Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B Eng Level 7 Degree in Industrial Electrical Engineering

Options
  • 18-09-2019 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Folk.
    Just wondering if anybody has any info on B Eng Level 7 in Industrial Electrical Engineering in Limerick LIT.
    Was wondering about the content and how valuable a qualification it is.
    Its a 2 Year programme and i would like to get some feedback from anybody who has done it or knows somebody who has.

Many thanks

Sparky 48

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Not real engineering. Do mechanical/electrical/electronic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sparky48 wrote:
    Hi Folk. Just wondering if anybody has any info on B Eng Level 7 in Industrial Engineering in Limerick LIT. Was wondering about the content and how valuable a qualification it is. Its a 2 Year programme and i would like to get some feedback from anybody who has done it or knows somebody who has.

I read about it recently, I assume you get a year off for being an electrician?

There are a few courses in electrical engineering that are very narrow in Dublin now too. LIT might aswell join in.

They have a 2 year that you can work and go to college part time too, like 3 days a week in work and 2 in college?

A very useful option IMO. Should be more options like this. I've seen QSs and Engineers go through this type of training in the UK and it's very good.

Fair play to LIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Any reason why you want to do it??

I have a lvl8 in elec eng and its a few years of my life I wish i got back ( I was fortunate enough to be paid through the entire 3 years)

Its probably a good call out of the country but any decent sparks makes more money here.. I became one then the other then went back to sparking.

Horses for courses

'Hdz

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

hedzball wrote: »
    Any reason why you want to do it??

I have a lvl8 in elec eng and its a few years of my life I wish i got back ( I was fortunate enough to be paid through the entire 3 years)

Its probably a good call out of the country but any decent sparks makes more money here.. I became one then the other then went back to sparking.

Horses for courses

'Hdz

Not everyone wants to be a sparky forever no matter how good the money is. I am one of those and currently doing a level 8 in electrical engineering.
    What did you dislike so much about electrical engineering?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

From a financial perspective working as an engineer pays better for me and I spent many years on my tools as an electrician and instrument tech across many different sectors.

I certainly wouldn’t criticize anyone for sparking rather than engineering, each to their own. However once the wrong side of middle aged an electrician will struggle to find employment on their tools, as the job is just too physical. There may well be related avenues of employment available, but not working as an electrician.
    Horses for courses

Exactly.

In my own case I simply got bored working on my tools, it was too repetitive and didn’t challenge me sufficiently. This was much more the case with domestic installations. I much prefer working as an engineer but like many roles how rewarding the job is depends to a large extent on who your working for and what you are doing.

Anyway it is good that you are happy with what you are doing, which is the most important thing.

Back to the OP: Do it! Best of luck!

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

This was much more the case with domestic installations. I much prefer working as an engineer but like many roles how rewarding the job is depends to a large extent on who your working for and what you are doing.

Anyway it is good that you are happy with what you are doing, which is the most important thing.

Back to the OP: Do it! Best of luck!

Probably where I still have my sanity is the fact I gave two years doing domestic and the next decade working in industry I guess.

And after all that I still want to go back to college (i know)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrankPoll.

The way the rules and oversight has been the last 20 yrs

A lot of the domestic guys have better knowledge of the rules and installation work than the industrial electricians

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

FrankPoll. wrote:
    A lot of the domestic guys have better knowledge of the rules and installation work than the industrial electricians

A good tradesperson is a good tradesperson.

Yet plenty of people think that the type of work they do determines how good they are.

Yah, I've noticed a lot of the industrial electricians struggle with rules and RCDs

The domestic electricians are kept sharp with inspection

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

FrankPoll. wrote: »
    Yah, I've noticed a lot of the industrial electricians struggle with rules and RCDs

The domestic electricians are kept sharp with inspection

There are good and bad in both, that’s the reality.

A domestic electrician may not be that “sharp” when it comes to dealing with 3 phase power, MCC’s, MV / HV, ACB’s, MCCB’s or power factor correction equipment. Whereas industrial electricians may not be up to speed with recent changes to regulations that only impact domestic installations, because that is not their area.

• Advertisement

Probably where I still have my sanity is the fact I gave two years doing domestic and the next decade working in industry I guess.

And after all that I still want to go back to college (i know)..

Are you considering leaving the industry altogether or why are you going back to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

sparky48 wrote: »
    Hi Folk.
    Just wondering if anybody has any info on B Eng Level 7 in Industrial Electrical Engineering in Limerick LIT.
    Was wondering about the content and how valuable a qualification it is.
    Its a 2 Year programme and i would like to get some feedback from anybody who has done it or knows somebody who has.

Many thanks

Sparky 48

is it the night course you are talking about or the day course there is a level 7 B.Eng electrical offered for both.

i did one by night B.Eng in manufacturing engineering, most of the modules overlapped with the electrical though some of the ones that overlapped were
    PLCs
    Advanced PLCs
    Computer Networks
    Electronic testing methods
    Computer aided manufacturing
    Mathematics
    Project Management
    Industrial Project

Its handy enough if you do even a token amount of work. a few guys i know who were in the classes with me did the electrical . 2 of them are now working as engineers so it worked for them. We all came from a trade backround, Fitters and Electricians.

Is there anything specific you want to know about it ?

2011 wrote: »
    There are good and bad in both, that’s the reality.

A domestic electrician may not be that “sharp” when it comes to dealing with 3 phase power, MCC’s, MV / HV, ACB’s, MCCB’s or power factor correction equipment. Whereas industrial electricians may not be up to speed with recent changes to regulations that only impact domestic installations, because that is not their area.

No offense to domestic electricians but it's alot easier learn about a change in socket height or requirement for an extra rcd or smoke alarm than to learn about how industrial equipment operates.

aido79 wrote: »
    No offense to domestic electricians but it's alot easier learn about a change in socket height or requirement for an extra rcd or smoke alarm than to learn about how industrial equipment operates.

I haven't found that

I was on industrial callout for years

The domestic electricians are catchin. Up with the industrial guys

FrankPoll. wrote: »
    I haven't found that

I was on industrial callout for years

The domestic electricians are catchin. Up with the industrial guys

Then you were an industrial electrician too.

Anyway this has nothing to do with the thread topic so let's get back on topic.

If the op is thinking about doing further study then the level 7 would be a good move in my opinion.

aido79 wrote: »
    Are you considering leaving the industry altogether or why are you going back to college?

Leaving I would think. Just haven't sussed what I would like to do as of yet. I have had a very varied career in the past 15 years (slaughterhouse,house bashing,wind turbines, back to col for 3 years, meat factory, coffee machines and now a quarry) I just haven't quite figured out what it is I want yet. I am happy enough in the current role mind.

Regarding domestic guys knowing the rules. 110% regulation is slack in the bigger end of things to which i see every day. It doesn't make one better than another. Our trade is so varied its not right of us to judge who can read a book better.

I had a domestic lad with me for 2 weeks. Sound lad.. could tell me to the mm what goes where in a house. Took him a day to set up a abb mccb correctly and when i asked him for a pnp sensor from the stores he went looking for the brand pnp 😅 hes a better electrician than me in a house. Lost in my world then.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nimby1

Not real engineering. Do mechanical/electrical/electronic.

Really stupid comment

Advertisement