Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lte / 5G interference

Options
  • 19-10-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Sorry to start another new thread on this, but scanning through previous posts on the subject, they're a year or more old at this stage.

I'm assuming that the interference I'm getting is lte or 5G related. It's not there all the time, sometimes it's just a small bit of pixelation, but when it's bad it completely wipes out the signals totally. Clermont Carn an Divis both, sig strength drops from 95% to 45, sig quality drops from 90% to zero.

Not sure whither recent upgrade to 4G mast, or 5G upgrade is the cause so planning on adding a 700 Mhz low pass filter. any recommendations on brands/type or are they 'much of a muchness'

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

4G interference turned out to be mostly a myth. 5G will be as well. Doubt if that is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MACHEAD wrote: »
    I'm assuming that the interference I'm getting is lte or 5G related

Bit of a leap.

Very unlikely 3600Mhz 5G is doing anything to your TV signal. If B20 4G was wayyyy out of range it could be an issue but has been deployed for several years now so not a new phenomenon.

That said a neighbour with a chinese special booster could cause heartache. Good luck solving that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Not sure whither recent upgrade to 4G mast, or 5G upgrade is the cause so planning on adding a 700 Mhz low pass filter. any recommendations on brands/type or are they 'much of a muchness'

No 5G in the 700 MHz band yet, maybe late next year.

A but here, Comreg has issued temporary rolling 3 month 4G licences for the 700 MHz band as measure to increase mobile spectrum availability during the Covid emergency.

IIRC the hi-power mast downlink is in the upper part of the band and so should be well away from the TV frequencies but may still cause issues with amplifiers and older in-band aerials.

No harm testing a 5G/700 MHz filter, they should be cheap enough. Can't recommend any as I haven't looked at this area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Thanks Cush. I've only just recently got Clermont Carn back as it was was virtually filtered out by the old grouped A/CD diplexer. Was tempted to opt for a group E aerial, but my installer advised not necessary as the signal is strong enough here. So still using the old grouped aerial for CC.

There was only very minimal interference when he was here, and only trace signal showed up on the spectrum analyser at frequencies above Ch 48.

I've ordered a Labgear filter from CPC (we have an account at work), it should be here tomorrow. Will report back with results.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Meant to report back on this before now, but life kinda got in the way!

As earlier alluded to, it turned out not to be mobile data interference after all.
    The filter made no difference at all, in fact a few days after I fitted it, things changed again. The kitchen TV was getting a pretty good clear signal from Clermont Carn, with only rare break-up, but nothing from Divis. Every channel came up as No Signal. The TV in the living room had no signal for all channels from both transmitters. Strangely though, the guide was getting full epg data.

I began to think cabling issue ? Thought it couldn't be a problem with the distribution amp as it was was only new a couple of years ago. Tested all the cables, no issue there. So decided to bypass the dist. amp, and feed aerial directly to TV, and all was working perfectly on both sets.

The offending amp is an SLX, am now using a Labgear one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement