Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new TV Saorview question

Options
  • 02-11-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭

Buying a new TV for play room, had Sky hooked up to it but have now got rid of Sky sub so this leaves me with a Sky HD box with no Sky channels but have Freeview stations but no Irish stations on it.
    If I buy a TV that has Saorview built in, do I need an aerial connected to the TV to receive Irish Stations on the Sky line or does it receive it without having to do anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dubrov

You'll need an aerial connected directly to the tv to get Irish channels. You might be able to get away with a cheap indoor one depending on your location.

Once connected, you'll need to tune in the channels. Look for something like auto-tune terrestrial/aerial in the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 41 G10B

It may be worth keeping in mind if getting a new TV that it is possible to get one with a FTA satellite tuner built in along with saorview.
    Then sky box would then be redundant. Only one remote needed. The downside would be the channels would need to be tuned as there is no standard EPG with FTA. An aerial would still be required for saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

You could get a tv with saorview built in for Irish stations and use the sky box for other channels. You will still need an antenna for saorview

If you take the viewing card out you still should be able to get Bbc/itv/e4 etc channels on the sky box.

Alternative is a saorview combi box that has an aerial and satellite input for both and you can tune it all in on the one box.

Sky epg is better and you can just favourite the channels you use for convenience if you don’t mind 2 remotes for switching between the two

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Buying a new TV for play room, had Sky hooked up to it but have now got rid of Sky sub so this leaves me with a Sky HD box with no Sky channels but have Freeview stations but no Irish stations on it.
    If I buy a TV that has Saorview built in, do I need an aerial connected to the TV to receive Irish Stations on the Sky line or does it receive it without having to do anything else?

As has been said you will need an aerial for Saorview, the Sky HD will get you some nót all UK FTA channels and when you remove your old sub card, the UK channels will stay as they were when you had a sub, i.e. BBC1 on 138 or something like that. If buying a new TV LG tv's have Saorview and freesat, so BBC1 on 101 etc and a 7 day EPG and auto tune, if channels change number, but you do have to change source, a few clicks on the remote. Others like Walker, Nordmende, Toshiba have Saorview and UK channels on the one list, 7 day EPG on Saorview but now and next on satellite, most of the above are smart, WiFi, with the main apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Have a UK Sky card picked up from Adverts some years ago and have been using that since I left Sky and works fine with BBC1 101, BBC 2 102 and so on.
    Missus wanted TV3 so trying to figure out easiest way to do that.
    Have to get new TV so was trying to figure out, did I actually need the aerial to get the Irish Stations with a built in Saorview tuner or not and based on the replies above, I guess I do so might rethink what I need to do.

Any recommendations re aerial?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In general the closer you are to a transmitter the stronger the signal.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

As mentioned above, and depending on where you are, you might get away with a cheap indoor one, no harm in trying. But if your neighbours have outdoor aerials, you will probably need one as well. If you have to get someone to install it, they will advise. TV3 is gone, three Virgin channels on Saorview now.

In general the closer you are to a transmitter the stronger the signal.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf
    TV3 is gone, three Virgin channels on Saorview now.

Tx.
    Close enough to Three Rock.

Old habits and all that ;)

What tuner should a TV have to get Saorview, might go to Amazon to pick up a TV and need to make sure it has Saorview built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

What tuner should a TV have to get Saorview, might go to Amazon to pick up a TV and need to make sure it has Saorview built in?

All new LG smart tv's have saorview built in. A friend of mine bought me a LG-49UN7100 2020 tv and it tuned saorview in perfectly with a cheap black tip wide-band directional antenna. I don't know about other smart tv manufacturers but I do know that all new LG tv's have the saorview frequencies built in.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Anything intended for use in Europe will work with Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dubrov

okidoki987 wrote:

DVB-T2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Saorview has a list. There are 638 LG TV's on it.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sometimes when searching for a channel on tv can be daunting,if you had twin sat feeds in your room with the old sky + hd box,might i suggest a zgemma h7s which can have 2 sat tuners and saorview with built in hdd should you wish to record.If you got a tv with saorview tuner you could view that channel and record another on the saorview tuner on box.+you can watch and record a sat channel and view another.

Advertisement