Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church marriage found but no corresponding civil

Options
  • 19-07-2018 9:40am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

Looking for some help please.

Church marriage 21/10/1871 in St Michael's, Limerick city. Mary Jane Mahony to James Irwin. No parents' names recorded. Her descendants show a DNA link to mine and I have someone of that name born in 1856 in the relevant family, who I never found details of thereafter. The descendants have an extensive tree on Ancestry.

There should be a civil marriage but I can't find it. Rootsireland has the transcription from the church record, which I also found on Ancestry and FMP. Finding the civil would lock down this as the right connection (but it's a strong one so I already feel it's right). I've tried Shane's trick of flipping pages back and forth: the McNamara-Coghlan marriage on the same church register page is here, but it misses out a few marriages.

Would appreciate some fresh eyes please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I too have found church marriages with no civil marriage records to back them up. I think sometimes the priest just forgot or there might have been a cover up - like one of the parties being previously married.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, I've just been looking at their kids and the first was born 3 weeks before they got married, so that may well be the case!! His baptism is recorded a year before his birth registration too.

Actually scrap that, it's a Rootsireland transcription error. He was born in 1872.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Church marriage 21/10/1871 in St Michael's, Limerick city. Mary Jane Mahony to James Irwin.

Probably not a significant factor but the date looks more like the 19th to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Have you checked the first quarter of 1872?

Yes - I ran the search without years to pick up anything with the right names, as well as checking variant names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Oooh I've found a second marriage connection to these people. Definitely on the right track.

44 new people on my tree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

It's strange, I've looked up the couples married before and after James Irwin and Mary Jane, and they are all recorded on the civil register, but no James & Mary Jane. See https://bit.ly/2L9ZEHy & https://bit.ly/2myKc8Z.

It is possible that they got a church blessing for their union - maybe they had been married before in a registry office.... or there may have been some other obstacle.

It's very odd. I also looked for others at the same time.

They were both Catholics. I'm not aware of a consanguinity issue. James remarried after Mary died (1891).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I have this same problem and it's been a thorn in my side for years. Mayo marriage from 1903, nothing otherwise out of the ordinary, but no matching civil record. A very kind lady at the GRO said they even looked through the original district register. Nothing. It's the worst because even though I have a potential birth record and parents for the bride, they remain unconfirmed. It's the itch I might never scratch.

Advertisement