Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parish Records not in the NLI - how and why?

Options
  • 19-03-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Here's an interesting one. John Grenham tells us that 2% of parish records are not in the NLI.

Turns out that the key parish in my work is the Naul in Co. Dublin (incorporating Ballyboughal and Damastown) and it's one of the few that are not microfilmed. I wonder why some parish's did not consent to microfilming and if there are still efforts to preserve their records?

Grenham's book reports that their records date from 1832 and that they were "transcribed" for the RootsIreland project I cannot find any of my relatives who I know were baptised and married on the RootsIreland website.

I think all that remains to me is to get in touch with the parish directly. I wonder what the protocol is here. Offer a donation to consult their books? Has anyone done this and what is a fair amount?

Thanks all for any ideas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I would suggest €20 depending on how long it takes and how much information you are looking for. I know someone who had to sit while the priest went through the books as he wouldn't let her do it herself. It took about an hour what with the chat as well. I can't say if you would give it as a donation to the priest personally or to some church need, but surely it would come under the duties of the priest anyway. Do priests get offered 'tips'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    ... Do priests get offered 'tips'?
    Yes, but the preferred term is "offering".

What they do with them is at their own discretion. Many use some categories of offering to supplement their modest salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes, of course 'offering' is nicer. Maybe the church has a website which has some information. Some churches have wedding 'offerings' etc on their websites.

Advertisement