Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G9 discount to €243

Options
  • 11-10-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I'm hooked on Moto G series phones - good balance of technology, no bloatware and a price I can live with. Tend to buy every second generation.

So - went for a Moto G9 Plus today. Price fairly standard all over, apart from that crowd in Limerick I don't trust.
    €269.99 in Amazon spain, France, Germany, plus maybe €8 postage.
    (the .de one has an extra goodie - a car charger. Their free BT headphones deal is over)

£259.99 in Amazon UK - free delivery obviously.

And then I happened to spot it's the same price direct from Lenovo (Digital River) in Ireland - €269.99 incl delivery. But if you put your email address in their "keep in touch" box, by next morning you should have an introductory "Welcome" 10% coupon in your inbox. I found I had to use a secondary address to get a response. I must have used my normal address with them before!

So I just ordered at €242.99 using PayPal - happy days! While they say it's in stock they are not promising delivery for 1 to 2 weeks.

Comments

I've ordered from these guys two or three times.

Always got the stuff, always a great price, always- always, always!- took weeks longer than expected

Something to keep in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I'm hooked on Moto G series phones - good balance of technology, no bloatware and a price I can live with. Tend to buy every second generation.

So - went for a Moto G9 Plus today. Price fairly standard all over, apart from that crowd in Limerick I don't trust.
    (the .de one has an extra goodie - a car charger. Their free BT headphones deal is over)

And then I happened to spot it's the same price direct from Lenovo (Digital River) in Ireland - €269.99 incl delivery. But if you put your email address in their "keep in touch" box, by next morning you should have an introductory "Welcome" 10% coupon in your inbox. I found I had to use a secondary address to get a response. I must have used my normal address with them before!

So I just ordered at €242.99 using PayPal - happy days! While they say it's in stock they are not promising delivery for 1 to 2 weeks.

Im not being lazy as Ive googled digital river and lenovo ireland an dont think I'm at the right spot..do you have a link for their site?

ah sorry must be lenovo, I got a corporate site..apologies.

amacca wrote: »
    Im not being lazy as Ive googled digital river and lenovo ireland an dont think I'm at the right spot..do you have a link for their site?

ah sorry must be lenovo, I got a corporate site..apologies.

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/phones/moto/moto-g-series/g9-plus/p/PMIPMDC24M3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

No issues ordering directly from Lenovo, I ordered a monitor one bank holiday Monday evening and it arrived the next morning!

My general experience of Moto phones would be positive. They are not high end, but are good mid-range devices at an affordable price. They are usually well built and have good batteries, performance would be OK but the device may be a little heavy. The lack of bloatware is a major plus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They're great specs for that price.

I'm humming and hawing, have a Huawei P20 Pro, which is still working perfectly but Google updates are becoming less and less accessible..

And it has a 3.5mm jack.

Hmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

JDxtra wrote: »
    No issues ordering directly from Lenovo, I ordered a monitor one bank holiday Monday evening and it arrived the next morning!

My general experience of Moto phones would be positive. They are not high end, but are good mid-range devices at an affordable price. They are usually well built and have good batteries, performance would be OK but the device may be a little heavy. The lack of bloatware is a major plus point.

I yeah, bloatware really annoys me. I got a Samsung Galaxy tablet mainly cos it had a quality "retina display" specifically to use it to edit photos dumped in via the OTG and then massaged a bit with SnapSeed. I tried to use the tablet for other stuff like reading a load of books I have in epub and kindle format, and even web browsing but it was slow slow compared to a Mac or the Moto G3/5/7/... and so much bloatware I could not remove or even disable, it seems.

The only negative I found with the Moto G series is 2 eventually died through the micro USB connector going flaky and not charging unless pressed in tightly, and one also eventually refused to pass or receive data on that connector. And My G7 now needs the USB-C connector inserted one way ONLY otherwise it only charges at ordinary rates, instead of the brilliant 80% in 20 minutes or so it should do. Must be some damage to one lead finger. Initially, as you'd expect, it didn't matter which way up the USB-C lead was. I now have all my USB-C leads marked with a Sharpie to show the correct orientation. Maybe I'm not being careful enough and letting phones fall off the bed with charging leads attached!

I do like the quirky "gesture" actions that seem to be unique to Moto. A quick chop chop motion to turn on the torch is a lifesaver when I've only got one hand free, the other full of groceries. And the double flick of the wrist to turn on the camera has got me a couple of shots I would otherwise have missed. Of course at my age I could find myself at A&E if I did that too violently!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Birneybau wrote: »

And it has a 3.5mm jack.

Hmm
    Yes! That's quite a plus for me. I have a selection of headphones (I really can't be doing with shoving bits of plastic down my earhole - what am I - 16? - listening to Radio Luxemburg at boarding school with the transistor under the pillow and the earpiece sneaking into the ear facing down?) - and they all have mini-jackplugs. In fact the old Koss ones have a full-sized jackplug, but that's for Rolling Stones and Cream evenings...:)

Up to now, I had to use an SD card to carry my music so I can immediately access anything - now I have 128GBytes built in so I should be able to get everything in internal memory without having to edit down.

Like the OP I've a fondness for these, they are enough phone for me at a good price and I like the 5000 mah battery models and pretty much stock android. Had wonky charge ports on both the g4 and g7 models that had to have a holiday to fonfix under warranty but both came back in decent turn around and didn't recur but worth noting this was a common issue imo as I've family and friends with the same problem on these phones.

G7 finally got an update to android 10 in the last month. G9 looks to be a decent update but not enough to tempt me to upgrade from a G7 in terms of what I use a phone for.

Also they are bricks in terms of weight with a 5000 battery, as someone who cycles with one in my back pocket when on the bike there is a noticeable difference between a G4 which I think was Moto G perfection in terms of screen size and weight and a G7 power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What company in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vanilla G8 is £140 on Amazon right now.

Torn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fudbhi wrote: »
    If you live in the country
    You will not get good phone coverage as motos are not good

Also cpu is bad
    So you will not get good photos you need snapdragon 700 series

You can get better phones for less

All of this is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

The only negative I found with the Moto G series is 2 eventually died through the micro USB connector going flaky and not charging unless pressed in tightly, and one also eventually refused to pass or receive data on that connector.

I have the same issue with with a Moto G phone, other than that it's a really good phone.

MAJJ wrote: »
    I have the same issue with with a Moto G phone, other than that it's a really good phone.

If it's in warranty get onto lenovo, had 2 with at that issue fixed with about a 10-14 day turn around. One as recently as May. Even if it's not in warranty hound them about it as it's a common fault with several models.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Had the g6 and bought the g8 a few weeks ago, kinda disgusted the g9 is so cheap now :pac:

Good phone for the price. Great battery life, I don't mind that they're heavy, makes me less inclined to drop them. No bloatware is a major plus

G7 is slippery as feck, I'm forever dropping it is the only thing

But this is tempting

Advertisement