Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tablets

Options
  • 20-09-2012 4:17pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭

"Nabi 2" kids
    Kid is getting this for Christmas - but i have a question on these tablets in general i have broadband that is NOT wireless - will this be a problem?
    Like will i be able to plug it into the broadband to download stuff?
    Generally i dont have a clue any advice would be great - dont particually want them surfing the net if thats what tablets do

Please reply if you have any clue

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You will need wireless for tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

slig17 wrote: »
    Generally i dont have a clue any advice would be great - dont particually want them surfing the net if thats what tablets do

No offence but that is one of the main purposes of a tablet.
    Anyway I checked a review of the Nabi 2 and the web broser installed comes with pre-set websites. A kid can only add additional websites buy using a password controlled option. So if you set that then your children won't be able to view sites that you haven't approved. Also many of the apps require a wi-fi connection to fully function so you may need to get a wi-fi enabled router anyway to get the best out of the educational aspects of the tablet. All in all it looks like pretty decent tablet. Quad-core processor and Android 4.0. Much better than other kid orientated tablets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Some tablets can have a USB lead with a connector on it for network cables. Might be anidea to check that out?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Flytouch tablets have an ethernet port but honestly it's not a viable option

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭slig17

mordeith wrote: »
    No offence but that is one of the main purposes of a tablet.
    Anyway I checked a review of the Nabi 2 and the web broser installed comes with pre-set websites. A kid can only add additional websites buy using a password controlled option. So if you set that then your children won't be able to view sites that you haven't approved. Also many of the apps require a wi-fi connection to fully function so you may need to get a wi-fi enabled router anyway to get the best out of the educational aspects of the tablet. All in all it looks like pretty decent tablet. Quad-core processor and Android 4.0. Much better than other kid orientated tablets.

Ah thanks a mill - glad to hear it looks good i guess ill have to go wireless - thinking of getting laptop end of next month so think ill just do that

Thanks anyway - any receomendations on laptops - genearal home use for internet, pics, games etc - thinkin €400:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

slig17 wrote: »

Thanks anyway - any receomendations on laptops - genearal home use for internet, pics, games etc - thinkin €400:rolleyes:

Depends on the level of gaming. Any newer games generally need a pretty decent GPU and there's not chance of getting one at the €400 mark. Have a look at the laptops forum for ideas. There's plenty of threads there with people looking for recommendations at various budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alex3

hi. I was thinking of getting a tablet for my kids for christmas. Smyths have 3 i was looking at the nabi 2, the meep, and the kurio. does anyone know which is best. thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some tablets can have a USB lead with a connector on it for network cables. Might be anidea to check that out?
    10:1 it gets broken in the first week.

You can pick up a wireless router for a couple of quid
    and configure it to use www.opendns.com - use the windows app to pick which sites can be seen.
    set it's DNS to

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've a wireless router I was about to chuck for recycling. Maybe one of the more tech people here will confirm if it's suitable?

Only thing is that I don't have a plug for it but you could pick one up in any electrical shop I'm sure..

• Advertisement
Advertisement