Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduate Programme

• 07-10-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anyone able to give me information in regards to graduate programmes?

Which of the big 4 would a person most likely have an enjoyable time with the best support.

Someone told me Deloitte aren't the best and EY organize great social nights out.
    I know this question is very broad but I'm really helpless.

Are there any horror stories regarding a particular company and any success stories.

Really it would be great to hear from people in graduate contracts and get to know what it's like.

Best company in regards graduate programmes 15 votes

Deloitte
    86% 13 votes
    KPMG
    6% 1 vote
    PWC
    6% 1 vote
    EY
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Which of the big 4 would a person most likely have an enjoyable time with the best support.

Someone told me Deloitte aren't the best and EY organize great social nights out.

Are there any horror stories regarding a particular company and any success stories.

Really it would be great to hear from people in graduate contracts and get to know what it's like.

There is very little difference between the big four when it comes to the trainee experience and you are definitely not there for the social life. You are working full-time plus overtime, lectures in the evening and the weekend, plus study....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

I've heard some pretty bad things about KPMG.

I know some people in EY and they say it's great.

Don't know about the other two.

JackTC wrote: »
    I've heard some pretty bad things about KPMG.

I know some people in EY and they say it's great.

Don't know about the other two.

There are good and bad stories about all of the big four. It depends on the graduate, their attitude and expectations, the department you get assigned to, the clients you work on and the people you meet.

For the most part the trainee experience is about the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You could consider the likes of Mazars, Baker Tilly, BDO or Grant Thornton either. Smaller firms but still in the top 20.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You could consider the likes of Mazars, Baker Tilly, BDO or Grant Thornton either. Smaller firms but still in the top 20.

Why play in the second division, if you can play in the first???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭ggmad

Jim2007 wrote: »

Or play in the premier league and train through industry...

Might suit someone better to work in one of the slightly smaller firms.

Could be location for example, Grant Thornton have an office in Kildare. That would mean someone could have lower rents or less of a commute.

Might suit someone better to work in one of the slightly smaller firms.

Could be location for example, Grant Thornton have an office in Kildare. That would mean someone could have lower rents or less of a commute.

Not much of a reason, when comes to career advancement... it's only for a couple of years after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

:rolleyes:

Not much of a reason, when comes to career advancement... it's only for a couple of years after all.

Jim honestly not everyone cares about career progression, and either way if your good you'll rise anyway. To say someone's career will be worse off because they train in GT over a top 4 firm is a bit silly I think. If your happy in position that's what matters at the end of the day.

Also you don't know what a person's circumstances are. Someone may have small kids or a sick relative and they may want/need to be home sooner and a commute just won't be viable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LeeBucke123

I’m actually from newbridge in Kildare. Was considering the grant thorton office in newbridge but someone advised me against it. The commute to Dublin doesn’t sound pleasing ahahah

I’m actually from newbridge in Kildare. Was considering the grant thorton office in newbridge but someone advised me against it. The commute to Dublin doesn’t sound pleasing ahahah

I know someone who worked in Deloitte, went to Baker Tilly and then GT. She was always complementary about them all but said she found the work life balance in GT the best. Now she was in her late 40s by the time she went to GT and lived in Kildare so staying late for overtime and commuting wasn't a priority for her at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I did 5 years doing my training at KPMG and then stayed for a while when I qualified, it was great from a training and social point of view. Still have friends there while I have moved elsewhere, who I still meet when we are attending confrences, etc.
    Heard very bad things about PWC and EY, different strokes for diffent folks.
    Take your time as it a big decision:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bannerlad123

Hi, I'm in my final year studying Accounting & Finance in UL. Unfortunately my grades are fairly poor atm and I'm trying hard to bring them up, I know working for any of the big 4 is out of the picture for me. What options should i look at next year? fairly worried at the minute about my QCA.

Hi, I'm in my final year studying Accounting & Finance in UL. Unfortunately my grades are fairly poor atm and I'm trying hard to bring them up, I know working for any of the big 4 is out of the picture for me. What options should i look at next year? fairly worried at the minute about my QCA.

Apply for smaller firms or industry. Get your foot in the door and work really hard. Focus on qualifying first and worry about the rest after that.

If your happy where you are once you do qualify stay where you train until you want a change. Nobody can tell you what's right for you or what will suit you best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I trained in PwC. All big 4 will be similar. If your interested in going into Industry and not Financial Services / Insurance and any of the big 4 definitely offered you their industry department that's who I'd chose. Not sure if any tell you until after you signed on though....

Jim honestly not everyone cares about career progression, and either way if your good you'll rise anyway. To say someone's career will be worse off because they train in GT over a top 4 firm is a bit silly I think. If your happy in position that's what matters at the end of the day.

Also you don't know what a person's circumstances are. Someone may have small kids or a sick relative and they may want/need to be home sooner and a commute just won't be viable.

+100 to this.

Not everyone wants to be a big Swiss success like you Jim! In fact, it’s a necessity that most people aren’t, so that you can be... ;)

Nobody can tell you what's right for you or what will suit you best.

Jim can. It involves Switzerland, I’m almost sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I think the thing that will make the most difference on a practical level is the firm's policy on overtime. Not on whether you do any - you'll do plenty - but on whether you can put it on your timesheet... that's how you'll fund long periods of study leave and they don't all let you accrue everything you work.

Socially, big client exposure, opportunities, type of people you'll work with? The same.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

I think the thing that will make the most difference on a practical level is the firm's policy on overtime. Not on whether you do any - you'll do plenty - but on whether you can put it on your timesheet... that's how you'll fund long periods of study leave and they don't all let you accrue everything you work.

Socially, big client exposure, opportunities, type of people you'll work with? The same.

That's something I've wondered about.

Is the 3 months for study leave a standard thing or is some of that time in lieu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Mixture. CAI require you to be given a set amount, most (all?) big 4 give more, then also give you the option to take more but you have to self fund through TOIL, negative TOIL (you owe them overtime), unpaid leave, annual leave.

First of all I did not say that someone's career would be worse because they did not train at a Big 4. I questioned the wisdom of passing up on an opportunity to do so when it is on offer. It's only for a couple of years and it definitely gives you better options afterwards.

And as for career progression, you may be thankful of the possibilities when you need to pay a mortgage, pay kids college fees and save for retirement. I know thinking about retirement is not high on the list of issues for a 21/22 year old, but the reality is that they will retire in a time the pension system will have to be reformed and every where this happened people found there was a savings gap to be bridged.

Don't make decisions now that may limit your options later for the sake of convenience, inertia or laziness. Grab every opportunity you are offered.

+100 to this.

Not everyone wants to be a big Swiss success like you Jim! In fact, it’s a necessity that most people aren’t, so that you can be... ;)

You make a lot of assumptions... I resigned a week or two after qualifying at a big four and have spent most of the last 30 years as a freelancer. The fact that I had big four experience on my resume, got me a lot of work back in the day.

Advertisement