Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards or teacher.

Options
  • 02-10-2019 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I have a BA degree from UCD and am currently enrolled in a masters programme to become a teacher. However, I’ve always liked the idea of being a Garda and still am.love the idea of every day being different.
    Just a few questions.
    Has anyone gone from teaching to being a guard and did they regret it?
    would having a masters make a big difference when applying for promotion? I know you spend 3 years as uniform then what would my chances be for promotion?
    I’d hate to regret it .
    Thanks a mil .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,439 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Get into the organisation first then worry about promotions. You'll have to wait a lot longer than 3 years too so youll have plenty of time to decide if you like it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User 1234

Sully15 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have a BA degree from UCD and am currently enrolled in a masters programme to become a teacher. However, I’ve always liked the idea of being a Garda and still am.love the idea of every day being different.
    Just a few questions.
    Has anyone gone from teaching to being a guard and did they regret it?
    would having a masters make a big difference when applying for promotion? I know you spend 3 years as uniform then what would my chances be for promotion?
    I’d hate to regret it .
    Thanks a mil .
    A lad in my station was a primary school teacher bit passed out of templemore a year and a half ago. He enjoys it. They are two totally different jobs, guards work 6 10hour shifts on ranging from earlys, midday starts to nights. Teachers can be home by 3 or 4pm every day. Your masters will help with promotion alright but you'll have to prove yourself and do exams for promotions. You will also go up the pay scale quicker if you have a masters or a degree, after you get out of your probation.

Advertisement