Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 EUR when you switch current account to PTSB

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

FrStone wrote: »
    Would I have to pay off my bank of Ireland credit card before switching over to them?

No, you can transfer your balance as well and get a few months with 0% interest on it. You can read about it here: https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/credit-card/ice-visa-credit-card/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Does anyone know how long it takes to transfer an account? Would I be without access to my cash for long?

Your Permanent TSB account is opened immediately and you have access to internet banking immediately.

You then receive an ATM/Debit card a few days later.

You can transfer money from your old bank account to your new permanent TSB account online at anytime, though I wouldn't do that until you receive the ATM card.

If you opt to have them close your old bank account, then they will automatically transfer any money in the old account to your new PTSB account, but you don't have to wait, you can transfer the money yourself before the closing date, I did this.

All really easy and straight forward.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheTorment wrote: »
    I've my account with AIB and am sick of their quarterly fees.
    My mortgage is with them too. Can I still switch even though my mortgage is with AIB?

Yes, I did, mortgage, credit card, some savings accounts with AIB, but I closed my current account with them. No problem, even AIB online banking continues to work.

Just double check with AIB mortgage center that they have received the new direct debit mandate from PTSB. They did in my case with no issues, but no harm in double checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kirsten Sassoon

blastman wrote: »
    I've been with them since they were Irish Permanent, not had any problems. The free banking is great, although I don't know if new customers still get that.
    Yeah, I have been with them since Irish Permanent and get free banking too, unless overdrawn.

However, now you have to have 1500 deposited every month to qualify.

I had a missed call from the local branch at 6pm last week, the first time I have ever received a call from them. Turns out it was my "Account Liaison Manager" wanting to advise me about new products. ANNOYING!

Far more annoying was the fact that I was just making an on-line payment and as I clicked "Confirm Payment" I got logged out with a PTSB message saying not to worry, they log you out now and then for security reasons. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I just got a letter from AIB telling me that my account was changing from a Graduate account to a regular account and I will now have to pay fees. I'm tempted by this but the only thing that turns me off is that more people are AIB, which is handy for instant transactions.

How is PTSB internet banking? Do their cards work at all machines?

• Advertisement

However, now you have to have 1500 deposited every month to qualify.

True, but unlike the other banks you don't have to keep the money in the account in order to qualify for the free banking, you can remove the money immediately after.

So you can just have your wages paid into your account or you can even just set up a direct debit to transfer the money monthly from a savings account and then transfer it straight back to the savings account.

I know not possible for everyone, but it should cover most people. Far better then having to keep €2,500 permanently in your AIB account in order to qualify for free banking!
    I had a missed call from the local branch at 6pm last week, the first time I have ever received a call from them. Turns out it was my "Account Liaison Manager" wanting to advise me about new products. ANNOYING!

All banks do that, you opted in to marketing when you signed up for the account. You most not have noticed or understood what it meant when you signed up to the account and checked the box. You could have opted out of marketing at that stage.

When they call next time simply ask them to opt you out of their direct marketing database and they won't contact you again.
    Tusky wrote: »
    How is PTSB internet banking? Do their cards work at all machines?

I switched from AIB to PTSB a few weeks ago, so I can probably help.

Yes, their ATM/Visa Debit cards work at all ATM's, same as AIB and are also contactless payment cards and work around the world at the vast majority of machines (Visa).

Their online banking and mobile banking apps are fine and modern, better then the old AIB online/mobile banking, but not as good as the new AIB online banking website and mobile app that they launched in the last 3 months. Basically AIB have leapfrogged them.

It definitely isn't a major deal, just I'd like to see them update their mobile app to be more like the new AIB app or even better the Ulsterbank app.

The PTSB app asks you to enter your customer number, full password and 3 digits of your 6 digit PIN to log in, which is a pain to enter every time on the phone.

The new AIB app allows you to view your account balance without even logging in and you only have to enter 3 digits of your 6 digit pin to log in. MUCH easier.

The best is the ulsterbank iphone app, that uses touch ID when available to log in super quickly. Brilliant for keeping up with you account.

I know not a big deal, it is worth giving up on these for free banking, but I do hope PTSB update their app with similar functionality in future.

On the other hand I much prefer the way PTSB send numbers by text to your phone for 2 factor authorization, much easier then the complicated card reader AIB give you.

Small differences on the whole, I'm very happy having changed. No more being ripped off by AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thanks BK. I've just started the process to switch from AIB as well so it's good to get some feedback. I really like the new app AIB released recently but I suppose it isn't the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

bk wrote: »
    The new AIB app allows you to view your account balance without even logging in

Surely that's in violation of the data protection act?!

Surely that's in violation of the data protection act?!

How would it be?

First of all, it is completely optional, you have to specifically opt into it in the settings.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend it if you leave your phone unlocked with out a passcode of some sort.

However if you have your phone encrypted, and use a passcode or even better touch id (fingerprint scanner), then really it is super secure.

And even at that worst case scenario someone could find out the balance of your account, not exactly NSA level secrets there! They can't withdraw or do anything with you internet banking passcode.

If you think about, go look at the little bin on some ATM machines full of receipts with peoples balances on them, far less secure then touch id encrypted phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Im sick of AIB and their fees aswell.

I have an overdraft with aib though, if i want to transfer to PTSB and avail of the offer do i need to pay that off first?

• Advertisement

rogieop wrote: »
    I have an overdraft with aib though, if i want to transfer to PTSB and avail of the offer do i need to pay that off first?

Probably, but talk to PTSB, they may give you an overdraft or loan to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

I opened an account on Monday to avail of this deal and to get away from BoI fees. Very smooth process really once you have your ID, proof of address and current account/credit card statements. The head office contacted me today to stay that the current account had been opened successfully and that all of my direct debits and standing orders would be switched on Monday. All I have to do is contact Vodafone and Sky to change my debit details with them as they are based in the UK (the Sky details can actually be changed online on MySky). They also said that as the switching process was taking place on Monday and the BoI account was being closed that I should take out enough cash over the weekend to last until Tuesday/Wednesday so that I the money will have transferred into the newly opened account and I should have the new debit card by then also. Can't really complain so far apart from the app having a much less user-friendly login process!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

My account was opened last Friday and I received the card and pin this morning, probably a little disruption from the post issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

FYI if you plan on applying for a mortgage in the future. DONT switch your credit card. One of the elements of a credit score is how long you have had a line of credit open eg a credit card. If you close your credit card with say AIB to open one in PTSB, it will reduce your credit score

newacc2015 wrote: »
    FYI if you plan on applying for a mortgage in the future. DONT switch your credit card. One of the elements of a credit score is how long you have had a line of credit open eg a credit card. If you close your credit card with say AIB to open one in PTSB, it will reduce your credit score

That isn't true at all!

They look at your complete credit history, which includes all credit cards, loans, etc. with all banks, not just the bank you are applying to for the mortgage.

I use to frequently change my credit card (like every 9 months) in order to get the best deals and I had no problem getting a mortgage.

The key is too pay off your credit card in full every month and thus prove you are a good credit risk. Not how long you had it.

BTW Another minor niggle I've discovered with PTSB versus AIB, is that with PTSB you have to decide to either get your statements by post or as estatements, you can't have them as both, like you can opt to do with AIB.

I really hope they update their iphone app soon with touch id login support like the Ulster Bank app, that is so much more convenient to keep track of your account balances. The PTSB app works, but it looks seriously out of date and old fashioned compared to the modern new AIB and Ulster Bank apps. Not good in our modern world of mobile users. I assume they are working on a major upgrade, fingers crossed.

Also it is a real pity they don't have a Talk To forum here on boards like AIB, KBC and BOI. Would be good for them to show themselves as a modern young tech and socially savy company. I have to say KBC is doing a great job at that.

BTW One last thing, I notice they now only support buying credit for Vodafone and Meteor online, no Three/02, Tesco, ID, etc.

Edit: Wow, it turns out Ulster Bank even supports the Apple Watch! Seems they have a fantastic app development team:

http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking/apple-watch.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

bk wrote:
    BTW One last thing, I notice they now only support buying credit for Vodafone and Meteor online, no Three/02, Tesco, ID, etc.

They used to accept O2, I guess with the merger they removed the service and/or are working with 3 to bring it back and include them as well.

Also you can always download your transaction history from the website, unless they have changed it

lulzordan wrote: »
    They used to accept O2, I guess with the merger they removed the service and/or are working with 3 to bring it back and include them as well.

Yes, I expect so. For a while they had a message on their site about how you could top up if you were a former o2 customer but not a former three customer or something like that. But I'm sure that caused a lot of confusion and customer support calls, so they are probably right to remove it completely until Three sort out their mess. However no excuse not to have Tesco, etc.
    lulzordan wrote: »
    Also you can always download your transaction history from the website, unless they have changed it

You are right, they do still have the ability to download your transactions as PDF or spreadsheet. However a list of transactions is different (less official) from an actual statement.

AIB allows you to download estatements, download transactions and still get paper statements at the same time. They used allow this in the past, having the same restriction as PTSB, but they loosened up on that and I hope PTSB do the same.

One final niggle, PTSB has text notifications, for instance when a large withdrawal is made. However they don't say how much was withdrawn or by whom!

So basically you get a text saying there was a large withdrawal and you then have to try and log into their mobile app with the customer number, password and 6 digit PIN to look it up!! A very inconvenient process.

Ulster bank on the other hand display the amount in their text notifications and you can even request your account balance by text. AIB doesn't have text notifications, but they do have email notifications and they also include the actual amount.

Much more convenient. Now I realise some people might be concerned about privacy, but I think that is why it should be an option if the actual amounts or displayed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,942 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wow, it turns out Ulster Bank even supports the Apple Watch! Seems they have a fantastic app development team:

http://digital.ulsterbank.ie/personal/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking/apple-watch.html

And they recently launched a very decent Windows Phone App

That's one of the main reasons I'm not switching at this point. Although a free €50 is always tempting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Anyone ever get the hundred quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I really hope they update their iphone app soon with touch id login support like the Ulster Bank app, that is so much more convenient to keep track of your account balances. The PTSB app works, but it looks seriously out of date and old fashioned compared to the modern new AIB and Ulster Bank apps. Not good in our modern world of mobile users. I assume they are working on a major upgrade, fingers crossed.

They're not, I asked. I agree the app is horrendous but they won't be replacing it anytime soon. All it is is their mobile website wrapped in a phonegap package, it's not even a proper native application. All you're doing is essentially opening a browser to their mobile site when you use the app. It's cheap and making a native app with touchid etc. would require a significant investment. Personally, I'm looking at moving to Number26 as my bank :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

Elessar wrote: »
    They're not, I asked. I agree the app is horrendous but they won't be replacing it anytime soon. All it is is their mobile website wrapped in a phonegap package, it's not even a proper native application. All you're doing is essentially opening a browser to their mobile site when you use the app. It's cheap and making a native app with touchid etc. would require a significant investment. Personally, I'm looking at moving to Number26 as my bank :)

Usually I'm very conservative about switching banks (switched from Ulster Bank to PTSB 3 months ago) but I've been using Number26 the last month and the app itself is worth making another switch, being a free bank comes second...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Do people still pay fees with their bank? Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Patww79 wrote: »
    How do you suggest avoiding them?

This thread might have some clues!

PTSB have no fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I moved from AIB to PTSB. I was paying roughly €50 a quarter on fees. Moved to PTSB and once €1,500 or more is lodged every month there is no fees. AFAIK if you do not have €1,500 a month going in then it is capped at €12 a quarter :)

Elessar wrote: »

That would be an incredibly stupid move for PTSB. Developing a native app wouldn't cost all that much and it would likely pay for itself with people using less branch resources with a good app.

A high quality native app is becoming increasingly important for all banks and PTSB really should be careful not to get left behind on this.

It is surprising as their website is actually quiet good, they just need to employ or contract an iOS developer and an android developer.

I'm a recent convert to PTSB and largely very happy, the only issue I have is the poor app and I'm watching Number26 with great interest to see how that develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I think it will last. I don't see them stopping it. KBC have a very similar offer so they are kind of competing at the moment re; no fees.

The only issues I had was with Non-euro transactions. PTSB add 1.75% of the euro value to any non euro transactions. Purchased a phone on Rakuten.co.uk and got paid about €9 fee for it.

I booked a hotel in the UK a few weeks ago and they detected the card was from an Irish bank and they gave the option of paying in euro or pound which helps!

Also, regarding the app. It is a very bad UI. I use my browser on my phone and switch to the desktop site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Looks good. I needed a kick up the arse to finally move my account.

Can anybody see any potential drawbacks with this deal?
    Any issues with using PTSB?

I rarely use my CC, and pay it off monthly so i'm not bothered by the interest rate.

I've a small loan with AIB which should be paid off before Christmas. Once that's paid off I'm happy to cut my ties with them.

A nightmare to deal with. Incapable of sorting out issues over the phone, all has to be done in the branch. Takes ages to sort things in the branches, they won't sort you out at the tellers' desks, you have to join the large, slow queue for the one customer service person. Mobile app is hopeless; they may as well not have bothered. Online is OK, as long as they manage not to delete your accounts.

Their switching service doesn't work completely (don't think that makes them unique in Ireland though).

I still have a savings account with about a tenner in it with them because it's too awkward to get it back from them (have to apply in writing and they'll only pay by cheque).

Advertisement