Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 Black Edition or VW CC?

• 14-07-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

looking at buying one of the above. Both are 2014, Audi 142 VW 141 plates. Both same price.
    Audi is the A4 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line Black Edition with Multitronic transmission. Comes with all the bells and whistles, Bang & Oleffson sound system, 19" black alloys etc.
    VW is the CC 2.0 TDI 140 GT , comes with panoramic sunroof, 18" alloys, 2 tone black and red leather.
    Both cars done a few miles, 109k miles the VW, 129k miles the Audi. Both have service history.
    I'm torn between them. The automatic transmission in the Audi blew me away, I've never liked automatics in the past, but this one is so smooth and seamless. Can use the paddles too if I want to change manually. Nice interior, quite sporty.
    On the other hand the CC is a lovely looking car, the red and black leather is gorgeous.
    Any thoughts? My heart says Audi, that transmission is bliss, but will it break! The wheels are really nice, but in a couple of years those tires will need replacing. The VW is better looking, and in the long run I expect will cost me less. It has a high spec too being the GT version, with heated seats and the sunroof etc.
    Any potential problems I should know about? Anyone had their heart broken by either?
    I don't do a lot of miles, it's more for pleasure. I drive a van for work, so for evenings and weekends only. Mrs intends to learn, but has been intending to learn for years, so may never happen.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you thought Multitronic was good you should try DSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

Don't go for the heart breaker go with the bells and whistles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

McCrack wrote: »
    Don't go for the heart breaker go with the bells and whistles

But which one is that? 😀

Older multitronic boxes had a bin of a bad rep and were nicknamed multichronic. I assume that’s the heart breaker.

Much as I like the CC and am lukewarm about A4s in general - I’d probably have the Audi ahead of it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Older multitronic boxes had a bin of a bad rep and were nicknamed multichronic. I assume that’s the heart breaker.

Much as I like the CC and am lukewarm about A4s in general - I’d probably have the Audi ahead of it.

Is 2014 an early one? I've never looked at automatics before.

• Advertisement

Is 2014 an early one? I've never looked at automatics before.

No, you’d be talking 2001 shape with the 1.9 engine. The newer ones are grand. The DSG is a much nicer box and is available on the CC, they didn’t do DSG on the generation A4 2.0 that you’re looking at.

Thanks, what about the milage? Is 129k miles too high? The CC has 109k miles.
    There's a 2012 BMW 318d too that is cheaper,but I'm leaning more towards the other 2. Even though the BMW has lower miles at 95k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Hard to believe they are both priced the same. The Audi would normally be at least 2 grand dearer depending on mileage and condition. I've had both. Go with the Audi, it's a far superior car and will hold its value better. Dsg box is crazy good though

My current car is off the road, the garage I bought it from has the cars I mentioned. He is offering me a good trade in for mine, which I'd struggle to beat if I sold it privately. I looked at a few other local dealers but was unhappy with the trade in values they offered. Some offered insultingly low money. So I've decided I'm going to buy one of these cars off the current dealer.
    The VW CC he has is a manual.
    I was a bit concerned on potential future costs with the Audi. It's going to cost me around €100 more per annul on insurance over the CC based on a quick internet quote I've done. One day those 19" tyres are going to need replacing which won't be cheap. But the CC has 18" wheels, so won't exactly be budget tyres either.
    Only €80 difference in road tax a year with the Audi being €280 and the CC €200. But I'd get an extra 30hp for that to help keep me amused.
    Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

I had a 2012 audi a4 with that multitronic box and while it never gave me any trouble in the 2 years i had it, i never really liked it. It feels laboured and sluggish to me personally.

Then in february i bought an 152 R-Line CC 177 with the DSG box and i love it. So much better than the multitronic. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

The A4 is a nicer place to be, nicer to drive and I prefer it's looks to the CC. No competition for me, especially considering the CC is manual. This alone I think would lead to a lot more depreciation.

In saying that, I personally wouldn't buy either with those miles. Yes they will do a lot more driving but the residual value will be terrible.

I've now started looking at a 2016 used BMW at the main dealer. They do used car pcp over 4 yrs, monthly payments will be the same as the 2 cars I was already looking at. Get 2yrs warranty. Car has to have under 90k kilometers. The dealer has 1 318d Sport in stock that just meets that criteria for 20995 with 89000 kilometers on it.
    Advantage with one of the other 2 is that I'd own them outright at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PCP for 4 years on a 3 year old car? That doesn't sound correct as the car would be 7 years old by the time it's matured and of not much use to the dealer if you return it. You sure your not confusing PCP with regular HP finance?

Also you need to look at how much the finance is costing you over the entire term of the loan rather than just how much it's costing every month. Too many people out only looking at the monthly figure yet not knowing how cheap or expensive the finance is costing them in total. I can also tell you that BMW dealers are not the most charitable types so you can be sure on a 3 year old used car any finance they offer will have a fairly hefty amount of interest included in it. BTW 21k for a 3 year old 318d is hardly great value.

bazz26 wrote: »
    PCP for 4 years on a 3 year old car? That doesn't sound correct as the car would be 7 years old by the time it's matured and of not much use to the dealer if you return it. You sure your not confusing PCP with regular HP finance?

Also you need to look at how much the finance is costing you over the entire term of the loan rather than just how much it's costing every month. Too many people out only looking at the monthly figure yet not knowing how cheap or expensive the finance is costing them in total. I can also tell you that BMW dealers are not the most charitable types so you can be sure on a 3 year old used car any finance they offer will have a fairly hefty amount of interest included in it. BTW 21k for a 3 year old 318d is hardly great value.

Thanks, the one I spotted was at a ColmQuinn BMW dealer. They told me they do pcp over 4yrs on cars up to 3yrs old with under 90k kilometers on. There was a 2017 Mini with a finance poster in window too, car 19,995, deposit/trade in 2900, 48 monthly payments of 299, GFV roughly around 8000.
    From a quick calculation, with GFV of 8500 that's 11500 on finance, -2900 deposit = 8600 to finance, 48 X 299= 14352 !!! So I would be paying €17250 for €12000 depreciation.
    You're right, it's not such a good deal. The car would probably be worth around the GFV, but not much more. That's based on the 19995 mini too, the BMW is 1000 more.

Advertisement