Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei Ascend G300 Firmware and ICS Update

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

^ yes....as you need to new the new/updated Baseband version which B926/7 has....in order to update the B934/6 from there.

The rooting/CWM process is long and a pain in the arse....it's not hard, just alot of steps and if you don't read the instructions or miss a step it takes ages, like i did :o

Haha, the exact same thing happened to me. Then when I done the brothers phone after it, reading all the steps, it took me like 10% of the time. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Two questions lads.

1. Will there be an official 'painless' ICS update released by vodafone that doesn't involve rooting and all that stuff?

2. Will I have have to put the vodafone SIM card back in to receive it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

B936 seems to be working fine. It took me half a day to go from stock Vodafone gingerbread to B926 as described by Modamco and after re-rooting and reinstalling Clockwork Mod took it to B936.

Then a lot re-installing again. But everything seems to work. Phone feels faster, especially booting.

Only thing left is installing a different kernel and changing the boot animation, but sofar thumbs up for B936.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Official Russian OTA update, build B940....cwm ROM for flashing:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/357413-ics-repack-403-b940-u8815-ota-release-rom/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob.ob

Two questions lads.

1. Will there be an official 'painless' ICS update released by vodafone that doesn't involve rooting and all that stuff?

2. Will I have have to put the vodafone SIM card back in to receive it?

Thanks.

1: There will be an official 'painless' update supposedly on Friday, but that could change. Vodafone handed the update over to Huawei 3 weeks ago, why it's taken them this long to roll out the OTA update, I do not know, but they are saying they'll do it on Friday. So Settings > About Phone > Online Upgrade should work on Friday.

2. I really don't know, you may need to, but it would only be if vodafone put something into the update to make sure you were a customer, which I don't see why they would (although they have been acting dickish in that manner lately). As long as your phone is set to receive updates from the same place as it was when you got it (as in you haven't rooted it with any 3rd party updates) you should be able to get the update fine, but then again, since it's an exclusive deal with vodafone, for the time being, the update repo might be synced using credentials from your vodafone account. Once again, I don't see a reason they'd do that, but they're being dicks, so expect the unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

do i have to install the minor ota update that came out a while back first, or just the ics
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rob.ob

M cebee wrote: »
    do i have to install the minor ota update that came out a while back first, or just the ics
    thanks

I don't know how Vodafone worked it, but as far as I remember the firmware upgrade B893 which was released a while back is required. I think it's main purpose was to allow ICS. Only phones with B893 would be able to receive the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I hope it fixes the off focusing the camera can do at time. Seems to find the focus then adjust slightly off focus sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SaiyanX

An OTA update is now available for this phone, it is B895, and it adds in a backup tool.
    I read on Modaco that this is the last update before ICS.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/357289-b895-ota-available/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SaiyanX

B936 is available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

SaiyanX wrote: »
    An OTA update is now available for this phone, it is B895, and it adds in a backup tool.
    I read on Modaco that this is the last update before ICS.
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/357289-b895-ota-available/

When you update to B895 an update for ics then appears as an ota update but requires a wifi connection to download

SaiyanX wrote: »
    B936 is available now.

Vodafone.ie?....OTA?.....someone dump the update.apk file for us!

Put it on the web to DL....i'll even up it for yáll to my Rapidshare account :)

Vodafone.ie?....OTA?.....someone dump the update.apk file for us!

Put it on the web to DL....i'll even up it for yáll to my Rapidshare account :)

I'll see what I can do for ya! Installing the update now so just awaiting that before I can access the sd card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Have just put ICS on via OTA update with no problems. Running well.

Its slowed mine down a lot. The GUI is quite laggy now. I'm thinking of rooting and going with a different rom. The UK is on a later official VF rom. Why did we get an earlier one?

• Advertisement

Can some please copy the update.app for us all?....put it up on the net, i'm sure the lads at Modaco would love to snoop around the update.

Can some please copy the update.app for us all?....put it up on the net, i'm sure the lads at Modaco would love to snoop around the update.

I would if I could find it! Anybody know where it might be located on the sd card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Anyone notice that photos from Facebook don't auto integrate with your google contacts? From googling around it seems to be an ICS thing. Any way to fix this without an app? If not what is the best app to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I would if I could find it! Anybody know where it might be located on the sd card?
    Assuming it doesn't auto-delete it should be in a folder called dload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I just bought my Huawei Ascend from Vodafone yesterday (finally, lol....I had a torturous time deciding which phone to get)......

I switched over from O2 to Vodafone, just on PayAsYouGo.....and all I have done so far is turn it on and input a few contacts etc.

I am reading so many different things regarding this update. Should I get it, or should I wait? There is a comment from a man on the Vodafone Ireland facebook page giving them hell for how bad it is, yet it seems some here are fine wit it?

So confusing :(

(sorry if this is the wrong area to ask this)

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Assuming it doesn't auto-delete it should be in a folder called dload.

I've checked mine - in the "internal" folder on the file manager there is a download folder but nothing in it, and I can't find it anywhere else. It's over 300megs so I suspect it self deletes

Edit - in my sdcard folder there is a file called Update.app - but it appears to be 609mb - whereas the ice cream sandwich update had said 300mb when it was downloading??

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I am reading so many different things regarding this update. Should I get it, or should I wait? There is a comment from a man on the Vodafone Ireland facebook page giving them hell for how bad it is, yet it seems some here are fine wit it?

So confusing :(

(sorry if this is the wrong area to ask this)

Cheers.

All I can say is that the phone I have is running smoothly without a hitch - but it's not just one upgrade - there are about 3 consecutive updates you perform one at a go, the last one being Ice Cream.

I've checked mine - in the "internal" folder on the file manager there is a download folder but nothing in it, and I can't find it anywhere else. It's over 300megs so I suspect it self deletes

Edit - in my sdcard folder there is a file called Update.app - but it appears to be 609mb - whereas the ice cream sandwich update had said 300mb when it was downloading??
    That might include the other updates as well. To be honest the B936 rom is the same worldwide with the exception of the VF crap so I don't know if there's any need to upload it since it's already available on Modaco. Might be handy for people like me on custom roms though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Adyx wrote: »
    That might include the other updates as well. To be honest the B936 rom is the same worldwide with the exception of the VF crap so I don't know if there's any need to upload it since it's already available on Modaco. Might be handy for people like me on custom roms though.

I loaded the 936 update app from the link you gave me yesterday on the other Huawei thread. Besides the Vodafone splash screen its no different to 926 or 927 roms on modaco,

jgbyr wrote: »
    I loaded the 936 update app from the link you gave me yesterday on the other Huawei thread. Besides the Vodafone splash screen its no different to 926 or 927 roms on modaco,

Really I would have assumed they don't have all the trials, vodafone panels you can't uninstall? What about the other stuff like facebook and twitter is that all included on that firmware?

I only loaded it as a base for infusion. Wiped it straight away & put infusion b5 back on.

The difference between them is fairly slight all right apart from some performance issues and the change in HSDPA. The B940 rom is pretty much the same.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Really I would have assumed they don't have all the trials, vodafone panels you can't uninstall? What about the other stuff like facebook and twitter is that all included on that firmware?
    It's the official Vodafone UK rom so anything they got OTA is included. I'd be extremely surprised if there was any difference between the VF UK update and the VF Ireland update. There's other de-branded (but still stock) B936 roms available on Modaco too I think.

I only loaded it as a base for infusion. Wiped it straight away & put infusion b5 back on.
    Is it working okay for you now? I have started getting the camera issues with Barcode Scanner now too.

No change in hsdpa on 936. It's still 9.
    I'm still getting the camera closure on scanner apps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Advertisement
Advertisement