Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reed organ - where do I get felt?

Options
  • 15-05-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have an old harmonium/reed organ which I have decided to restore from the ground up.

It's complete & I have, or at least have access to, all of the tools that I need to carry out the work.

All of the keys however will need to be re-felted.

Does anyone know whereabouts in Ireland I would be able to buy the appropriate felt for a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

that's going to be a bit niche.......

regular felt from a craft shop...... will be a reasonable price.

the REAL thing? in Ireland? the market will be so small that it'll be very expensive.

I wouldnt even try. online somewhere is much more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Have you seen this site?

https://reedorgansireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

@Hoagy,

Thanks for posting the URL to that site! I will get in contact & see what sources can be recommended...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

@Hoagy,

Thanks for posting the URL to that site! I will get in contact & see what sources can be recommended...

That's great, I hope it goes well for you.

There is a guy in the US called Rodney Jantzi who has a lot of videos on YT which are worth a look.

His website is https://www.rodneyjantzi.com/

As far as I can see he started off like you, restoring one reed organ and he became obsessed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Cheers!

I know of Rodnay Jantzi alright. He is involved in the Reed Organ Society which I have just recently signed up to.

As for having one & then becoming obsessed - OAS (organ acquisition syndrome) quite spread like covid does but seemingly the odds of recovery are less than zero!

• Advertisement
Advertisement