Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2020

Options
  • 09-09-2019 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Entry week . Anyone doing it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I am planning to enter. I was supposed to run this year but forced out due injury. I think the window for me opens on Wednesday. Hopefully there will be no cut-off issues with the new qualifying time standards this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    Entry week . Anyone doing it ?

I have an 8 second qualifier, we’ll see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

No bq for me this year :(, best of luck to all applying - I hope you get in as its an awesome evebt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Singer wrote: »
    I have an 8 second qualifier, we’ll see what happens!

Do you believe in miracles ?

Do you believe in miracles ?

I believe in the qualifier being moved by 5 minutes! I would have been in last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Will be attempting to register on Friday. Cut off for me is 03:05:00, and I have 02:59:09 from Valencia in November. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Came in with nine seconds to spare. :o

Have to wait until Monday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 4202020

Will be attempting to register on Friday. Cut off for me is 03:05:00, and I have 02:59:09 from Valencia in November. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hi. My cut-off was also 03:05:00 and my qualifying time is also 02:59:09 (though not from Valencia). Such a coincidence that I was inspired to register for Boards and reply here.

Anyway, I just got my email of acceptance. Presume you did too!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

4202020 wrote: »
    Hi. My cut-off was also 03:05:00 and my qualifying time is also 02:59:09 (though not from Valencia). Such a coincidence that I was inspired to register for Boards and reply here.

Anyway, I just got my email of acceptance. Presume you did too!

That's gas. I would have run a little quicker if I'd known some random stranger was going to equal my time :D I just checked my email, and I'm in too. Bring it on!

Welcome to Boards btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shellyboss

Got my acceptance as well this morn,not as fast as you guys but had 6mins to spare so all good thankfully.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Came in with nine seconds to spare. :o

Have to wait until Monday. :)

Well it was nice to at least able to be apply. A sign I'm moving in the right direction.

I'll update on my knock back later in the week. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Back for another crack at this. Learned a lot from last year (finally reaching the start and finish lines!) so hopefully I can put the education to good use this time around.

Interesting to see the times this year. I'd assume that the cut off will be low this year based on the stricter times and reported lower number of BQ times in the US. I had to bail on my last ditch attempt to improve my qualifying time, so I'm hoping I can still hang onto a 2nd wave start.

I entered with my giant 8 second buffer anyway. The cutoff prediction thread on Letsrun doesn't fill me with hope, unless the field gets dramatically increased (which has been rumoured, though possibly out of pure optimism). I should have run last year's marathon the year before!

Singer wrote: »
    I should have run last year's marathon the year before!

You what now???!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

bonaparte2 wrote: »

Ah well. Next up, rejection from London :)

Yep, got the sling your hook email too.

Fortunately for me, with my next marathon, I’ll pass into an older category assuming I’m reading everything right about it being your age on the day of Boston as opposed to the day of your qualifying time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

In again for the 8th year in a row (didn't show up for 2 of them though).

Had a 16 minute cushion (benefits of being older) - hopefully still quick enough for a Wave 1 start - I was hoping to improve my entry time next week in Minneapolis/St. Paul but injury and illness has forced a 5 week taper so it's not likely.

Any Boston Marathon queries let me know - can't guarantee I have the right answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

In again for the 8th year in a row (didn't show up for 2 of them though).

Had a 16 minute cushion (benefits of being older) - hopefully still quick enough for a Wave 1 start - I was hoping to improve my entry time next week in Minneapolis/St. Paul but injury and illness has forced a 5 week taper so it's not likely.

Any Boston Marathon queries let me know - can't guarantee I have the right answer though.

Any accommodation recommendations? Does the T operate early?

Thanks Paulie

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Thanks Paulie

Occupancy levels are quite high in Boston all year around so for marathon weekend top dollar is charged. I've always stayed within walking distance of Boston Common so I could walk to the pick up in the morning. It is costly though. I've generally stayed here: Kimpton Nine Zero but this time I'm gonna go to the Intercontinental.

Not sure about the T.

• Advertisement

Thanks Paulie

I was there this year and stayed a little bit outside of downtown Boston, close to the airport in an Air B&B about 5 stops o the T from Boston Common and the T started running at 5.30am

Yep, got the sling your hook email too.

Fortunately for me, with my next marathon, I’ll pass into an older category assuming I’m reading everything right about it being your age on the day of Boston as opposed to the day of your qualifying time!!

Your qualifying time will be at whatever age you are on raceday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Thanks Paulie

I got the T the morining of the race to boston common when I done it. Talk to a travel agent. I got flights (shannon) & accomadation Midtown Hotel 2/3 star (room only) half a mile from the start for €2000 for me and herself indoors for 5 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

The Boston Marathon qualifying time was moved from 3.25 to 3.20 for Male 45-49 for 2020, and the "cut off" time went down from 4.52 in 2019 to 1.39 for 2020.

"Cut-Off Time" refers to the amount of time one needed to be below their respective qualifying standard in order to be accepted.

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/enter/qualify/history-qualifying-times

Will be interesting to see what happens for 2021, will it stablise and 3.18 could get the likes of me in, or go back to 2019 levels where one had to be nearly 5 mins below the Q time and require a 3.15.

The way things are going it could drop to 3:16:00ish.

You'd probably want to be looking to sub 3:15 to be on the safe side.

I'm in the same boat as you and that'll be my minimum target for my spring marathon next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭ooter

ran 3:18 yesterday, have I any chance?

ooter wrote: »
    ran 3:18 yesterday, have I any chance?

What age will you be on race day and what gender are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I ran a 2:58 at DCM will i have a chance for 2021.Male and I was 39 for this so I'll be 41 hopefully.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭ooter

What age will you be on race day and what gender are you?

i'm in the male 45-49 category

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    i'm in the male 45-49 category

You would've needed 3hrs 18min 21sec for Boston 2020.

And times seem to be coming down every year so unlikely you'll make 2021.

Back out for a spring marathon so!

Edit - Sorry, wrong time put in, fixed now.

Advertisement