Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good domestic electric heating system recommendations?

Options
  • 11-09-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I have storage heating in my 16 year old apartment and have been seriously considering upgrading to more modern and efficient electric heaters. Could anybody recommend a brand or company to go for, and a rough cost if possible? I would be looking to replace 2 x Creda Supaslim Combi heaters. I have no idea of the actual size of the room but it's a reasonably big kitchen/living/dining area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

All electrical heaters are 100% by their nature (or close enough that it makes no difference). The problem that a lot of people fail to grasp is that high efficiency does not necessarily mean cheap to run.

The trick to saving money with electrical heating is to have good controls. That way there is less overheating of areas.

If electrical heating was the only option open to me I would avoid storage heaters for many reasons. Instead I would go for oil filled radiators.

Be warned though using electricity to heat your home is the most expensive method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks 2011, unfortunately electric heating is the only option available to me :( At least I could set them to come on at specific times and not (like with storage heating) have the apartment very warm while I'm out at work, and only barely warm enough by 10pm.

By oil-filled radiators, do you mean the free-standing, plug in type? While I could get those, that still leaves the storage heaters in situ, just unused, and tbh I'd like them gone as they're quite old fashioned looking and bulky, and a bit discoloured after years of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

I’ve replaced storage heaters in a few apartments with these and have positive feedback from clients

http://www.atc.ie/products/atc-lifestyle-electric-thermal-radiators/

Thanks for that meercat -any idea on cost to replace with two of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Thanks for that meercat -any idea on cost to replace with two of those?

Need to change wiring at consumer unit. Not a big job but you need an rec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would look for any opportunities to insulate the apartment, reducing heat loss.
    Not sure how much scope you might have but improving your glazing, insulating inside of external walls, ceilings (if on top floor etc. door seals etc
    I am sure there are surveyors/ heating engineers who could advise on apartment insulation. I would expect it will save you money in the long term when you are limited to using electric heating.
    Those act products cited by Meercat seem worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

If you're stuck with electricity then check out an air to air heat pump. It'll be far cheaper than either storage heaters or on-demand electric heaters to run. You need access to the outside (garden/balcony) so may or may not be possible in an apartment. There are quite a few posts on here about them if you need more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

ercork wrote: »
    If you're stuck with electricity then check out an air to air heat pump. It'll be far cheaper than either storage heaters or on-demand electric heaters to run. You need access to the outside (garden/balcony) so may or may not be possible in an apartment. There are quite a few posts on here about them if you need more info.

They're doing heat pumps for apartments now, was talking to a rep from a company that sells them. Heat pump on the cylinder and ducted for outside air. Pretty cool if they work

I looked up some info on the heat pumps, and it looks like they're pretty dependant on the property already being well insulated, with I'd imagine a good BER rating. My place is D-rated, so I'd say it would be a waste of money in my case. It also seems very expensive and disruptive to fit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If your property is as poorly insulated as you say resolving this should be the priority. This will significantly reduce the running cost of any heating system. Otherwise you are just paying good money to heat the outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I looked up some info on the heat pumps, and it looks like they're pretty dependant on the property already being well insulated, with I'd imagine a good BER rating. My place is D-rated, so I'd say it would be a waste of money in my case. It also seems very expensive and disruptive to fit.

Air to water heat pumps are very difficult to retrofit to an existing property as they would require the installation of radiators , underfloor heating, cylinder, etc. This would probably cost over €10,000 to fit and would be a very disruptive process.

However I was referring to an air to air heat pump. These are very east to retrofit and would only cost about €2,000 to install. As discussed in the thread below there may be issues installing them in apartments - you would have to check with your management company:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057991516

Regardless of which heating system you end up with, the better insulation and windows you have the lower your running costs will be.

Advertisement