Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Find My Past €1 offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Received an email about this yesterday. Don't forget to untick the "auto-renew my subscription" box or you will be charged €14.95 when your 30 days is up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

I feel a bit hard done by, I used the 1 euro offer, through findmypast.ie, it ended up costing me something like 1.15 also (thought it was strange that in the paypal payment it was £0.87). I was pretty sure I unclicked auto-renew, I must not have, because on Saturday I got an payment confirmation email for £12.95. The exchange rate is crazy at the moment so I've paid nearly 18 euro for a site I don't use very often, in fact I only ever use them for the Irish records so 9.95 is all they ever get from me. Did anyone else have this problem?
    I emailed them wondering why it happened and they said the original sub was bought on findmypast.co.uk, even though I made sure I went to the Irish site to get the deal.

I could be wrong, maybe it was my mistake, just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else that may have used it. For me genealogy is a hobby I can't really afford so I have to be very choosy when it comes to subs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Same happened to me - I am convinced that I had unchecked the auto renew but got hit for another month. I didn't bother to investigate it, as I had more than my fair value's worth on the newspaper archives, I've downloaded dozens of pages. Newspaper archives are great, but I found the rest rather mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I think you have 7 or 14 days to repudiate an online purchase - just email them to say you wish to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

Out of curiosity I followed the link on the original post to Clare Santrys blog to see what happens, clicked on FindMyPast Ireland which brought me to findmypast.ie, I clicked on the offer and it very quickly moved me to the the UK site to pay (obviously the deal is no longer valid). I emailed them about it again and got this reply:

"I am afraid the initial payment on the 13 March 2015 was made on Findmypast.co.uk, for this payment to have been made you signed into that site and then entered your card details."

So in other words, it's my own fault for not noticing. I sort of applaud them in one sense, and if some of the money they've made out of the "offer" goes towards putting more records online, it can't all be bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

@Rox88

I had the same problem trying to sign up on FindMyPast.ie which isn't too straightforward as they keep trying to redirect you to FindMyPast.co.uk so I wouldn't be too quick to blame yourself or pat them on the back for sharp practice.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement