issues, it would be like living inside a drum kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Thanks,
    I'm thinking that also. But it is a nice house. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy a house next to a quarry..Aside from potential structural issues, it would be like living inside a drum kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

And the dust from quarries can be quite dangerous and damage your lungs

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

A lot of quarries operate in Ireland illegally. I wouldnt buy the house. The owner could restart operations at any time and you could face a very long battle trying to get them to work under proper planning permission. You also need to take into account traffic into and out of the site, noise & vibration issues, dust, PM10 deposition which cause lung damage, rats, flooding, blasting, future difficulties selling on the house in future. I'd stay well away.

From a former minerals planner.

It is still an operational Quarry. But the traffic goes the opposite direction from the house.
    I was thinking of the structural damage but never really though of the effects from dust . tks for pointing that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You will constantly be washing your vehicles / windows. You will have dirt or dust on your clean washing lines, You will hear siren blasts maybe once a week if not twice depending on how busy they are. You may get lung problems from the dust coming into the building.

Dont do it. No house is worth that level of proximity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I thought you meant a non working quarry .. have you spent a few hours there when it is working? However lovely the house is..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You can probably expect insurance issues too.
    You might not be considering resale if it's a forever home but if you ever sell, your potential buyers market will definitely be smaller.

What state will the quarry be in if and when it's exhausted and they move on? You could be looking at an eyesore for decades.

The agent was clever and only had viewings on the weekend. But I was due to go look at the area for a while during the week and ask some of the neighbours what it was like. Unfortunately I can't leave the county at the min.
    But sounds like I'd be mad to pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

ocj wrote: »
    The agent was clever and only had viewings on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

I’d stay well away. It’s not exactly a small problem. You’ll have trucks passing your house all day, dust everywhere, roads outside destroyed, unbelievable noise, possible structural issues, problems reselling, health risks...etc there’s too many issues related to it! (Sorry to knock it for you).

As for asking the neighbours, I’d take their opinions with a pinch of salt. A lot won’t admit if they are unhappy there and some won’t tell the truth out of loyalty to their current neighbour who is trying to sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rock quarry - expect blasting.

Gravel quarry - expect slippage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Not good for your health with all the dust
    Then diesel fumes and what ever chemicals the use

:):):):) and their wonky floors.
    meijin wrote: »

Appreciate all the responses, all good points.
    Back on to Daft it seems :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

Appreciate all the responses, all good points.
    Back on to Daft it seems :(

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Regardless of price..I'd look elsewhere for a house..even by posting here you're already questioning your own ideas to purchase this house..also given the good advice from other posters its fairly clear that even if the price seems right ..its right for a very negative reason.. move on..

I imagine it is good value for a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If it's sand and gravel, the only dust should be from the trucks driving in dry weather, as the sand is washed, it's always damp, if it's a rock quarry then you will have dust all the time from the crushing of stone, also a lot of noise and regular blasting, another downside of living near a quarry is it could become a landfill when the quarrying is finished .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

There's a good chance the vendors are selling up BECAUSE of the quarry OP, even if nobody tells you that directly.

Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The agent was clever and only had viewings on the weekend. But I was due to go look at the area for a while during the week and ask some of the neighbours what it was like. Unfortunately I can't leave the county at the min.
    But sounds like I'd be mad to pursue it.

I agree! caveat emptor..

I once was about to rent a lovely place. Viewings were I think Sunday afternoon? I happened to glance out of the window and there was a large timber yard next door.. Bye!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

If it's sand and gravel, the only dust should be from the trucks driving in dry weather, as the sand is washed, it's always damp, if it's a rock quarry then you will have dust all the time from the crushing of stone, also a lot of noise and regular blasting, another downside of living near a quarry is it could become a landfill when the quarrying is finished .

Agree. I know of a local quarry that is now used for farm waste disposal. The pile of waste bags is growing higher and higher. Not pretty.

Advertisement