Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Freeview in Dublin mountains since September, anybody still got it?

Options
  • 07-11-2019 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I had UK Freeview in the Dublin Mountains (Three Rock) until about September this year (most likely the frequency changes, but not ruling out the aerial being knocked out of alignment). I'm just wondering if anybody else lost it at this time and has not been able to get it working again? No joy with retuning, the Freeview stations seem to have just disappeared.

What I had was a small aerial pointing up at Three Rock for Saorview and a high gain Group B vertically-polarised aerial pointing north for Freeview. These two signals were fed into a diplexer (input 1:21-37, input 2:40-68) and the output to a few TVs. I was only getting Freeview Light (BBCA and BBCB MUXes).

Unfortunately I didn't write down the frequencies I was getting the stations on so I cannot be sure which transmitter I was picking up, looks most likely to be Camlough or perhaps Kilkeel/Newcastle/Leitrim.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I had UK Freeview in the Dublin Mountains (Three Rock) until about September this year (most likely the frequency changes, but not ruling out the aerial being knocked out of alignment). I'm just wondering if anybody else lost it at this time and has not been able to get it working again? No joy with retuning, the Freeview stations seem to have just disappeared.

What I had was a small aerial pointing up at Three Rock for Saorview and a high gain Group B vertically-polarised aerial pointing north for Freeview. These two signals were fed into a diplexer (input 1:21-37, input 2:40-68) and the output to a few TVs. I was only getting Freeview Light (BBCA and BBCB MUXes).

Unfortunately I didn't write down the frequencies I was getting the stations on so I cannot be sure which transmitter I was picking up, looks most likely to be Camlough or perhaps Kilkeel/Newcastle/Leitrim.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Where abouts in Dublin are you based ? I know the below website covers this - I was half thinking of doing the same (hoping fire tv recast launches in UK / Ireland )

https://www.freetv.ie/how-to-combine-saorview-and-freeview-on-the-same-digital-receiver/

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

... What I had was a small aerial pointing up at Three Rock for Saorview and a high gain Group B vertically-polarised aerial pointing north for Freeview. These two signals were fed into a diplexer (input 1:21-37, input 2:40-68) and the output to a few TVs. I was only getting Freeview Light (BBCA and BBCB MUXes).

That would be for Kilkeel, which now uses the same channels as Camlough, & has RTE's far more powerful Clermont Carn on adjacent channels for 2 muxes. So quite a bit to contend with there ...

That would be for Kilkeel, which now uses the same channels as Camlough, & has RTE's far more powerful Clermont Carn on adjacent channels for 2 muxes. So quite a bit to contend with there ...

For Dublin - pointing at welsh transmitters surely is better than NI transmitters?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    For Dublin - pointing at welsh transmitters surely is better than NI transmitters?

I tried Wales when I set this up and could not get a strong enough signal, pointing north was quite reliable though, until this issue cropped up!

Ah that would also explain why I seem to get Saorview very well even with the aerial to Three Rock disconnected, it must be coming in over the high gain from Clermont Carn.

So am I wasting my time trying to get this sorted do you think? Maybe give Wales one more go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Where abouts in Dublin are you based ? I know the below website covers this - I was half thinking of doing the same (hoping fire tv recast launches in UK / Ireland )

https://www.freetv.ie/how-to-combine-saorview-and-freeview-on-the-same-digital-receiver/

Detail on linked page is somewhat out of date as CC now broadcasting on C42 and C45 as well as C52 and C56. Page actually states CC is from C53 - C56 which IIRC were pre DSO frequencies over 7 years ago.

Detail on linked page is somewhat out of date as CC now broadcasting on C42 and C45 as well as C52 and C56. Page actually states CC is from C53 - C56 which IIRC were pre DSO frequencies over 7 years ago.

Do you know where the new frequencies are listed ?

Are you picking up freeview ?

I found this site great for transmitter info, but it isn’t showing those extra channels, maybe it just shows the primary channels they want people to use? https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Clermont_Carn

Can't directly point to site but new frequencies for CC are definitely C42 and C45. I pick up both Freeview (including RTE1/2 and TG4) and Saorview here in Moira, Co. Down. Before recent frequency change RTE from CC was coming through without any amplification on one of my TV sets but since the change the signal has reduced and requires masthead amplifier. In fact on my larger TV set even with amplification C45 and C56 from CC (Mux 1) have suffered occasional breakup. C42/52 are fine as long as amplifier is swithched on.

Saorview coverage checker shows the frequencies for all transmitters. Freeview's checker needs a postcode in the area served by the transmitter of interest.

... So am I wasting my time trying to get this sorted do you think? Maybe give Wales one more go.

If you're looking for a reliable free service, go with satellite. If you want to tinker, I suppose the Arfon transmitter would be the Welsh one to look at, or maybe just try Divis.

• Advertisement

If you're looking for a reliable free service, go with satellite.

I'm slowly coming around to that. My main concern is that there are two TVs with only a single coax wired to each. I think the TVs might have a satellite decoder built-in (I'll check).

Would I be able to MUX the aerial and satellite signal onto a single cable, then DEMUX them at each TV?

Also am I right in thinking the satellite would need an LNB per TV, or is this only for paid services? Which would mean two MUXes and two DEMUXed I guess.

Thanks for the info, I'll also try Afron for the craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm slowly coming around to that. My main concern is that there are two TVs with only a single coax wired to each. I think the TVs might have a satellite decoder built-in (I'll check).

Would I be able to MUX the aerial and satellite signal onto a single cable, then DEMUX them at each TV?

Also am I right in thinking the satellite would need an LNB per TV, or is this only for paid services? Which would mean two MUXes and two DEMUXed I guess.

Thanks for the info, I'll also try Afron for the craic :)

LNBs can have multiple outputs and are quite cheap ...... up to 8 I think.
    So you should have no problem getting sufficient outputs.
    Each tuner (TV) will need a separate Sat feed.
    Yes there are small device that can join aerial and sat feeds into one cable and separate them again at TV .... can even be got in a faceplate if that is what is desired.

Arfon now transmits 2 separate sets of muxes: a 'north beam' has chs. 29, 31, & 37, while the original 41, 44, & 47 are on the southern side, with the north beam having 4 times the power of the south.

I don't know exactly where each beam has its max. power directed, but it wouldn't be towards Dublin in either case, not that it ever stopped it being used in Dublin & Wicklow before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I tried Wales when I set this up and could not get a strong enough signal, pointing north was quite reliable though, until this issue cropped up!

Did you try Arfon? Group B vertically polarised
    Its beam is probably south of howth, you'd need a sea view though
    Works well in coastal Wicklow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arfon_transmitting_station

Just to update the thread and offer some hope to others.

I adjusted the aerial (high gain group B vertically polarised) to 6 degrees East of North, which is where I figured you’d need to point to pick up the Kilkeel transmitter from the house based on Google Maps. Retuned the TV and voila, the Northern Ireland stations all re-appeared!

According to the TV, channels 40 and 43 have very strong signal with no errors, while channel 46 is less strong and has some errors. All stations seem to be working though! Not quite sure why C46 isn’t as strong as the others? Any ideas?

Also makes me wonder if I should get a Group A aerial and try to pick up Divis, which would give all the commercial MUXes as well :-).

Just to update the thread and offer some hope to others.

I adjusted the aerial (high gain group B vertically polarised) to 6 degrees East of North, which is where I figured you’d need to point to pick up the Kilkeel transmitter from the house based on Google Maps. Retuned the TV and voila, the Northern Ireland stations all re-appeared!

According to the TV, channels 40 and 43 have very strong signal with no errors, while channel 46 is less strong and has some errors. All stations seem to be working though! Not quite sure why C46 isn’t as strong as the others? Any ideas?

Also makes me wonder if I should get a Group A aerial and try to pick up Divis, which would give all the commercial MUXes as well :-).

Are some of the Divis channels not on the same frequencies as transmitters in East of ROI and that's why Kilkeel is preferable in Meath/Leinster area?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

You will miss the Divis muxes on 29 and 33 - but still a lot more than Kilkeel
    21, 23, 24, 26 , 27,

kazoo106 wrote: »
    You will miss the Divis muxes on 29 and 33 - but still a lot more than Kilkeel
    21, 23, 24, 26 , 27,

Divis doesn't have muxes on 29 & 33: it shares ch. 30 with Three Rock, & 23 & 26 with Mt. Leinster.

So no gain at all on Kilkeel if you can't get those. (And ignoring the lower powered temporary out-of-group COM 7 & 8.) Might still be worth trying if Kilkeel proves unreliable.

Divis doesn't have muxes on 29 & 33: it shares ch. 30 with Three Rock, & 23 & 26 with Mt. Leinster.

So no gain at all on Kilkeel if you can't get those. (And ignoring the lower powered temporary out-of-group COM 7 & 8.) Might still be worth trying if Kilkeel proves unreliable.

Black Mountain (as close to Divis as makes no difference when some distance away) has NIMM at 33 since recent frequency change.

Black Mountain (as close to Divis as makes no difference when some distance away) has NIMM at 33 since recent frequency change.

It's COM 4, 5, & 6 we have in mind here; channels that would add to what the OP gets from Kilkeel + Saorview.

• Advertisement

... According to the TV, channels 40 and 43 have very strong signal with no errors, while channel 46 is less strong and has some errors. All stations seem to be working though! Not quite sure why C46 isn’t as strong as the others? Any ideas?

You won't really have a 'very strong' signal for any of them, given how far you are from the not-exactly-powerful Kilkeel.

You could try changes in aerial position: raising, lowering, horizontal movement, although any gain on ch. 46 could be at the expense of the others, & this kind of thing is awkward without a signal display you can view up at the aerial.

Advertisement