Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

I ran a 3.19 in Dublin Sunday (male 45-49) so very unlikely I'll make Boston 2021 Q time, I'm thinking of Seville in Feb or Rotterdam in April to get closer to 3.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I ran a 2:58 at DCM will i have a chance for 2021.Male and I was 39 for this so I'll be 41 hopefully.

I qualified for 2020 with 2:59:xx. I was 38 when I ran the qualifying time, so I'd say you'll have a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/enter/qualify

History at the bottom of that page. You would hope, at least I hope, that 2021 won't be too different from 2020 seeing as they cut the qualifying times by 5 minutes from 2019 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

It's a year now since I ran my BQ at Valencia, so it's time to get started again. I'm going with the Hanson's plan (slightly adapted) again, taking a week or two out mid-plan to race the Seville Half.

Nervous about the Boston hills, but it'll make a nice change from the flatness of Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 4202020

Anyone got any thoughts on whether this will get cancelled? My training is going pretty well so would be a bit disappointed if it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Tokyo, Rome Paris, all gone. Hard to see it go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

From their site:

The Boston Athletic Association continues to meet and work closely with city and state officials to ensure a safe and successful Boston Marathon. We have been carefully monitoring updates related to coronavirus (COVID-19) and as local and national developments come to light have been planning under the guidance of health and municipal agencies. We will continue working with city and state officials, and we will closely follow updates from organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Public Health, and World Health Organization. The B.A.A. will adhere to policies put forth by the federal, state, and local governments.

Not much else has been cancelled in the US and I feel the BAA would be very unwilling to cancel Boston unless "told" to do so. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. It is still 40 days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Downtime wrote: »
    From their site:

The Boston Athletic Association continues to meet and work closely with city and state officials to ensure a safe and successful Boston Marathon. We have been carefully monitoring updates related to coronavirus (COVID-19) and as local and national developments come to light have been planning under the guidance of health and municipal agencies. We will continue working with city and state officials, and we will closely follow updates from organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Public Health, and World Health Organization. The B.A.A. will adhere to policies put forth by the federal, state, and local governments.

Not much else has been cancelled in the US and I feel the BAA would be very unwilling to cancel Boston unless "told" to do so. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. It is still 40 days out.

The NYC Half got cancelled this evening, which is think is quite a big development in terms of anything else going ahead..., would you prefer to be told now, or happy to wait until 5 days out to be told?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    The NYC Half got cancelled this evening, which is think is quite a big development in terms of anything else going ahead..., would you prefer to be told now, or happy to wait until 5 days out to be told?

I'd be happy to wait until April at least. The 2nd, not the 1st.

Looks more likely to take place in Autumn now according to the Boston Globe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Looks more likely to take place in Autumn now according to the Boston Globe

Announcement due at 5.00 ET today.

14 Sept .

should be warm, but at least now there's a plan

14 Sept .

should be warm, but at least now there's a plan

Average of 23 degrees High and 14 Degrees Low - Dublin summer will be perfect training weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Downtime wrote: »
    Average of 23 degrees High and 14 Degrees Low - Dublin summer will be perfect training weather.

23? Which Dublin are you living in? :pac:

14 would be nice :D

Looking forward to the summer training now.

Got an email from them asking if I could run on Sept 14 , so they could figure out what numbers will be like and what options they are going to offer people who can't run.
    I don't think I'll run in Sept. I'd run next April if offered a deferral or submit a new entry if not.

23? Which Dublin are you living in? :pac

Ill put a jacket on to get the temp up :)

They're going to offer a refund to anyone who can't run in Sept. No option to defer to 2021 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

They're going to offer a refund to anyone who can't run in Sept. No option to defer to 2021 .

At least they are doing the decent thing unlike Paris who point blank refuse to give any refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Officially cancelled for 2020. Full refund. They are planning Virtual events if you are into that sort of thing.

Sounds like we will be able to use previous qualifying time to apply for next year, but no guarantees.

• Advertisement

(Q) Can I use my 2020 Boston Marathon qualifying time for the 2021 Boston Marathon?
    (A) Yes. The B.A.A. is reviewing all specifics involved in the registration procedure for the 2021 Boston Marathon, and additional details related to both the qualifying window and registration dates for the 2021 Boston Marathon will be announced and posted in the coming weeks.

Get in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

(Q) Can I use my 2020 Boston Marathon qualifying time for the 2021 Boston Marathon?
    (A) Yes. The B.A.A. is reviewing all specifics involved in the registration procedure for the 2021 Boston Marathon, and additional details related to both the qualifying window and registration dates for the 2021 Boston Marathon will be announced and posted in the coming weeks.

Get in!!!

I'd love to know what they think will be different in April 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Get in!!!

Yeah, this is probably the best option. Given how few races are likely to take place this year, and assuming that they will bump the numbers like 2014, I doubt the cut off (yes, that debate has already started !) will move that much. Horrible for the squeakers but someone was going to lose out.

Advertisement