Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

1454647484951»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I tried LG's chat (US site)...the first thing the agent said was the phone doesn't have a removable battery. :o :pac: I knew that - she was helpful and polite, so I'm not complaining there. The Irish spare parts place I mentioned earlier don't do phone parts, fair enough.

Haven't decided on a new battery yet. I guess I could continue as is until the phone keels over, or else get a battery, then if I got another two years out of the phone that'd be good going by any standard, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Some months ago I bought a Nexus 4 battery on eBay. The ad claimed it was genuine, and it certainly looked fine to me. A couple of months later, it was holding very little charge, and starting to make the back of the phone bulge. Not good!

I decided to buy a new battery. It should be safe enough to buy from Amazon, once the battery comes from Amazon and not from a marketplace seller. I still think that's a safe approach. After reading positive reviews on Amazon, I bought from a UK marketplace vendor named "ItsTek", who had a number of good reviews for this particular battery, and who responded to a buyer's query as to the batteries being genuine.

Anyway, I fitted the battery, and I think it's fine. The old battery weighed 30g, which I gather is a sign of a counterfeit one. The new one weighs 33g, which is a good sign. I'll know more in a few months time, but it's looking good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ordered at about 5pm yesterday, as per the link above. It shipped (cost a bit), and according to TNT's tracking, it's due for delivery today.

Any good installation guides out there? Slightly wary of some of the videos on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

Any good installation guides out there? Slightly wary of some of the videos on Youtube.

Are you getting a removal tool with the battery ? I didn't and used a tiny flathead and left some marks on the front case , be careful around the sim card area of the back case as it's relatively unsupported, I broke the thin plastic strip while doing mine. Other than that the YouTube guides are fine

Don't have a torx 5. This crowd seem to have them.

I've damaged one of the screws on the battery connector, threads are worn. Not much hope of sorting it.

Got that screw out. New battery is in and works, or does it? Slightly concerned as the charging doesn't seem very stable, though I've only had it going a few minutes. The little electricity symbol is there, but sometimes if I move the phone it stops. Might this be because I've only one good screw in the battery connector? If so, is it possible get those tiny, tiny screws somewhere?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Tried a different USB cable...almost at 100% charge. :)

No issues with the new battery since I installed it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Got that screw out. New battery is in and works, or does it? Slightly concerned as the charging doesn't seem very stable, though I've only had it going a few minutes. The little electricity symbol is there, but sometimes if I move the phone it stops. Might this be because I've only one good screw in the battery connector? If so, is it possible get those tiny, tiny screws somewhere?

Slightly off topic but how did you get the stripped screw out? I'm always looking for good approaches to fix this :D

Heh, that was an interesting one. I did a search and one method suggested glue, another a rubber band. I can't recall which one I used, but it was a bit of a nuisance. I think there's a video or two about it.

I'm about to retire my 16g Nexus 4 if anyone is looking to pick one up for spares drop me a message
    In after picking up a 5x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Hi, folks. I have a Nexus 4 that reads on Google Play as "3 LGE Nexus 4". When I try to download the Ulster Bank ROI app, it says it isn't compatible. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Is it a known issue?

I'm about to retire my 16g Nexus 4 if anyone is looking to pick one up for spares drop me a message
    In after picking up a 5x

How is the 5x? I see they're offering a discount at the moment.
    Speedwell wrote: »
    Hi, folks. I have a Nexus 4 that reads on Google Play as "3 LGE Nexus 4". When I try to download the Ulster Bank ROI app, it says it isn't compatible. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Is it a known issue?

Installed fine for me as a test. I don't use their internet banking, so I'm afraid I can't help further, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Speedwell wrote: »

Banking apps have issue with root, make sure your device is not rooted

• Advertisement

How is the 5x? I see they're offering a discount at the moment.

Great so far, the battery life is much improved, finger print unlock is quicker and easier than my old pattern unlock, I'd prefer if the volume button were in the same positions as the 4.
    The new type c charging is v quick with the new charger and can be plugged in both ways but the down side is all my old chargers don't fit so I picked up a pair of adapters

I paid 400 for the 32 gig I'll never fill it but it should help it be future proof

Hmm, have had 2 restarts in the last few days. I've not seen them happening, but know from the unlock screen and PIN request that the phone appears to have restarted itself.

Could this be the replacement battery experiencing hiccups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

That's a coincidence, mine shut itself off twice in the last few days as well, maybe it's a recently updated app that's causing the trouble?

I had similar symptoms after replacing mine

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

Hmm, have had 2 restarts in the last few days. I've not seen them happening, but know from the unlock screen and PIN request that the phone appears to have restarted itself.

Could this be the replacement battery experiencing hiccups?

What percentage was the battery showing? Mine has had shut downs the odd time. A few times I noticed that the battery was about 20-30%, would shut down and when restarted would show 5-6%. I feel its the battery power mis reading. Usually a full power down and charge sorts it for me.

It restarted today at lunch, in my front pocket. It was at about 88%. It also restarted this evening whilst I had it on charge, similar percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

going to sell my nexus 4, what sort of money should i look for?
    adverts or donedeal?

it will come with a wireless charging pad, hdmi cable/slimport, few covers and original box cables and charger.

all working perfectly.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,
    I cleverly dropped my nexus 4 this morning, and now have an odd issue with the touch screen.

Both my Sim unlock code and my Screen unlock code contain a number from all numeric lines on the screen.

When I restart, I can enter the SIM unlock code correctly - including one from the 1-3 line.

But, when I get to the Screen unlock code, I can't enter a number from the 1-3 line. Nor can I click on the back button.

Do I need a new screen, or is there any thing that I can try?

tl/dr
    SIM unlock - can touch all 10 digits on screen
    Screen unlock - can't touch digits 1-3
    ???

Any help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Speedsie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I cleverly dropped my nexus 4 this morning, and now have an odd issue with the touch screen.

Both my Sim unlock code and my Screen unlock code contain a number from all numeric lines on the screen.

When I restart, I can enter the SIM unlock code correctly - including one from the 1-3 line.

But, when I get to the Screen unlock code, I can't enter a number from the 1-3 line. Nor can I click on the back button.

tl/dr
    ???

Any help!!!

My back of my Nexus 4 cracked about 6 weeks ago - I think because of the heat on the rear of the phone as i dont remember dropping it. There is now a crack accross the back of the phone and ever since a section of screen is not working
    Annoying thing is that its near the top of the screen and I need to turn the phone to landscape to select some things and menus etc.
    I think the screen/digitizer is goosed and at this stage I am looking at replacing the phone rather than repair it as I will have the phone 3 years next month and not sure its worth the effort of repair etc

Looking at Nexus 5X or maybe a OnePlus 3

Speedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

tl/dr
    ???

Any help!!!

If it's a case of trying to get into your phone, perhaps try calling yourself from another phone. You may be able to get into settings gs while on the call.
    If rooted, you can alter sone code to all lock screen rotation, which will get you into your phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Actually I'd forgotten I've Cerberus installed, should be able to disable screen lock there.

Planning on a new phone in the coming weeks anyway, so just need it for a week while longer.

Tried calling myself, but couldn't open that way, though could of course answer the call.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

My back of my Nexus 4 cracked about 6 weeks ago - I think because of the heat on the rear of the phone as i dont remember dropping it. There is now a crack accross the back of the phone and ever since a section of screen is not working
    Annoying thing is that its near the top of the screen and I need to turn the phone to landscape to select some things and menus etc.
    I think the screen/digitizer is goosed and at this stage I am looking at replacing the phone rather than repair it as I will have the phone 3 years next month and not sure its worth the effort of repair etc

Looking at Nexus 5X or maybe a OnePlus 3

Got op3, last week before price change with sterling. A week with it and v happy. Oxygen os is surprisingly good. Quite close to android orginal. Feels like a custom rom(which it is) withiut bloat. Pleasantly surprised. Easy to root also. Was going to
    Have to say, felt a bit guilty as soon as I ordered it as my n4 was still doing what was asked of it for the most part. Will find d a use for it now.
    It's still good. Battery ain't the greatest.(, but lasts alot longer without a simple card) There is something happening at the very top of the screen- like a sliver line above the notification area. Could signal a problem further down the line.
    Will look to re purpose the n4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

My Nexus 4 to a dive off the table tonight , screen smashed and it no longer works, god has taken her to soon :(

I felt the need to post here as only ye, my brethren, could understand the pain I am going through .

jonski wrote:
    My Nexus 4 to a dive off the table tonight , screen smashed and it no longer works, god has taken her to soon

May it rest in pieces 😔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I hope someone can help me with this.
    It concerns my contacts in people app it is showing a friends detail over 1300 times.. I really don't know why or what caused this or how I can stop this multiple entries.. I have tried to delete my friend details from my phone, from Skype etc..
    Any suggestions what I can do..
    Will I have to delete this app from my phone and lose my other contacts detail.
    Oh I am also hopeless when it comes to anything to do with phones or gadgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    It concerns my contacts in people app it is showing a friends detail over 1300 times.. I really don't know why or what caused this or how I can stop this multiple entries.. I have tried to delete my friend details from my phone, from Skype etc..

Have you tried going into the settings in the app and setting to to display google contacts only?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Have you tried going into the settings in the app and setting to to display google contacts only?

Frosty Jim....Thank you so much..
    I did as you suggested and now the amount of contacts are correct instead of the 16000 contacts it was showing..
    I spent So many hours yesterday trying to delete my friend details..
    It is still there when I use my Microsoft email contact list.. but thankfully I can now use just google contact only..
    Can I ask what caused this??
    Thanks again Frosty Jim..

Frosty Jim....Thank you so much..
    I did as you suggested and now the amount of contacts are correct instead of the 16000 contacts it was showing..
    I spent So many hours yesterday trying to delete my friend details..
    It is still there when I use my Microsoft email contact list.. but thankfully I can now use just google contact only..
    Can I ask what caused this??
    Thanks again Frosty Jim..

You probably added a Microsoft account to your phone recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Are your contacts sync'd on your Google Account? If there are duplicates on the Google side (not Microsoft or anything else that could be showing there), you can merge these on the web version of the Contacts app. It'll even prompt you automatically.

https://contacts.google.com/preview/all

Came home from a run to see a text waiting. Started to put in my PIN only for something to come up about the launcher. Then the phone restarted itself. Tried the same again, three times. Swiped the text away, told it to go with Google Now. Seems OK, but the launcher was a bit funny the other day too, iirc.

Came home from a run to see a text waiting. Started to put in my PIN only for something to come up about the launcher. Then the phone restarted itself. Tried the same again, three times. Swiped the text away, told it to go with Google Now. Seems OK, but the launcher was a bit funny the other day too, iirc.
    Try a different launcher to see if the issue goes away. If it does then reinstall Google now launcher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement