Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recalculating LTV & Mortgage Tax Relief

Options
  • 17-09-2019 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced yet a Recalculation of their Loan to Value for the House and kept their Mortgage Interest Relief from Revenue. I had my House re-evaluated and would be now below >50% LTV to get into a lower Interest Rate Bracket with AIB, however i am wondering if I would loose out on the Mortgage Interest Relief in doing so.

Welcome any suggestions ( i have a recall with the Bank but not sure if this is anything to do with them or with Revenue)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The relief is based on the interest paid. It is only a small part of it so there is zero sense in paying more interest yourself just to get a fraction of it paid back. You don't "lose out" on anything.

I changed LTV down two entire blocks to the under-50% rate and this brought a minor rate cut and hence a minor reduction in payments. TRS fell in line with that but I'm still saving money

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Don4tello

The Mortgage Interest Relief is the same as the Reduction in Interest Rate, so yes in fact i would be not loosing out but i would also not gain anything. Does that mean i would in fact loose it if i get the Recalculation of the LTV?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will still get TRS on the new payment. It'll be less, but as long as you are paying interest you'll get it.

It is going away entirely in a year or so anyway

Advertisement