Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you put your tree online?

Options
  • 13-10-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I wondered if anyone has managed to fill in blank spaces on their tree by putting it on a blog/website, or on FaceBook. I've never used FaceBook so I'm pretty nervous of it. Just wondered if putting a tree online attracts the people you want, or just weirdoes?? A bit nervous of going down this avenue but would like other views on it please.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would steer away from putting it online, especially on a site like facebook. Too easy for someone to rob your identity with a family tree. I have a basic direct tree (years only, no living people's names, no siblings on any branch) on ancestry in case strangers make contact, and I did find a second cousin of my mother's in Australia through it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I'm not sure how you would go about putting your tree on Facebook? I would stay clear of that though and if you really want to put it online stick to one of the more tried and tested ones, like Ancestry, or Genesreunited.

It never a good idea to put anyone living on an online tree, usually in those cases people just put "living" and the surname, with no other details.

I prefer to keep my tree offline, using Family Tree Maker, I find it a lot easier to use and edit than online resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

Didn't know you could put it up on Facebook - but personally I would steer clear. I have put mine up on Ancestry because it hides living people even if your tree is public and there is also the facility to make the tree private.

Haven't tried Genesreunited....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks everyone, just as I thought, a definite no-no! I had heard of people using FaceBook to find people in their family tree but don't know how they do it. As I said I don't do FaceBook at all and was pretty nervous about it anyway. I've presently got brick walls all over the place - have to dig deeper to get under it!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i had my family tree on-line on ancestry , by mistake which i have since changed, but while it was up the grandson of my great-uncle contacted me from the USA and got some brilliant information about my family.

• Advertisement

i had my family tree on-line on ancestry , by mistake which i have since changed, but while it was up the grandson of my great-uncle contacted me from the USA and got some brilliant information about my family.

That's amazing! I know there are some distant members of my family in the US too. Is ancestry safe for trees, then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I wondered if anyone has managed to fill in blank spaces on their tree by putting it on a blog/website, or on FaceBook. I've never used FaceBook so I'm pretty nervous of it. Just wondered if putting a tree online attracts the people you want, or just weirdoes?? A bit nervous of going down this avenue but would like other views on it please.

Hi, i put mines on genes ruinited uk you can make it private there its good because you can keep a track of everything you've found out incase you forget something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

one of the big differences between Farcebook and Ancestry is that Farcebook makes money by selling your details (and potentially the details you put on a tree) while Ancestry doesn't.

one of the big differences between Farcebook and Ancestry is that Farcebook makes money by selling your details (and potentially the details you put on a tree) while Ancestry doesn't.

I see! Ahh-haaa!! FaceBook ain't gonna git me, then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

although it is a subscription service at least they go out to get material and make it available to those with an interest in genealogy.

The worrying thing is that Facebook could buy Ancestry at some point..........:eek: GenesReunited certainly went downhill after being bought by ITV.

• Advertisement

It's getting harder to stay ahead of the posse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Hi i was at the genealogy show in RDS yesterday and met a lovely lady who has set up a website with her family where you can upload your family tree. Now I haven't used it yet but it seemed like a great idea and it's free. They're also trying to help make all the records free for us to access so ask that people spread the word.
    Something to look at maybe.
    http://irishgathering.ie/

Scratch that - i've just joined and began to upload my info and discovered if you make a mistake you cannot delete the info, i've ended up with my mother listed as my uncles daughter and i cant undo it and he is married to my granmother also cannot undo. Fecking disaster.

Advertisement