Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Orentation and Cul De Sac v Main Road

Options
  • 03-07-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

Just looking to gather some opinions on below.

1. The front of the house is facing east, slightly to north east, but basically it is east and back garden is facing slightly towards SW , but it is basically West, just few degrees a difference.

The house on this location, has nice open green area in front and cul de sac area, but has a house to the side of the back garden maybe 8 metres from the the house, but nothing else right behind the garden.

2. The front of the house is facing north, slightly to the west (few degrees of difference) but generically speaking is North, and back garden is facing south

The house is facing the main road of the estate, and then has another house and its garden behind it.

Just looking to see what you think in terms of getting sun, re-sale value in the future and general opinions on this. For me personally, I would prefer sun in the afternoon in the garden in the afternoon and then sun in the morning in front of the house. I also believe both sides of the house should get sun to avoid dampness.

What do you also think about cul de sac area with open green area v main road in this example?

The master bedroom for these houses are at the back of the house, while sitting room is front of the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Option 1 for me. In fact you've pretty much described the aspect of our house. Lots of sun late into the summer evenings. Also sunshine on our master bedroom (at the front obviously) in the mornings. I'd have a cul de over a main road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

first one deffo,

our garden is west and we get plenty of sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Overall size of the gardens would be important.

Also what you've described around being overlooked sounds a bit close for comfort.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not just about the aspect. You have to take into account the size and shape of the garden, and any tall structures around it, or anything higher up than it if you're on a slope.

Our garden faces directly north, but gets sun all day until 7pm at the height of summer. The south facing gardens directly behind us gets less than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 djunmark

Thank you.

Yes, for me also option 1 sound good. I am just a bit conscious of the fact that there is another house and its side is facing left of garden, but not directly. This house is located approx 1.5 from the end of the garden. The actual garden length is approx 6.5 metres. Directly there is nothing behind it. And I wonder if that would block the sun. For summer, defo not. probably slightly for couple hours in February and starting March, the rest should be good I think, since the sun position increases.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Overall size of the gardens would be important.

Also what you've described around being overlooked sounds a bit close for comfort.

The garden is approx 70 square m. Sorry, what did you mean by 'a bit close for comfort'

Thanks

Another question would be - what would be your preference for below points:

1. Smaller back garden e.g 65 square metres with more privacy in the garden as there is no house overlooking from the front. Front of the house has large green open area and is cul de sac. House facing East, back garden facing West.

2. Larger back garden e.g 85 square metres with less privacy and house facing the main road of the estate. House front facing North, Garden facing South.

The actual houses are same.

Just trying to gather some general opinions, and how above would affect re-sale value in the future.

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not a fan house opening onto main roads. The cul de sac and green space sounds immeasurably better imo. Do you have kids (or intend to)? That green space could save you some stress.

As for the back garden, obviously everyone would like the bigger garden but you'd need to weigh up the additional factors. I like having the west facing garden as, in the summer months, we can sit out and relax after the little one has gone to bed. The sun is there until late in the evening. As Awec mentioned earlier, surrounding structures and gradients can have an effect on how much sunlight you actually get so you'd need to have a look at specifics of this yourself. With the south facer you'll have sun for most of the day except the evening (any side fences will impede it). How big of an issue is the privacy to you? I can't say it'd be too much of a factor for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You also need to consider, what is going to happen to the two big empty spaces in front and behind your house. They might become or already are gathering points for the local youth with loud noise until the early hours. Or the owner might decide to build an apartment block on them in the future. Less likely with Option 2.

mdebets wrote: »
    You also need to consider, what is going to happen to the two big empty spaces in front and behind your house. They might become or already are gathering points for the local youth with loud noise until the early hours. Or the owner might decide to build an apartment block on them in the future. Less likely with Option 2.

Yes very good point. Thanks. I actually considered this and checked with local county council, and they advised that when initial development plans are submitted and if there is open space specified in the plan they cannot ask for another plan to build something on the open green space in the future. I hope this is correct. Back garden is facing other gardens.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    I'm not a fan house opening onto main roads. The cul de sac and green space sounds immeasurably better imo. Do you have kids (or intend to)? That green space could save you some stress.

As for the back garden, obviously everyone would like the bigger garden but you'd need to weigh up the additional factors. I like having the west facing garden as, in the summer months, we can sit out and relax after the little one has gone to bed. The sun is there until late in the evening. As Awec mentioned earlier, surrounding structures and gradients can have an effect on how much sunlight you actually get so you'd need to have a look at specifics of this yourself. With the south facer you'll have sun for most of the day except the evening (any side fences will impede it). How big of an issue is the privacy to you? I can't say it'd be too much of a factor for me.

Thank you. Yes, I also think for the kids this would be great and I also believe it would more quiet unless teenagers start hanging around the open space in late hours. I don't mind kids using the open area for playing.

So I am just trying to weight up the options for both safety, privacy and also re-sale value in the future.

I also think bigger gardens would require more maintenance to keep it nice which is obviously more costly and more time consuming, so just interested to see what people prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

djunmark wrote: »
    Thank you. Yes, I also think for the kids this would be great and I also believe it would more quiet unless teenagers start hanging around the open space in late hours. I don't mind kids using the open area for playing.

So I am just trying to weight up the options for both safety, privacy and also re-sale value in the future.

I also think bigger gardens would require more maintenance to keep it nice which is obviously more costly and more time consuming, so just interested to see what people prefer.

neither is particularly big (but a dublin size garden) i dont think maintenance is an issue.

Cyrus wrote: »
    neither is particularly big (but a dublin size garden) i dont think maintenance is an issue.

Thank you. I dont know exact measurements, but probably it is max 90 square m for south facing while west facing is probably max 65 square m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I prefer a cul de sac but if theres a lot of kids it can become a playpen.

beauf wrote: »
    I prefer a cul de sac but if theres a lot of kids it can become a playpen.

Maybe, I never lived in Cul Del Sac area with open green in front, but I assume it should be safer compared to main road in the estate, and maybe re-sale value would be higher in this case, because of the location? But, not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The issue is if kids and teenagers hanging out there becomes an issue. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Yes fully agree. What would be general opinion on sale values - main road of the estate v cul de sac areas? Do cul de sac areas usually hold higher prices? Probably it depends on different factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

How busy is that main road? Personally I wouldn't buy in a cul de sac, but then I don't have kids. The ones in my estate tend to be very noisy during the summer. Don't overthink it though, every house has its positives and negatives, I'd just go with the one that suits your needs better.

miezekatze wrote: »
    How busy is that main road? Personally I wouldn't buy in a cul de sac, but then I don't have kids. The ones in my estate tend to be very noisy during the summer. Don't overthink it though, every house has its positives and negatives, I'd just go with the one that suits your needs better.

It is a new estate maybe 100+ houses so it would not be that be busy I guess. The good about this cul de sac is that it also has an open green area just in front of the house so it would be great for the kids, and in general not many cars would be passing by the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Looly8726

djunmark wrote: »
    Hello,

Just looking to gather some opinions on below.

1. The front of the house is facing east, slightly to north east, but basically it is east and back garden is facing slightly towards SW , but it is basically West, just few degrees a difference.

The house on this location, has nice open green area in front and cul de sac area, but has a house to the side of the back garden maybe 8 metres from the the house, but nothing else right behind the garden.

2. The front of the house is facing north, slightly to the west (few degrees of difference) but generically speaking is North, and back garden is facing south

The house is facing the main road of the estate, and then has another house and its garden behind it.

Just looking to see what you think in terms of getting sun, re-sale value in the future and general opinions on this. For me personally, I would prefer sun in the afternoon in the garden in the afternoon and then sun in the morning in front of the house. I also believe both sides of the house should get sun to avoid dampness.

What do you also think about cul de sac area with open green area v main road in this example?

The master bedroom for these houses are at the back of the house, while sitting room is front of the house.

Thanks

I currently live on a cul de sac with open green to the front and south west facing back garden. House is overlooked at the rear. Love living on a cul de sac and overlooking a green. Would never buy a house facing main road. Love the evening sun with the westerly aspect of the garden. I’d go option 1 I think as you can look out your front and back windows and not be looking into someone else’s house. You might get some shade from the house to the side of option 1 but the privacy is worth IMO.

• Advertisement

Looly8726 wrote: »
    I currently live on a cul de sac with open green to the front and south west facing back garden. House is overlooked at the rear. Love living on a cul de sac and overlooking a green. Would never buy a house facing main road. Love the evening sun with the westerly aspect of the garden. I’d go option 1 I think as you can look out your front and back windows and not be looking into someone else’s house. You might get some shade from the house to the side of option 1 but the privacy is worth IMO.

Thanks. Yes, we are thinking similar. Even this specific house has a smaller garden, it seems there will be more privacy as no houses really overlooking and also evening sun appeals to us a lot, especially in the summer time, as we would get late sun in the evening in the back garden.

I agree about the shade of the house to the side, I think we would be only shaded around 2-4pm from February to start of March. The rest should be fine I think. Thanks to Sun Surveyor app. Of course during winter is different again, but we usually don't get that much sun anyway in here during that time. And in general I think both sides of the house getting sun probably means less chances of getting damp.

Of course a combination of green open area, above points and the area of cul de sac sounds good, but as always there is always some some pros and cons but probably overall pros overweight the cons, especially in terms of safety for kids.

Probably main road would be good also as the estate is not so big. Probably 90+ houses, but I think for me aspect, late evening sun in the garden, privacy and cul de sac with open green space overweights the bigger garden/option 2.

Advertisement