Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent LED Downlights

Options
  • 29-08-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hey, can anyone recommend a good quality led downlight at a good price, only decent ones I can find are 15 euro each

Comments

IKEA best bang for buck in luminaires. Great colour rendering for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Hey, can anyone recommend a good quality led downlight at a good price, only decent ones I can find are 15 euro each
    Not sure what you expect. What I would consider good quality recessed luminaires would probably be slightly dearer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Philips hue.... Worth it for what you can do with them.

Philips hue.... Worth it for what you can do with them.

Phillips hue are the lowest standard CRI >80
    IKEA are >90.

Light quality and luminarie features are completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Phillips hue are the lowest standard CRI >80
    IKEA are >90.

Light quality and luminarie features are completely different things.

There is a new model one out now....

I bought 4 IKEA ones to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IKEA best bang for buck in luminaires. Great colour rendering for the price.

By luminaire you mean lamp ;)

Light emitter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Correct it's a lamp. A luminaire is the whole fitting, and with LEDs a lamp tends to include the lens to magnify the the source, it's the lens and the electronics that make or break a GU10 led.

GU10 fittings don't have a lot of space to fit electronics into, they get hot too. They are not great lamps really. Domestic commodity stuff.

And CRI is only part of it, it only comes into it for certain applications.

The angle is important as its often narrowed to increase the intensity directly under the lamp, but has little spread.

LMF is very important ikea don't seem to post this, either do some of the Philip's lamps. Some Philip's GU10s have LMF of 50 over 3 years.

This is poor enough. A fall off in intensity approaching 50 percent after 3 years is poor.

OP it's very difficult to talk about a good quality led as they change so much.

Wasn't too long ago I was deleting posts from flutes guaranteeing that their Philip's lamps would last 15 years.

Philips are a great company and will replace those lamps for you for 15 years.

I bought some IKEA lamps that have been ok and I've others that were poor

I am very confident that the Philips smart lamps are superior to the ikea ones, as I tested same.

That said that could improve with the next batch.

Overall ikea and Philip's are competing with some rubbish fittings in the GU 10 market.

You should be able to get an ok one from each brand for 5 or 6 euro.

Keep your receipts, both handle returns excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I find the Ikea GU10 lamps don't last at all, of about 15 of them I have once fails every couple of months

I just bought a bag of these.

I've been super impressed with their high density high CRI strip led.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've been super impressed with their high density high CRI strip led.

There is no LMF listed here again. Usually this is not a good sign as I've yet to see a LMF that I had to go looking for being decent when I eventually get it.

Not looking at factors like the angle of the lamp, LMF and switching cycles is similar to selecting a car based on its top speed alone and ignoring warranty, economics etc.

What will the output of that lamp be like in one or two years?

The price isn't bad, the output is similar to the ikea ones.

How long have you had them Liamalot?
    Have you had reason to return one and how was it handled?

This Strip is kicking bottom and taking names.
    I've put 5m in a 20ft container, 3m in the kitchen undercounter, magnetised battons for 4.5m and circumnavigated the workshop.

I'm saving the shillin's for this strip for the labortory.

Stoner wrote: »
    How long have you had them Liamalot?

I put 10 in the kitchen/dining room.
    3 days later I decided while they are a pretty, woody, yellar. It's a bit too sodium (2500°K) and the output is poor.
    The hall looks great now, I reverted the kitchen back to whatever was in them (neutral white/CRI 80/ 4 x lumen).

Advertisement