Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U8 Bluetooth Smart Watch / Fitness meter €12.87

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Be warned, this watches pairing app seems to connect to some Chinese IP address for unknown reasons..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/02/chinese_backdoor_found_in_ebays_popular_cheap_smart_watch/
    "We ran dynamic and behavioural analysis (on the pairing app) and discovered that when it was paired, it started communicating outbound over a random IP address to China,"

"We don't know what the IP address is. "In terms of corporate espionage, in terms of risk, there's definitely a lot of suspicious behaviours there."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Not unique to this product, some cheap Chinese wireless storage devices, for accessing SD cards over a network, have hardwired open ports and a simple Telnet server/client..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Amalgam wrote: »
    Not unique to this product, some cheap Chinese wireless storage devices, for accessing SD cards over a network, have hardwired open ports and a simple Telnet server/client..

Of course, smart home kits etc too have similar problems. But it's better to know for sure about a particular device. Otherwise you have to assume the worst..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Just bought this. In need of a basic stopwatch, and i used to have a Mi band and quite enjoyed it till i lost it. For under a 10er cant really go wrong.

If the notification systems work and if doesn't look too gaudy ill consider this a good buy! now to play the waiting game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wez wrote: »
    Be warned, this watches pairing app seems to connect to some Chinese IP address for unknown reasons..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/02/chinese_backdoor_found_in_ebays_popular_cheap_smart_watch/

Could be just checking for a firmware update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Interesting to read about the security. There would be a few apps that work with the watch, the video talking about this ip address does mention the user guide pointing to an app downloaded outside the app store but not clear if that's what they were testing Would be nice if they gave more details, not that I've used the watch since getting a pebble a year ago

I see there are clones of this watch now too, that don't have vibration motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have this watch, and I have it around 6 months..
    Its totally impractical, fiddly to use and quite frankly I wouldn't wear it..
    It seems like a great idea, but it doesn't work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

So when I answer a call with my phone connected the calls audio actually goes through the watch rather than my phone. Is there any way around this. I like it for the notifications but I don't want to conduct every call I have through my wrist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Casshern88 wrote: »
    I don't want to conduct every call I have through my wrist

Well that's how many conduct their sex life ;)

Sorry couldn't resist . Taxi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement