Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm Going Crazy With Flea Infestation! Advice Please?

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm having a really bad flea infestation and it's driving me insane to the point where every dot on the ground or every sensation on my arm or legs is a flea even though it isn't!

I have 3 dogs and 4 cats, the cats are all indoor, and 2 cats live in one part of the house, while the other live in the other part (they don't like each other lol!). I love my animals honestly, but I'm being driven to the brink of madness because everytime I see a hopper I freak out!! I'm in Ireland, and it is a 2 bedroom bungalow, relatively small house, it's a eco house so it is insulated very well which I think is adding to the problem. We have a large back garden/yard, but it's just a lawn which we keep cut short, but behind our wall is small wooded area that their are loads of stray cats.

Anyway, I bought Acclaim flea spray from my vet, but because I had a couple of animals done with the flea drop on the back of the neck and the others done at another time, the vet said it was pointless spraying the Acclaim because the animals still have fleas because they were done at different times. I have very little money at the moment, so it was done at a different time because it was expensive.

The cat and dog that were done a few days ago had Advocate, unfortunately the others were done two weeks ago, so it is a mish mash and that is my fault. I did buy 3 Advocate for the other cat and 2 dogs, but will keep them until I can do all of them together.

Now, the black cat we have was the worst infested cat I'd ever seen, he was covered in eggs (I think it was eggs, black clusters) and many many fleas. Myself and my mum combed him and drowned what we caught in washing up liquid and water bowl. That was the cat I gave advocate too he has been isolated from the other animals while he had that, and am still combing but finding MUCH less on him now, but continuing to comb him everyday along with the other animals.

Sorry for rambling, but I get freaked out by seeing a hopper on the floor, and I bought Apple Cider Vinegar, Salt, Baking Soda, Eucalyptus Oil, Lemons to make sprays for everywhere. I am hoovering every single day (the house is all hard laminated wood floors), the sofas, the furniture, all clothes we wear or sleep in go in the washing the next day, duvets and pillows too, then I hoover the mattresses as well and then spray them all with that mixture.

I have a flea shampoo (its like a natural one with oils like lemongrass and such), so wondering if I should use that on top of what I'm doing everyday until I can flea them all at once again?

It just makes me feel dirty and itchy and I was honestly crying about it because we're so clean, keep the animals so healthy, the house etc, and now this!! I've lived in dirtier houses than this and never had an infestation!!

So what I'm doing at the moment because I can't do the flea drops yet until their all done together is:

Hoovering every single day, every room, all furniture, mattresses etc.
    Cleaning all bedding, clothes, pajamas, etc.
    Combing the pets everyday and putting anything from them in a washing up liquid/water mix bowl.
    Using a spray on everything, salt/baking soda around floor, under sofas, beds etc.

Other than this, I don't know what more I can do really? I suffer with severe anxiety, so these kinds of things really distress me, especially when I find a bite mark on me.

Any advice would be great for anything I could do more to rid the house a bit more of them, or see less and less until my cats and dogs are done, because unfortunately I got pricing for a Pest Control and it was 2-300 EURO which I just couldn't afford even if I wanted too, and I've no where to go if I had to leave the house.

I'm really open to suggestions though, anything to help me calm down a bit about this.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Flea bombs. You can buy them online or pick them up in a good few places.

If you have somewhere else to stay then put one into each room in the house, leave it unoccupied for 24 hrs and that should resolve the infestation.

Or it did for us and our house had it very bad like you as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Breath!

It's only fleas so try not to worry - it sounds like you're doing loads. :)

I picked up a flea-ridden greyhound off the side of the road a couple of weeks ago and a groomer told me that washing while they have fleas is a waste of time - you're just spreading fleas around your bathroom. When you can treat them all at once, wait 24 hours so the fleas are dead, then wash them. Treat them with flea treatment again in 4 weeks.

Stick a flea collar in your vacuum. You've hardwood floors so they're not going to be stuck in your carpets at least.

It's only fleas. They're gross, but they're not deadly. You'll get it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 brigidcooley75

Necro wrote: »
    Flea bombs. You can buy them online or pick them up in a good few places.

If you have somewhere else to stay then put one into each room in the house, leave it unoccupied for 24 hrs and that should resolve the infestation.

Or it did for us and our house had it very bad like you as well.

Unfortunately we don't have anywhere to go, especially with the animals, so that's a bit hard at the moment. I've heard of the bombs, been looking everywhere but no luck yet. I know the vet said, to just keep hoovering and washing everything for now until you get all the animals flead at once, which I know is an undertaking as it will be at least 2 weeks before we can do them again. Thanks for reply!

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Breath!

It's only fleas so try not to worry - it sounds like you're doing loads. :)

I picked up a flea-ridden greyhound off the side of the road a couple of weeks ago and a groomer told me that washing while they have fleas is a waste of time - you're just spreading fleas around your bathroom. When you can treat them all at once, wait 24 hours so the fleas are dead, then wash them. Treat them with flea treatment again in 4 weeks.

Stick a flea collar in your vacuum. You've hardwood floors so they're not going to be stuck in your carpets at least.

It's only fleas. They're gross, but they're not deadly. You'll get it sorted!

Haha I know! The vet even said it to me, she said their not actually dirty just gross, mostly the thought and itching gives people (me especially lol!) the heeby jeebies!!

Yeah, it's all click flooring, and the rug we had in the living room, we put outside, and not sure if we're going to bring it back in (it's been laying in the sun though) and I spray it with the Acclaim and have left it out there.

I think I started getting in a tizzy when I read all the horror stories online about getting tape worms, plague lol! Makes your head spin!

I'd say, I'll be able to flea all the animals in another 2 and a half weeks at least, which seems like a long time with the heavy cleaning everyday, but if I just keep hoovering everyday, bagging out all the dirt, cleaning all the clothes and bedding, spraying everything, it should at least keep it down a bit, along with the daily combing as well. Just get freaked out every time I see one hop off or on the floor!

Thanks for replying! Hopefully I can calm down a bit, might make it easier for me haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Unfortunately we don't have anywhere to go, especially with the animals, so that's a bit hard at the moment. I've heard of the bombs, been looking everywhere but no luck yet. I know the vet said, to just keep hoovering and washing everything for now until you get all the animals flead at once, which I know is an undertaking as it will be at least 2 weeks before we can do them again. Thanks for reply!

You can get the flea bombs online e.g. https://www.petcara.ie/dog/dog-flea-treatments/dog-flea-vaporisors/flea-fumigator

The tip about putting a flea collar in the vacuum is a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

I bought my cat a new bed from a local pet shop a year back, she loved it for a week then refused it. Turns out it was riddled with fleas... No idea how that happened... anyway flea bombs work.

I did one room at a time. It's a bit of a pain but the result is worth it, make sure to vacuum every day for a week or two to make sure new eggs don't hatch and throw out the dirt securely. It worked like a charm for me, but be careful with the flea bomb.

Also check the brand of flea control with your vet, the one I was using I was told the fleas had become immune.

Good luck

Kurn wrote: »
    I bought my cat a new bed from a local pet shop a year back, she loved it for a week then refused it. Turns out it was riddled with fleas... No idea how that happened... anyway flea bombs work.

I did one room at a time. It's a bit of a pain but the result is worth it, make sure to vacuum every day for a week or two to make sure new eggs don't hatch and throw out the dirt securely. It worked like a charm for me, but be careful with the flea bomb.

Also check the brand of flea control with your vet, the one I was using I was told the fleas had become immune.

Good luck

I wonder did the bed you got was in contact with an infested animal somehow!

Yeah, everyday, I'm getting up early, starting with the sitting room, the two bedrooms, hallway, then kitchen (it's a small two bedroom bungalow, but it's insulated). I start by removing all the bedding, covers, washing them, while I hoover the beds, sofas, laminated wooden floors, then I spray them all with a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar (from mother), Eucalyptus Essential Oil drops, lemon and water (apparently these things are what fleas don't like, so worth a try, not sure if true). I also after hoovering, put salt and a mixture of baking soda all around the skirting of the floors (also apparently fleas and their eggs dehydrate because of them and die) and leave it for 24hrs, then start the process all over again next day.

Goes without saying but I wash all the pets blankets, have a washing up liquid and water mixed in a bowl, and use a comb to comb the dogs and cats every single day and whatever I find goes in the bowl to drown. It's worked really well, and hopefully I can keep doing this until it's time to get them all flead at the same time again and keep up to date with it so HOPEFULLY don't have to go through this arduous task again!

At least my house smells lovely and fresh and not a corner of pet hair or dust or anything lol!

Still getting a couple hopping on my socks (wearing white so I can see them and have my PJ's tucked into them because I really really get freaked out by them jumping on me. I keep imagining them crawling up my legs or arms and in my hair and all that, freaks me out!!

Thanks for replying, sorry for rambling! I know I'll probably keep doing this process for the next 2 weeks until their all flead together and then keep up with it every month so this doesn't happen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Oh you poor thing that all sounds so tiring!
    It's strange but before I had pets of my own something like fleas or worms would gross me out but now I just think its kinda part of the pet owners life.
    I have no idea so in just asking the question really but is there a reason you cant do a big de flea treatment of them all now? Would it be harmful to an animal to be treated for fleas too soon after the last time?
    Good luck Op x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hi OP, in addition to treating the environment by cleaning/washing/Acclaim, for a really heavy infestation like this you're going to have to repeat the monthly flea treatment on your pets for three months to fully eradicate the buggers. Avoid fipronil or permethrin-based products. Did you mention Advocate? That'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mr O

I had same problem a few years back you poor thing have you put out the washing up liquid water mix in saucers with a nightlight candle in the middle the heat attracts them, that really helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

It sounds like what you're already doing, but: Treat the pets, and Hoover, hoover, hoover. I was tempted to hoover my senior LabX girl, but she would NOT have it!
    Tucked-in socks is the way to go, my lower legs were a state last year. Its inconvenient and frustrating, but you'll get there. Don't be downhearted, its a pet owner's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

IME hoovering works better than flea products, or at any rate the flea products alone aren't usually enough, so maybe think of all the heavy work now as you getting a head start so the flea products can work better when you do use them.

(I had the same problem when one of my children got headlice some years back - my heart was broken with the shampoos, which cost a fortune and yet when I combed afterwards, you'd see living lice coming out of her hair literally straight after. In the end it was the constant combing that worked. Another child got a much smaller infestation more recently and I discovered that all the products I'd used on my daughter at the time have since been banned - which is scary really.)

bertsmom wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing that all sounds so tiring!
    It's strange but before I had pets of my own something like fleas or worms would gross me out but now I just think its kinda part of the pet owners life.
    I have no idea so in just asking the question really but is there a reason you cant do a big de flea treatment of them all now? Would it be harmful to an animal to be treated for fleas too soon after the last time?
    Good luck Op x

Hi, sorry for late reply. What happened is my fault, because I flead one of my dogs and one of my cats before I did the others, so all the animals were different times, which meant one of them got infected with fleas, so it got the others because they all weren't done at the same time.

So now I have to wait another week or two before their all done at the same time, but until then I'll keep hoovering every room top to bottom and changing the sheets and hoovering the beds too, all the floors and skirting.

It seems to be working to a degree as I see less and less. And I think we found the culprit which is a 2x2 storage room that the cat use to sleep in, and it had cracks in it. When we took stuff out, they were jumping all over it.

So, filled in the skirting with that foam filler, which should suffocate whatever is in there, and hoovered all that were there, and sprayed it, sealed the room, and doing that everyday now until they all die. Seems less today, so will do it again tomorrow until theirs none left.

Very tiring, but it'll work eventually fingers crossed, thanks for replying!!

boomerang wrote: »
    Hi OP, in addition to treating the environment by cleaning/washing/Acclaim, for a really heavy infestation like this you're going to have to repeat the monthly flea treatment on your pets for three months to fully eradicate the buggers. Avoid fipronil or permethrin-based products. Did you mention Advocate? That'll work.

Hi, sorry for late reply! Yeah, their due their flea treatment in the next week or two (my fault because they were done at different times so now going to get them all at once).

Definitely won't make this mistake again, will be doing them every month on time. Yeah, we use Advocate, really works amazingly!

The hoovering and cleaning seems to be showing up less and less now, so for now, it'll help just keep the numbers down until the flea treatment.

Thanks for replying!

Mr O wrote: »
    I had same problem a few years back you poor thing have you put out the washing up liquid water mix in saucers with a nightlight candle in the middle the heat attracts them, that really helped me.

Sorry for late reply! I must give that a go again, but it does work when I comb the animals and put it into the mix, they drown instantly. Will do that again though!

Thanks for reply!

Meemars wrote: »
    It sounds like what you're already doing, but: Treat the pets, and Hoover, hoover, hoover. I was tempted to hoover my senior LabX girl, but she would NOT have it!
    Tucked-in socks is the way to go, my lower legs were a state last year. Its inconvenient and frustrating, but you'll get there. Don't be downhearted, its a pet owner's life.

Sorry for late reply! I've been doing the socks things all the time, I'm wearing white ones so I can see any that hop on, fortunately for now, theirs seems to be less and less. I've been hoovering every single day, every room, living room, bedrooms, hall, all of it, and the sofas, cushions, bedding, hoovering the beds too! Seems to be keeping the numbers down.

Haha I tried to hoover my husky cross, he didn't appreciate it so will just do the house and wait and get their treatments.

Yeah, it's mostly tiring at this stage but like you said we'll get there, just got to keep hoovering and cleaning until treatment and should start seeing results.

Thanks for replying!

volchitsa wrote: »
    IME hoovering works better than flea products, or at any rate the flea products alone aren't usually enough, so maybe think of all the heavy work now as you getting a head start so the flea products can work better when you do use them.

(I had the same problem when one of my children got headlice some years back - my heart was broken with the shampoos, which cost a fortune and yet when I combed afterwards, you'd see living lice coming out of her hair literally straight after. In the end it was the constant combing that worked. Another child got a much smaller infestation more recently and I discovered that all the products I'd used on my daughter at the time have since been banned - which is scary really.)

Sorry for late reply! Yeah, since doing the hoovering everyday, and every room head to toe, it seems to be showing less and less, so hopefully it is keeping their numbers down until they get the flea treatment all at once, but definitely keeping the house cleaner!!

I know, I remember when I was staying at my auntie's years ago, and my god, when my cousin got headlice, well; we all got them and it was a nightmare because I had long long hair and most products weren't working. Did eventually but I remember my mum's frustration because of it.

Thanks for replying!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How do the flea bombs work please?
    My dog is outdoors so would they work in his kennel?
    I’ve destroyed all his bedding.

How do the flea bombs work please?
    My dog is outdoors so would they work in his kennel?
    I’ve destroyed all his bedding.

I'm not sure how flea bombs work either, but probably making sure their all flead with treatment first, then removing the dogs from the kennels somewhere safe while you clean out the kennels before returning the dogs in them. Get new bedding, and keep washing it everyday, over 50 on wash will kill all fleas and eggs etc, just keep doing that until their gone.

It's hard work, but I've been doing this in my house for 2 weeks now, every morning and I am seeing less and less until mine get their treatment.

Update: I was in contact with my vets on the 20th Friday and discussing my distress about the fleas and that my cats and dogs were all treated at different times so it was making it difficult. They said that even the ones that were done recently, if the others got done now, the others are still protected for the month they were done.

So, I treated my 2 cats, and 2 dogs, which hadn't been done in over 3 weeks.

My other dog had been done 2 weeks ago today, and my other 2 cats were done almost 2 weeks ago as well, so it would still be in their system right?

That is how the vet explained it, so I did the other 4 animals on Saturday, and today I've been finding a lot of fleas on the floor, so I don't know if the fleas are falling off the animals now because the others have been done and are dying?

Some of them still seemed alive, while others were kind of on their sides flaying around not jumping. Smaller ones seemed more lively.

I'm still religiously hoovering every single day, removing all bedding, coverings etc and washing them, pet bedding too, and hoovering all the floors in every nook and cranny, even inside shoes.

I mostly see them on my white socks (why I'm wearing them).

So, I feel like I'm going mad with this, and how long this is going to take, and an exterminator is out of the question because firstly; can't afford the several hundred euros their asking for, and secondly; my mum has severe asthma and it was advised against with whatever chemicals they use in the house. Not to mention, we've no where to go, nor to put the animals.

All I'm wondering, but will double check with my vets again, that even though 3 of the animals were done within the space of 2 weeks ago, and now the other 4 were done just yesterday, that they'll all still be protected against the fleas now? That most of them will start to die off? And with keeping up with the flea treatment every time they need it now, they'll work more and more?

Sorry, really need advice again for this, but I'll be asking my vets again tomorrow to double check that the animals that were done less than 2 weeks ago are still protected, as well as the ones done just yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Heart goes out to you, I completely understand. You just become obsessed with the hoppers!
    My understanding is that now the pets are treated, the fleas will fall off, as you are seeing. The pets who were treated earlier will still have the treatment in their systems for the full duration, so any that might go back on board will fall off again straight away. (Think of it like all your pets are all now walking flea-killers, each for the duration of their treatment)
    I think you'll notice over the next day or two that the hoovering will get rid of the dead/dying ones, and no new ones will appear.
    Soon, you'll be able to take off those socks, and get back to normal hoovering schedule.

Meemars wrote: »
    Heart goes out to you, I completely understand. You just become obsessed with the hoppers!
    My understanding is that now the pets are treated, the fleas will fall off, as you are seeing. The pets who were treated earlier will still have the treatment in their systems for the full duration, so any that might go back on board will fall off again straight away. (Think of it like all your pets are all now walking flea-killers, each for the duration of their treatment)
    I think you'll notice over the next day or two that the hoovering will get rid of the dead/dying ones, and no new ones will appear.
    Soon, you'll be able to take off those socks, and get back to normal hoovering schedule.

I thought so, it just is really distressing seeing them, just make your skin crawl! Their are a lot less than their was even a week ago, as we've religiously been keeping up with the hoovering everyday, changing sheets and pet bedding etc. We also gave the dog who was treated 2 weeks ago a flea shampoo today just for an extra bit, so hopefully their numbers start to decrease and I can take off those socks haha!

Thanks for replying, at least the animals have it in their system and I already bought the Advocate spot ons for when the others are due their next treatment, so I'm preparing in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Have a look at diatonomous earth. It is a powder.
    Farm suppliers should have this. Would be cheaper than some shops as you can buy in a kilo bag. It is crushed shells and grey in colour. There are two grades. This kills fees, ticks and bedbugs etc. It is ok around animals and often put around farm houses. Spray around the house and near their bedding as well as your own. You will need to spray weekly for a few months as their life cycle can be from weeks to a few months.
    When you spray make sure the room is ventilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

We are having the same issue as we now have rats in our communal courtyard due to a resident throwing out their leftovers.

Our managing agent got in the pest control peeps and I got 2 2kg of D.E. off them.

We used an oral treat/ preventative from the vets, they had flea baths at the groomers and we’ve been hoovering everyday. I got the loan of a secondary washer to get through all bedding, harnesses, soft toys etc. I’m exhausted, the poor piggies are traumatised and my OH was covered in pasty Piriton :(

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

em_cat wrote: »
    We are having the same issue as we now have rats in our communal courtyard due to a resident throwing out their leftovers.

Our managing agent got in the pest control peeps and I got 2 2kg of D.E. off them.

We used an oral treat/ preventative from the vets, they had flea baths at the groomers and we’ve been hoovering everyday. I got the loan of a secondary washer to get through all bedding, harnesses, soft toys etc. I’m exhausted, the poor piggies are traumatised and my OH was covered in pasty Piriton :(

You poor things.
    The de can be put on mattresses around the door as you enter the house in carpets etc. The more you put is around the better.

If you are also worried about rats and mice coming into the house then try the ultrasonic plug ins. You can plug them in around the house and that stops them coming near or into the house. They do work. Mum lives by the sea and rats and mice are everywhere and since the plug in they do not come near the house. She also has a dog and it is not effected the signal.

tvjunki wrote: »
    You poor things.
    The de can be put on mattresses around the door as you enter the house in carpets etc. The more you put is around the better.

If you are also worried about rats and mice coming into the house then try the ultrasonic plug ins. You can plug them in around the house and that stops them coming near or into the house. They do work. Mum lives by the sea and rats and mice are everywhere and since the plug in they do not come near the house. She also has a dog and it is not effected the signal.

Not too worried about the rats getting in as they’d be climbing 4 floors :) it’s really the spread of disease from the fleas and of course the itch factor! But ya, finally glad I got hold of the D.E. though, I was having a hard time getting a good quantity for a decent price. Put it on the communal carpet in front and pretty much everywhere I could get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

em_cat wrote: »
    Not too worried about the rats getting in as they’d be climbing 4 floors :) it’s really the spread of disease from the fleas and of course the itch factor! But ya, finally glad I got hold of the D.E. though, I was having a hard time getting a good quantity for a decent price. Put it on the communal carpet in front and pretty much everywhere I could get it!

lol rats can climb :rolleyes:

cocaliquid wrote: »
    lol rats can climb :rolleyes:

Oh I know, it’s just it freaks me out.

Advertisement