Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cursed Child book release 31-7-2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Only for people with pretty small minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

So her skin colour is different and it's a big issue but having different hair or, being a different height, having a different accent is fine?

Well yes, assuming the new actress would be a believable 40 year version of the character Emma Watson played in the 8 previous films.

So if she's Scottish, or American, that would be fine as long as she's white? Daft point of view in my opinion.

So if she's Scottish, or American, that would be fine as long as she's white? Daft point of view in my opinion.

I never said that did I? I said a believable 40 year old version of Watson's character with no daft changes that you seem to be trying to strawman me with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I have a bigger issue with the thought of Voldemort reproducing if I am honest!

• Advertisement

I'm not at all - you've said continuity is important to you, hence she shouldn't be black. But then you're not as picky about other characteristics. Almost as if you think skin colour is a big deal...

I'm not at all - you've said continuity is important to you, hence she shouldn't be black. But then you're not as picky about other characteristics. Almost as if you think skin colour is a big deal...

Characteristics such as making her Scottish or American as you pointed out for some bizarre reason? That would be just as daft as changing the skin colour within the film continuity.

Anyway I'm done with this thread now, I know your game as I've experienced it before, so I'm not bothered about rising to these sly accusations that you're making.

An impression, that's all it is. What impact whatsoever would the actress being black have on your enjoyment or understanding of the movie?!

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Characteristics such as making her Scottish or American as you pointed out for some bizarre reason? That would be just as daft as changing the skin colour within the film continuity.

Anyway I'm done with this thread now, I know your game as I've experienced it before, so I'm not bothered about rising to these sly accusations that you're making.

My "game" ffs. Are you feeling victimised or something here because I happen to disagree with you (again)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Mod Note

It's perfectly reasonable to disagree with each other, healthy even, just keep it civil. Thanks

• Advertisement

No no you have the wrong of it, the racist sentiment started when it was suggested that it would be unacceptable to hypothetically cast a black actress in a hypothetical film adaptation of the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Did you both not see my mod note?

You've made your points, move on, final warning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I liked it, I say be fun to see live
    I can understand some of the criticism but I still enjoyed it

Some of the dialogue was bit suspect at times and the whole timeline of "Hermione being a b!tch because she didn't end up with Ron" was bit ridiculous but I'll admit I fanboyed over the Snape material ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I imagine she gave a good audition and she was considered the best person for the role.

Book covers are irrelevant, a decision made by publishers. The books never say Hermione is white, even if that was Rowling's intention (which it obviously was). One of the wonderful things about literature is that we're all free to interpret things differently.
    Actually the books do say shes white, something along the lines of white as a ghost and she sketched a picture of them with Hermione as white.
    Me personally Im not happy she was changed to black, but Im all about consistency, had she been black from the start it wouldnt have made a tiny difference, there is a lack of black kids in main roles tbh

Only for people with pretty small minds.
    Thats a silly attitude, just because your open to a black actress taking the part doesnt make you any more open minded

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I liked it, I say be fun to see live
    I can understand some of the criticism but I still enjoyed it

Some of the dialogue was bit suspect at times and the whole timeline of "Hermione being a b!tch because she didn't end up with Ron" was bit ridiculous but I'll admit I fanboyed over the Snape material ha
    Any chance of a quick review, Im not really a fan of reading plays, but you think its worth doing for a Potter fan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just finished it. I've got one question:
    Did Ron do anything of note? I don't remember him doing a single thing apart from attempting to be funny.

I just finished it. I've got one question:
    Did Ron do anything of note? I don't remember him doing a single thing apart from attempting to be funny.

Nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I read it over a couple of hours on a long bus journey, it passed the time but that was about it. As others have already said, it felt very much like fan fiction and not very good fan fiction at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MadDogGames

Is this worth buying would you say? I've been an avid Harry Potter fan but I don't want this to ruin its legacy for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

It's a pleasant read but you are not missing anything if you don't buy it. I would just get it in library, I wouldn't go back to reread it a second time.

Advertisement