Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2019, 17:25   #61
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firblog View Post
Thanks for the praise I think that was by far the best set of 12 I've managed

It was a recurve (30lb) olympic archery kit from merlin in UK, got one for the OH as surprise for Christmas, and then she got me one when it I took a liking to it.

As I said I've managed to get to the maidencity archery club in Derry twice now, - every second Saturday morning - they've put the nock point in the correct position, and pointed out a few basic issues I had. I'll most likely join the club for 6 months to see how I go over the summer; but in that time I'll only get there max 12 times so I'll need the weather to be kind to get some practice in.
Which such few trips to the club then i definitely recommend youtube. There is a huge amount of great information regarding olympic recurve shooting.

Look at the videos on how to tune a olympic recurve.
Stuff like (as you already got fixed) the knocking point, brace height, tiller, correct release, correct anchor point, correctly holding the bow etc etc.

There are a million and one tiny things that you can do that will have a tiny impact on your shot, but all combined it creates consistency and accuracy.

Also be patient. When you try something new which is supposed to improve your performance , your shot will always get worse before it gets better. It takes a while to get used to a new element in your shot.

I changed the way i held the string in my finger tab last night. Spent hours with terrible shooting before it finally clicked and my shot went back to the way it was before. I changed the way i held the string because i was getting a numb middle finger, so i distributed more of the weight onto the first and third finger.

Last edited by BrokenArrows; 01-05-2019 at 17:32.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-05-2019, 15:38   #62
greysides

Archery will be hard to learn without contact. Not impossible, hard. Errors will be ingrained before being pointed out. You'll need to get archery savvy quick. Make the most of books, videos and websites. Best ofluck.
Thanks from:
17-06-2019, 18:53   #63
BrokenArrows

Haven't been shooting much lately but managed to win a WA18 competition in my club at the weekend. Qualified with 523 and managed to win the head 2 head rounds.

Last edited by BrokenArrows; 18-06-2019 at 13:10.
Thanks from:
17-06-2019, 23:20   #64
greysides

Good going.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size