Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for Birth Certificates

• 24-04-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

Both herself and I are trying to track family movements late in the 19th century. One resource that would seem to be useful is the birth certificates of the children of the people for whom we are trying to fix locations. We have tracked the index references of many of those births via the LDS site.

The next stage would be to complete and submit the application, so I downloaded the GRO form. And ran into a wall. Because one of the mandatory fields is "Address of Place of Birth". So the very thing for which we want the certificate is a requirement for requisitioning it!

I can understand that the GRO need enough data to track and deliver the correct certificate, but we have done the tracking work by researching the indices.

Suggestions for workarounds would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The only details the GRO need for research certs are the name, year/quarter (older records only have a year ref.), volume and page numbers and type of record.

Other than your own details and payment option dont worry about the details on the order form... it's designed for more modern certs used for legal purposes.

You can attach the details of the certs you require on a separate page, and attach this to the order form.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thanks, Shane. I was hoping that that would be the answer, but you never know when dealing with a bureaucracy.

So I can use one form to apply and pay for a number of certificates. That's convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

ask for research certs on your order - they are photocopies of the register and are cheaper than legal transcript certs. (€4 Euro as far as I remember). These certs are handy if any of the writing on the record is difficult to read - as you can then upload scans for people to try to decipher.

Shane

Applications sent today.

In preparing them, I discovered cases where there was more than one registration of somebody with the given name, surname, place and year of birth in which I was interested, and I had no way of identifying which was a member of the family that I am researching. It looked as if I might have to purchase redundant records.

I phoned the GRO and asked if I gave them two index references, they would select the one with a particular set of parents and give me that one only (and charge for that one only). The answer was yes. So it boils down to a bit of collaboration: I do some of the digging, and they co-operate with me in identifying which of the records is relevant to my requirements.

That's good, and I report on it here to give them proper credit, and for the information of people who find themselves with a similar problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's good news that they'll help you out with the parents' bit but I wonder will they charge you the search fee for that? It's only an extra €2.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's good news that they'll help you out with the parents' bit but I wonder will they charge you the search fee for that? It's only an extra €2.

We'll see soon enough, and I'll report back. My inference was that they would not. Essentially what I am asking them to do is look at two records in the same volume, and copy the one with a given set of parents.

True, the amount involved is small enough, but I am ordering a batch of certificates in order to trace the location history of the family. The costs mount up fairly fast.

Herself will be undertaking similar exercises with two large families, so avoiding the search fees would be good.

[With or without search fees, the service is great value for money.]

To illustrate, this is one of my requests:
    =====
    Whichever one of the following two is the child of John Walsh and Teresa Higgins:

name: Mary Walsh
    registration district: Rathdrum
    registration quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1878
    volume number: 2
    page number: 999

name: Mary Walsh
    registration district: Rathdrum
    registration quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1878
    volume number: 2
    page number: 1018
    =====

Reporting back on progress (after a delay due to my being away for a few days): the certs arrived, and I was charged only the fee for each cert supplied, and no search fee for selecting from the alternatives that I identified in the manner I set out in the post above this.

Kudos to the GRO: credit where it's due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I find them very quick to send the certs out too. Very efficient in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I just came across this thread while trying to decide how to go about finding death records for my mother grandparents....

But I've done a few different rounds of certs already, all with different requests, usually with one or both parents names, but in one case I submitted a list of 11 possibles for an uncle of my mothers, asking that they only send the one with the correct address, none of them corresponded so they charged me €2 for each search, I had a search for a marriage cert last week along with a death cert for giving the Volume and Page numbers but in the case of the death cert I had only a rough idea of year and address and both came back and I was only charged for 2 certs...
    I can't figure out if the list with 11 names along with volume and page numbers was a charge too steep or not, anyone else done it like that and got nothing back but got charged for each set of reference numbers they sent?

Advertisement