Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proofing door?

Options
  • 04-10-2020 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    What's best approach for sound proofing a door? Want to limit sound leaking into adjacent room when watching home Cinema.
    Thanks
    Mick

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

also floor ceilings and walls

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mass is a big point in reducing sound transmission - agree with the post above about all the other surfaces in the room.

If there is a lot of leakage through the door, you could change it for a solid (not panelled) door, heavier the better, and used sealing gasket, like draughtexcluder foam all around the edges. It should also be fitted with a seal along the bottom so that when it’s closed there is no gap for sound leakage. Bearin mind that this may contribute to “sealing” the room - may get stuffy.

Thee is endless info on sound transmission on avsforum.com, its USA centric but had loads of good info and a fair few European posters as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Pls excuse spelling errors, my one finger typing is less accurate than I would wish !

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Headphones would probably be a cheaper and better solution

From experience, headphones, while useful for late night viewing, are absolutely no substitute for a decent surround setup and a couple of subs :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭micks_address

The Ritz wrote: »
    From experience, headphones, while useful for late night viewing, are absolutely no substitute for a decent surround setup and a couple of subs :-)

So I've already a solid wood door.. I've ordered some self adhesive sound dampening material which I'll stick to the door and some sound absorbing tiles which I'll put over that. Might not deaden the sound but should make it softer in the room...tiled floor and solid concrete walls so it's a bit harsh at the moment.. I'll post results when done

Tiled floor is a difficult one - could you try a rug between your seats and the screen, deaden things a little- your fronts and centre are mounted up high, right ? It would help absorb them reflect8ng off the floor - a couple of a absorbant panels on the side wallS beside your L and R would also help, they don’t have to be ugly, you could use two egg-crate foam panels and cover them with a light coloured fabric to blend in with the wall.

S.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Tiled floor is a difficult one - could you try a rug between your seats and the screen, deaden things a little- your fronts and centre are mounted up high, right ? It would help absorb them reflect8ng off the floor - a couple of a absorbant panels on the side wallS beside your L and R would also help, they don’t have to be ugly, you could use two egg-crate foam panels and cover them with a light coloured fabric to blend in with the wall.

S.

Thanks already have the rug. Sound deadening material arrived today. That's going on the door and then I'm going to cover with acoustic foam..should help. Might add some more foam to the walls I'll see how the door works out

Thanks already have the rug. Sound deadening material arrived today. That's going on the door and then I'm going to cover with acoustic foam..should help. Might add some more foam to the walls I'll see how the door works out

Ok so I've insulated the door..

PXL-20201016-153717135.jpg
    PXL-20201016-153715388.jpg
    PXL-20201016-153658376.jpg
    PXL-20201016-153653260-MP.jpg
    PXL-20201012-105050468.jpg
    PXL-20201013-103731766.jpg

I'm missing a picture but I put some pine paneling I had over the deadening material to close the gap before adding the foam layer on the outside. Sound from speakers noticeably less harsh in the room. Had some foam left after so whacked it on the wall behind cabinet where screen project's onto.

Materials

Sound dampening

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B24JM34?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Foam
    https://www.soundinsulation.ie/product/acoustic-foam/

• Advertisement

Big difference on the other side of the door :)

Advertisement