Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Saorview aerial Cork city

Options
  • 12-11-2020 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all.

Does anyone know if an indoor Saorview aerial will work in Cork city? (Rochestown Road area....)

My uncle wants to put a 2nd tv in another room for Christmas. His main one is connected to a Sky box in a different room.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

Using this, it seems that if you are nearly into Douglas you can pick up Spur Hill, which is 7km away. If you're further down the road (from Rochestown Park Hotel down) you need to connect to Mullaghanish, which is 50+ km away. I assume Maryborough Hill blocks Spur Hill as you head towards Rochestown itself.

An indoor aerial might work for 7km, won't work for 50+km.

My parents live near the Rochestown Inn, only roof aerial worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Thanks, Dulpit.

Excellent link!

He's about half a mile from the Rochestown Inn on the Douglas side so highly unlikely he'd be able to get anything Spur Hill.........

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

I have a small High Gain Freeview TV indoor aerial connected to a smart tv. I'm 4km from my local transmitter with reasonable line of sight.

Why are some channels e.g. RTE1 absolutely perfect, but others e.g. RTE2 much less so?

Is it possible to put a more powerful aerial in the attic and 'beam' the signal to the TV? I'd like to avoid more cabling if I could....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

I am a mile or two away in Grange and I am getting Mullaghanish on an indoor antenna in the attic. Masthead amp on it as well. If I remember correctly I couldn’t get Spur Hill

WHL wrote: »
    I am a mile or two away in Grange and I am getting Mullaghanish on an indoor antenna in the attic. Masthead amp on it as well. If I remember correctly I couldn’t get Spur Hill

Thanks, WHL.

I checked with a guy who does satellite dishes and aerials and he reckons my uncle definitely wouldn't get a Saorview signal with an indoor aerial where he is on the Rochestown Road.

Maybe yours works because you would be higher up in Grange than he is.

It's surprising that you couldn't get a signal from Spur Hill where you are.....

• Advertisement

I am higher up in Grange but the Saorview site also points me to Mullaghanish. My second choice would be Collins Barracks as I have line of sight to that which I wouldn’t have to Spur Hill

I just spoke to a buddy that lives on the city side of the church on Rochestown Road (Newlyn Vale). He is getting Saorview from Mullaghanish with an antenna in the attic. Might be worth a try

WHL wrote: »
    I just spoke to a buddy that lives on the city side of the church on Rochestown Road (Newlyn Vale). He is getting Saorview from Mullaghanish with an antenna in the attic. Might be worth a try

Thanks, WHL.

I'll look into that........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

blindsider wrote: »

Is it possible to put a more powerful aerial in the attic and 'beam' the signal to the TV? I'd like to avoid more cabling if I could....

Thanks

No, that would be an unauthorised transmitter which is illegal and would cause interference to others nearby.

You will have to use cable like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

blindsider wrote: »

If you have mains power available in the attic you could put a receiver up there and connect it wirelessly to the tv. The best option is something like wireless hdmi. Cheaper products that connect to a scart socket are very poor quality, if the can even be bought.

If wifi is available there are options to use this to extend the signal from a box in the attic, also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement