Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family links in Galway

Options
  • 05-07-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My mothers (who is 80) fathers half brother (this guy is long dead) upped sticks one day and moved to Galway. They never heard anything more from him. It is highly likely he has/has family in Galway (not sure whether city or county).

I know his first name and approx dob. I've researched online and can't find anything.

Where and how would I get access to this mans mariage, death certs etc?

Thanks in advance,
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Welcome!

Have a read of our sticky to get started. If you don't know his surname, then it'll be tough.

If you want to post his details, we can have a go at helping you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Welcome!

Have a read of our sticky to get started. If you don't know his surname, then it'll be tough.

If you want to post his details, we can have a go at helping you.

I've been researching for 2 years and checked out online but no joy.

His name is James Mulligan, born approx 1904/1905/1906

This is him here http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/Ballymascanlan/Bellurgan/579743/

Dad is Patrick Mulligan
    Mum is Margaret Mallon (I think)

Thanks

Right, so there's only 2 matches in the 3 Louth registration districts in the likely years of 1920-1940 and neither have a father called Patrick.

If you search in Galway, there's a lot of registration districts to check:
    Ballinasloe
    Ballinrobe
    Clifden
    Galway
    Glennamaddy
    Gort
    Longhrea
    Mountbellew
    Oughterard
    Portumna
    Scarriff
    Tuam

However, not one of those districts has a James Mulligan marriage in the period.

That leaves 68 marriages to check in other registration districts. You'll need to go through them all and narrow it down to those with fathers called Patrick. Then I suggest contacting the relevant churches to ask them for the mother's name on the corresponding register.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Right, so there's only 2 matches in the 3 Louth registration districts in the likely years of 1920-1940 and neither have a father called Patrick.

If you search in Galway, there's a lot of registration districts to check:
    Ballinasloe
    Ballinrobe
    Clifden
    Galway
    Glennamaddy
    Gort
    Longhrea
    Mountbellew
    Oughterard
    Portumna
    Scarriff
    Tuam

However, not one of those districts has a James Mulligan marriage in the period.

That leaves 68 marriages to check in other registration districts. You'll need to go through them all and narrow it down to those with fathers called Patrick. Then I suggest contacting the relevant churches to ask them for the mother's name on the corresponding register.
    I've gone through every marriage for James Mulligan from 1916 to 1940 on the
    Irish Genealogy website. No matches.

Is there somewhere else to check?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could he have gone to England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Are you certain he ever married?

Try marriages in Northern Ireland and Britain. Indexes for the latter on FMP/freebmd/Ancestry, but without a spouse surname, you'll have to spend a lot of money to see them, as they only provide certified copies at £9.25. GRONI does at least do digitised images of the register for a couple of quid a go, which can be accessed immediately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You could also try a newspaper search, since he's unlikely to have died before it became commonplace to have a death notice. €10 for 24 hours on the Irish News Archive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

You could also try a newspaper search, since he's unlikely to have died before it became commonplace to have a death notice. €10 for 24 hours on the Irish News Archive.

I got gold from searching Irish News Archive for death notices. In Dublin, the Pearse Street Library has computer terminals that library users can access the website for free, maybe other large libraries have similar access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Glwy

Hi, if anyone knows how to contact original poster. That my Grandfather they are searching. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Glwy wrote: »
    Hi, if anyone knows how to contact original poster. That my Grandfather they are searching. Thanks

They were online last month. When they come online again, they will see there is a new answer to this thread and see your post.

Only if they followed the thread.

You can send a private message by clicking on their username and selecting "send private message"

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement