Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ETCI rules PDF version

Options
  • 11-09-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hello all,

I am in need of the ETCI rules but I have been advised not to buy it as a new edition will be published soon. Can anyone advise if I can download a PDF version of the current edition.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hello all,

I am in need of the ETCI rules but I have been advised not to buy it as a new edition will be published soon. Can anyone advise if I can download a PDF version of the current edition.

Thanks in advance.

No legal soft copy of this revision is available to the public.

You can download a free draft copy of the new rules.

2011 wrote: »

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Where?
    I doubt that's been possible since the period for receiving public comments on it closed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I doubt that's been possible since the period for receiving public comments on it closed.

Yeah you may be correct. There are plenty out there, Someone may share.

Yeah you may be correct. There are plenty out there, Someone may share.
    Technically that wouldn't be a legal copy. You will notice that they are franked as for the person or organisation which downloaded it only (on every single page).

• Advertisement

Technically that wouldn't be a legal copy. You will notice that they are franked as for the person or organisation which downloaded it only (on every single page).

I think that nobody is going to object when a copy of a document that was offered to the entire world for free for an extended time is shared.

I think that nobody is going to object when a copy of a document that was offered to the entire world for free for an extended time is shared.
    Not sure I agree. The sole purpose of franking them was to see who distributed them illegally.

Not sure I agree. The sole purpose of franking them was to see who distributed them illegally.

It was only franked so that they could use the same system for the official/ final draft.

As the free draft revision is due to be superseded shortly, why would the NSAI care?

It was only franked so that they could use the same system for the official/ final draft.

As the free draft revision is due to be superseded shortly, why would the NSAI care?
    Because it's copyrighted text. They had to release it for public scrutiny however.

We both know that in the real world nobody is going to pursue anybody for sharing this document.
    End of.

• Advertisement

We both know that in the real world nobody is going to pursue anybody for sharing this document.
    End of.
    It's still not legal.

End of.

It's still not legal.

End of.

As is cycling without a bell on your bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Usurper.

Its been a very poor situation here with rules for a long time

The sooner we move to having pdf rules and proper guides to rules and installation work ala UK the better.

Usurper. wrote: »
    Its been a very poor situation here with rules for a long time

The sooner we move to having pdf rules and proper guides to rules and installation work ala UK the better.
    The UK doesn't have PDF versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Usurper.

What do they have

Usurper. wrote: »

What do they have
    Published books. These are the most common.

There is also a special ebook format that the IET have signed up to which requires login and is encrypted. No PDFs though.

I have a PDF of UK regs.
    And let's face it the Irish copied it so the bits the Irish forgot to copy aren't excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mikewebb1

I have a PDF of UK regs.
    And let's face it the Irish copied it so the bits the Irish forgot to copy aren't excluded.

Can you rephrase that , are we getting a rehashed UK regs?

Tbh it'll be better than what we had

The English have a rule to cover most scenarios , here you can be left scratching your head with lack of detail

I have a PDF of UK regs.
    You certainly do not have a legal PDF copy - if you have one it is an illegal copy. The e-reader version is not a PDF.

And the ETCI Rules are certainly not a carbon copy of BS7671. Obviously both derive from harmonised documents but there are a great many differences between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mikewebb1

You certainly do not have a legal PDF copy - if you have one it is an illegal copy. The e-reader version is not a PDF.

And the ETCI Rules are certainly not a carbon copy of BS7671. Obviously both derive from harmonised documents but there are a great many differences between them.

What are the major differences

• Advertisement

Mod edit text removed

Mod edit.

Link removed. All please note the House Rules on copyrighted material

Mod edit. Text removed. Please report the post next time

Mod snip

Mod edit.

Ristard action was taken.

Please use the report function to help the mod process.
    Backseat modding is also against the charter.

Thank.you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Will be great to have it on PDF, would also like to see test record sheets in some sort of an onlone/spreadsheet format

mikewebb1 wrote: »
    What are the major differences

The fundamentals are very similar but the layout and presentation is is very different. Most designs that are acceptable in the UK would also be acceptable here.

Both Ireland and the UK are tend to use a lot of SWA cabling in industrial installations. This is seen almost nowhere else to the same extent.

Mod edit.

Ristard action was taken.

Please use the report function to help the mod process.
    Backseat modding is also against the charter.

Thank.you.

@Stoner I'm not aware of a "report" function. I can only see thank, quote etc. Perhaps you could advise where this feature is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The relevant parts for houses should be in a free to download document on the housing.gov.ie site, like Part A, Part B etc of the building regs

https://www.housing.gov.ie/HOUSING/building-standards/tgd-part-d-materials-and-workmanship/technical-guidance-documents

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Risteard81 wrote:
    @Stoner I'm not aware of a "report" function. I can only see thank, quote etc. Perhaps you could advise where this feature is.

@Risteard81

You've used the report post feature before.

The functionality hasn't changed it's an icon on every post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement