Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are they now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

jr86 wrote: »
    I imagine Keegan was probably good enough to play minor though? He was a few age groups behind me though, so wouldn't have seen much of him underage. In fairness there is some commitment even with the Connacht underage set up - probably couldn't be playing county football aswell

Hard to know what kind of minor he would have been given his lack of interest in football at that age. Though he was always an impressive athlete even from a young age and probably could have turned his hand to any sport he liked, not sure some would have immediately pegged him as a Gaelic footballer since he wasn't raised with it like others would have been and didn't have the same grá for it that other kids of his age would have had.
    He eventually went the way of football after being given an ultimatum when he was 19/20. Played U21 and then O'Mahony didn't fancy him in 2010 and he was dropped.
    Horan brought him back into the fold in 2011. There were some interesting stories from the AvB games from that time - Keegan a peripheral player, behind on S&C and not overly fancied by squad or management, apparently he used to target the bigger name players in the in-house games. Soon became a Horan favourite after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

thesultan wrote: »
    Sorry yes brIan. Did he hurl much after?

Finished hurling (club + county) altogether in 2005 when he was only 24/25 !!!
    He is a doctor now in Australia, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

One of the main ones when this comes up is Karl Wade from Galway. He still playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

cms88 wrote: »
    One of the main ones when this comes up is Karl Wade from Galway. He still playing?

Where do you even start with Galway hurling unfulfilled talent :pac:

I think Wade is playing junior with Sarsfields these days, won a county senior medal in 2015

jr86 wrote: »
    Where do you even start with Galway hurling unfulfilled talent :pac:

I think Wade is playing junior with Sarsfields these days, won a county senior medal in 2015

Between tham and Laois a topic of it's own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Kerril Wade I think is who you are referring to. You could write a compilation of books on footballers and hurlers in Galway that disappeared after minor and U21.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Lee would be another one of Canning's generation who looked to set the world on fire at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Lee would be another one of Canning's generation who looked to set the world on fire at one stage.

I think I read somehere before he was going on to be a doctor and couldn’t combine the study and inter county.

He was a very classy centre back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gavin Duffy played for Mayo in the 1999 minor final.

He switched to rugby shortly after.

Michael Slingerman gave a great performance in the 2009 final, he switched to soccer but is back around the senior panel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

padd b1975 wrote: »

Michael Slingerman gave a great performance in the 2009 final, he switched to soccer but is back around the senior panel now.

Yet Slingerman can't make his club team at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

padd b1975 wrote: »

Mayo could have their own very lengthy thread on this topic! There's been so many that promised so much but never made the breakthrough for one reason or other....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What about Keith Kilkenny, Galway minor and I think U21 All Ireland winner with the hurlers. Definitely was captain on the minor team. Did he ever get a run at senior level with Galway?

Another Loais one is Michael Tierney. What ever came of him? Robbie Tasker from Armagh as well? Was on on the minor winning team in 2009? You could say the same about most of the Rosccomon minor team fron 2006 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Remember watching Aidan Walsh of Mayo (Castlebar Mitchell's) in the 2009 Minor final before the Cork Kerry Senior and thought he was a classy footballer. Freetaker too I believe. Don't think he made the step up? Anyone know anything about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Remember watching Aidan Walsh of Mayo (Castlebar Mitchell's) in the 2009 Minor final before the Cork Kerry Senior and thought he was a classy footballer. Freetaker too I believe. Don't think he made the step up? Anyone know anything about him.
    Still playing for Mitchell's. Good club player.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭North Cork Star

In Cork we lost a few players with massive potential changing over to professional sports.

Setanta O HAilpín changed over to Aussie Rules in 2004 joining club Carlton. He was Young Hurler of the Year in 2003.

Darren Sweetnam played for Cork in 2012, scoring 3 points from midfield against Tipp in the championship. Opted for rugby. Now a Munster regular and has Irish caps under his belt.

There was also a lad in Cork called Pa O Callaghan who had tremendous ability growing up. He looked to be the next Joe Canning, dominating the scoring in every game he played for his club, school and county. When he turned 20, 21 he got a run of injuries but also seemed to have lost interest. A pity as he had great potential.

This has reminded of a lot of players! It's also made me remember i'm getting old :(

Thomas Walsh of Carlow and Wicklow. What happened with him? Did he go back to Carlow in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

conor05 wrote: »
    I think I read somehere before he was going on to be a doctor and couldn’t combine the study and inter county.

when they beat us in 2008 (?) 21s final, I thought he was Galway's most effective player, Dublin had some very good forwards, Connolly was on the team, and they got little change that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

A few Kerry boys Declan Quill, Ian twiss ,paddy kelly and padraig Reidy. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Advertisement

Declan Quill was unluckly in that the Gooch came along at the same time as him, and he probally never really was given a chance in the championship.

Padraig Reidy probally never really recovered from the 2008 All-Ireland final, he was still around the pnael for a few years but never seemed to be the same.

Paddy Kelly was too busy transfering club every few years to make it back on the panel. Was last playing with Listowel about 10 years ago and haven't really heard anything about him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

B
    conor05 wrote: »

AND is a GP. Was classy surely but maybe a little slow and perhaps injury-prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Bonniedog wrote: »
    when they beat us in 2008 (?) 21s final, I thought he was Galway's most effective player, Dublin had some very good forwards, Connolly was on the team, and they got little change that day.

That was 2007, not 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

conor05 wrote:

He's a consultant now. Came back to hurl for Mellows has done his cruciate two years running so his hurling is probably behind him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Twiss was only ever a good free taker- nowhere near county standard as a player.

Quill was an excellent club player and back boned KOR for years but being very one legged limited his county exposure- still played a lot of league ball with Kerry

Reidy was solid but probably a little below the standard aswell but came along when Kerry were very strong in defence. Marked Conor cox off the pitch a few weeks ago in the county championship so he’s still able to handle good club players.

Paddy Kelly- as said above: who knows where he is but I never rated him as being a very top level footballer. Funnily enough I think he’s more suited to the game as it’s played now as opposed to the game of the 00’s. he wasn’t really a fetching midfielder of note but was a very powerful runner.

Twiss was only ever a good free taker- nowhere near county standard as a player.

Quill was an excellent club player and back boned KOR for years but being very one legged limited his county exposure- still played a lot of league ball with Kerry

Reidy was solid but probably a little below the standard aswell but came along when Kerry were very strong in defence. Marked Conor cox off the pitch a few weeks ago in the county championship so he’s still able to handle good club players.

Paddy Kelly- as said above: who knows where he is but I never rated him as being a very top level footballer. Funnily enough I think he’s more suited to the game as it’s played now as opposed to the game of the 00’s. he wasn’t really a fetching midfielder of note but was a very powerful runner.

Didn't say anything about Twiss as he was never really a standout even at club level.

Whenever Quill got a start in the championship he tended to always be wing forward when he was always an inside forward.

Paddy Kelly was also a strange one i thought. He played minor and U21 for 3 years yet never seemed to actually be good! I think he played with New York at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Didn't say anything about Twiss as he was never really a standout even at club level.

Whenever Quill got a start in the championship he tended to always be wing forward when he was always an inside forward.

Paddy Kelly was also a strange one i thought. He played minor and U21 for 3 years yet never seemed to actually be good! I think he played with New York at some stage

He did play with New York actually, forgot about that.
    Yeah I agree - I never saw much from him either to be honest but Jack had frightening loyalty to players

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

In Cork we lost a few players with massive potential changing over to professional sports.

Setanta O HAilpín changed over to Aussie Rules in 2004 joining club Carlton. He was Young Hurler of the Year in 2003.

Darren Sweetnam played for Cork in 2012, scoring 3 points from midfield against Tipp in the championship. Opted for rugby. Now a Munster regular and has Irish caps under his belt.

There was also a lad in Cork called Pa O Callaghan who had tremendous ability growing up. He looked to be the next Joe Canning, dominating the scoring in every game he played for his club, school and county. When he turned 20, 21 he got a run of injuries but also seemed to have lost interest. A pity as he had great potential.

Yeah Pa O'Callaghan has a falling out with minor management

Came back one year under 21 but refused to play for the seniors

One of the biggest talents in Cork that never quite made it senior was Conrad Murphy. Was brilliant minor in 2000. Crocked with hamstring injuries after that

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Good piece here on Kerry's Jack Ferriter. Another one who didn't get the rub of the green and a bit of bad luck it seems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/jack-ferriter-kerry-417200

Re: Pa O'Callaghan for cork. Probably the best club hurler in cork for a number of years. Looks to have put a bit of weight on the last few years. I believe he had a baby young and coupled with the falling out with Minor management probably didn't suit him to give his time to the Cork. Still young enough however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Kingston should still have a word with O'Callaghan even though I doubt he would actually commit to being on the panel

Def talented enough if we could get his fitness up

Advertisement