Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spend money on Snagging or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Hi, Could you please share the contact. Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Be careful who you hire. The quality varies a lot. Make sure they check your attic. Make sure they check your internet cables. Also, look for draughts. See if they can correlate your BER to the build. Someone who knows BER and DEAP would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hire cheap regret later

painter here

ask any decorator you know etc to come in and give u a list for each room

( sticky pad n paper)

snagging isn’t a science it’s basic common sense

as long as you’ve time and correct tools you’ll get through it

if not get only someone recommended from a friend/ relative

get the list on paper

room 1

room 2 etc

work methodically

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

Similar position in a new build.

It's not that I don't want to pay the snagging fee,

Iv been a carpenter for 20 years ,

Have been told I'm hyper critical ,

And feel I have the know how to snag efficiently.

Only thing holding me back is ...would it look better coming from a report from an engineering company to the builder.

ie.he will be more inclined to fix etc..

Are there legal requirements for snagging?Our development agents has sent an email saying the builder has advised snagging can be done after closing.

Can we or our bank insist that snagging be done prior to closing or are we at the builders mercy?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No legal requirement. You can do it whenever. I suppose if the developer wanted to be really awkward about it they could refuse the snagger access.

Usually it's done before closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

You'd be mad to close before snagging is done, if any issues are found it would be a nightmare trying to get builders to come back and fix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Any builder who hands over a house without a snag list is off his rocker. He'll end up being held responsible for any dings and marks to walls, flooring, etc once the client moves in.

The sequence should be:

get snag list - sort items highlighted on snag list - get confirmation from snag list issuer that all is in order - close sale - move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The only hold you have on the developer is not closing. You have no other way of applying pressure to him. Anyone who says otherwise has an ulterior motive.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

At the very least you should do 1 round of snagging pre-closing, and identify if there are any big issues to be fixed. If there's anything big you can wait until this is addressed before closing. Smaller things you could close on and get them to fix afterward.

To put some perspective on it, on any given house there will be a LOT of snags. Even if builders take care there will still be loads. You'll get a document from your snagger with lots and lots of pages, if a snagger comes back to you saying everything is mostly fine, there's just a few little things then I would be concerned at their thoroughness.

You are not going to get every issue fixed, some of it is going to come down to your opinion vs theirs. You need to pick the issues that really matter to you and go after them.

• Advertisement

My "shockingly" long list had such things as broken windows, pipes missing, drain 1 meter away from tap, manholes concreted over in path, broken floorboards.

A scam artist would have been embarrassed with what they handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Yes, thanks, I definitely intend to snag before closing.

Good advice on the chasing which to chase. I would probably have been gung ho about the entire list.

The house is phase 1, so the builders will be onside for a period afterwards.

My builders were on site. So hard to get them back even when I hadn't closed. I gave up after I had the major items done. I just fixed it myself. Just remembered another one I had to get the floors reskimmed as the levels were off. Cold water tank was plumbed wrong.

That house was built when the quality was at its worst in the Celtic Tiger. But location location location etc. I was finding problems years afterwards.

I think the quality is better these days. But I would be checking electrics, pluming, heating, even the fall in the drains. Check the roof for leaks in heavy rain. The more second opinions and checks the better.

In Germany the builder pays a bond or something that they don't get back until a reasonable time after the person moves in so that issues that arise after can be fixed. In Ireland you make the biggest purchase of your life and your kettle has more consumer protection and warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ClarmerFaye

I bought a new build earlier in the year and it will be ready to snag in the next month. I am happy to spend the money but I just have no idea what company to hire or what is even out there. Does anyone know what qualifications/certifications to look out for or have any recommendations for a snagging company?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There is no qualification for a snagged. A good Sanger can be a painter, plumber, carpenter, engineer or surveyor.

Remember snagging is checking for cosmetic issues or common problems or obvious defects.

It’s not a building regulation check, it’s not a structural check etc

Someone with a keen eye for detail along with some relevant experience in the building trade/codes etc

Advertisement