Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing COP Discussion

Options
  • 02-11-2019 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭

Where is best to discuss broken COP and how to fix?

I'll put it here and someone can move to more appropiate place afterwards.

COP is currently broken.
    Myself or necro did not want to reach out to get it fixed as it happen well into our game creation, and more than likely, the fix could have likely removed all the permissions from the site, leaving our half built game in full view.

So, we did what any normal people would do in times like this, built an identical site from backups and tried fixing it ourselves on that site.

Well, we done that and we got our game over with.

But now, we have more games on the way.

Does someone want to reach out to COP owner, max, to see about getting cop fixed?

I can supply full sql backup of the repaired site.

Only myself and Necro and skunk have known about this, but now you all know.

I am not going to reach out to max myself, as max does not know me from adam, maybe somebody who knows max and has played with him may feel more comfortable approaching him.

I'm always available to help in any way with the fix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

sKeith wrote: »
    Where is best to discuss broken COP and how to fix?

I'll put it here and someone can move to more appropiate place afterwards.

COP is currently broken.
    Myself or necro did not want to reach out to get it fixed as it happen well into our game creation, and more than likely, the fix could have likely removed all the permissions from the site, leaving our half built game in full view.

So, we did what any normal people would do in times like this, built an identical site from backups and tried fixing it ourselves on that site.

Well, we done that and we got our game over with.

But now, we have more games on the way.

Does someone want to reach out to COP owner, max, to see about getting cop fixed?

I can supply full sql backup of the repaired site.

Only myself and Necro and skunk have known about this, but now you all know.

I am not going to reach out to max myself, as max does not know me from adam, maybe somebody who knows max and has played with him may feel more comfortable approaching him.

I'm always available to help in any way with the fix.

I've no knowledge of anything above however if there is a few euros involved in a fix, let me know, I'd be happy to donate. Fair play with the duplicate site fix, great work

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Discussion moved to dedicated thread.

Non Mod:

sKeith, would you be amenable to us using your site instead of COP? I dont want to put pressure on you or take advantage, but it might be better to have someone active in the community hosting the backrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

duffman13 wrote: »
    I've no knowledge of anything above however if there is a few euros involved in a fix, let me know, I'd be happy to donate. Fair play with the duplicate site fix, great work

Snap. I was half thinking of setting one up as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll probably have more thoughts on this when I'm actually sober but for now imo it would be better to have a backroom admin who is active within the community.

Whether that's sKeith or nay is up to him obviously.

No issues here also re: chucking a few quid towards upkeep etc of the site.

Max has served us admirably tbf to him, but if things go wrong we tend to look at each other awkwardly and wait till someone volunteers to ask him :pac:

Also gonna say it, sKeiths site ran and purred like a kitten for the South Park game which made game running even easier:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Discussion moved to dedicated thread.

Non Mod:

sKeith, would you be amenable to us using your site instead of COP? I dont want to put pressure on you or take advantage, but it might be better to have someone active in the community hosting the backrooms.

Yes, that options is open.
    There will be one account sKeithAdmin that you will be unable to de-admin, but you can check when that account has been last logged in with. (I don't use it, but its part and parcel of being owner.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Is it expensive to run? Would also be open to chipping in with costs.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Is it expensive to run? Would also be open to chipping in with costs.

It costs me nothing to run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I don't have any contact details for Max and he's not been active on Boards for 9 months so I don't expect a PM to reach him.

I think if we do depart from CoP over to D&D permanently then somebody with means to contact Max should at least inform him and give him our thanks for the help over the years. I'm pretty sure someone has an email for him, but I can't remember who. But I know the last time we had CoP issues he was contacted for resolution. Or maybe that was via PM before he became inactive??

The mols incident of ‘17.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Didn't like to name names :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That was resolved by Jayop iirc.

I think Baggly contacted him via boards more recently if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

sKeith wrote: »
    The mols incident of ‘17.

I'll never forgive myself. The shame. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'll never forgive myself. The shame. :o

Oh this requires explanation :D

I believe it was the Star Trek game I ran with Baggly and Uriel away back ages ago. When the game was finished Baggly asked me to return everyone's permissions to 'user'. So I did. Everyone. Including myself. Meaning there were no longer any Mod's or Admin's on the forum to make any BOH changes. I basically locked everyone except Max out of the back of COP. We had to contact Max directly to ask him to re-mod someone.

And I've never dealt with permissions for a game ever since.
    The End.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I believe it was the Star Trek game I ran with Baggly and Uriel away back ages ago. When the game was finished Baggly asked me to return everyone's permissions to 'user'. So I did. Everyone. Including myself. Meaning there were no longer any Mod's or Admin's on the forum to make any BOH changes. I basically locked everyone except Max out of the back of COP. We had to contact Max directly to ask him to re-mod someone.

And I've never dealt with permissions for a game ever since.
    The End.

But you'd be the most careful of us all due to this!

Mollyb60 wrote:

Whoa whoa I'm going to go back through our mod chat for the exact wording of what you were asked to do :D

I'll pm max but it looks unlikely that will work. I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime if sKeith is happy to, we will move to the cop WW backup site on his server.

Baggly wrote:
    Whoa whoa I'm going to go back through our mod chat for the exact wording of what you were asked to do

Ok in fairness that's what I said. Derp.

Right so whilst we wait for resolution then Silent Hill will take place on the backup site assuming sKeith is ok with it.

Just getting my ducks in a row before launching into room creation in earnest this eve :D

Necro wrote: »
    Right so whilst we wait for resolution then Silent Hill will take place on the backup site assuming sKeith is ok with it.

Just getting my ducks in a row before launching into room creation in earnest this eve :D
    Go on, boot me out then.....

• Advertisement

Whoa whoa I'm going to go back through our mod chat for the exact wording of what you were asked to do :D
    Ok in fairness that's what I said. Derp.

Oh I'm not blaming you for my mistake in any way! I was just stupid and selected everyone to change the permission for, I think you had meant, change everyone EXCEPT us. Oh the panic. :o

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Oh I'm not blaming you for my mistake in any way! I was just stupid and selected everyone to change the permission for, I think you had meant, change everyone EXCEPT us. Oh the panic.

In retrospect I could have been more specific

Advertisement