Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

combo box, irish+satelitte channels

Options
  • 26-08-2019 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Apologies if asked before.

I currently have aerial connected to tv.
    I also have an old sky box.

Was looking for a combo box that would save me flicking between inputs.
    can anyone recommend a decent box?
    would like to record the odd program, not much more than that.
    something like one of these maybe?
    https://www.freetv.ie/combo-receiver/

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

You dont want to buy a box that only has now and next info on epg,7 days gives the chance of setting up a future recording date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

can you recommend one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

swoofer wrote: »

Where does the satworld box get a 7 day epg for satellite channels from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

galtee boy wrote: »

Enigma2 powered boxes have 7 day EPG downloader software which reads the data from the satellite.

Enigma2 powered boxes have 7 day EPG downloader software which reads the data from the satellite.

Does that mean that this box automatically downloads the 7 day satellite epg, when its plugged in and connected to a dish ? I've always wanted a plug and play fta box with 7 day satellite epg, or am I misreading you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭chancer007

I bought the walker combo box today
    scanned in saorview & satellite channels, no problem
    not sure if I can put satellite channels on EPG?
    I believe combo box has a record option, I plan to test it next week

Does that mean that this box automatically downloads the 7 day satellite epg, when its plugged in and connected to a dish ? I've always wanted a plug and play fta box with 7 day satellite epg, or am I misreading you ?

Yes. Assuming you have a HDD connected for recordings, you can configure it to download and store the 7 day info automatically each day. If you don't have a HDD for recording, a basic USB key will suffice. The reason for using a HDD or USB is to prevent the EPG data filling up the internal memory and causing problems.

I would also suggest for people to stop powering off boxes at rear or unplugging them as e2 boxes can be setup to download epg and abm data if setup correctly in the early mormings.

• Advertisement

Yes. Assuming you have a HDD connected for recordings, you can configure it to download and store the 7 day info automatically each day. If you don't have a HDD for recording, a basic USB key will suffice. The reason for using a HDD or USB is to prevent the EPG data filling up the internal memory and causing problems.

Thanks for the info, but you have me back on worry mode again when you use the word " configure" !!! Does configure mean that this set top box doesn't have the 7 day epg preloaded when you take it out of the carton ? that you have to go into settings or menus and download the epg yourself, if that is the case, how difficult is it for a non computer expert ? Sorry for all the questions, but its like looking for the Holy Grail, trying to find a truly plug and play version of RJ these type boxes.

Don't be put off by the lingo. In most cases the default settings suit most people but it is easy to tweak them if you wish. As greasepalm mentioned above, most set it to download during the night. Once you set things initially you can more or less forget about them and they'll chug away quite happily in the background. People are terrified of the Linux box as a purely geeky thing. In reality if you can manage a smart phone or set up a new laptop to suit yourself, then a Linux box is no challenge. Remember too that there are many online to help if you ever get stuck. Once you see just how powerful, flexible and easy a Linux box is, you'll really ask why on earth anyone would be stupid enough to pay for lesser services.
    NewClareman has a detailed thread about his backup image which can be used to set up all the bells and whistles you could ever need and then some. This image is specific to one make of box but is indicative of what they are all capable of. Most importantly remember after the initial purchase it is all free. Series linking, watching your recordings or live anywhere in your home, Setting timers remotely, copying recordings for the kids in the car etc etc. The list is endless and all free.

Don't be put off by the lingo. In most cases the default settings suit most people but it is easy to tweak them if you wish. As greasepalm mentioned above, most set it to download during the night. Once you set things initially you can more or less forget about them and they'll chug away quite happily in the background. People are terrified of the Linux box as a purely geeky thing. In reality if you can manage a smart phone or set up a new laptop to suit yourself, then a Linux box is no challenge. Remember too that there are many online to help if you ever get stuck. Once you see just how powerful, flexible and easy a Linux box is, you'll really ask why on earth anyone would be stupid enough to pay for lesser services.
    NewClareman has a detailed thread about his backup image which can be used to set up all the bells and whistles you could ever need and then some. This image is specific to one make of box but is indicative of what they are all capable of. Most importantly remember after the initial purchase it is all free. Series linking, watching your recordings or live anywhere in your home, Setting timers remotely, copying recordings for the kids in the car etc etc. The list is endless and all free.

Thank you for the encouragement, it may just help me to make the leap soon.

Its a new world of viewing and when using an enigma2 receiver you will say wish i bought that sooner.Have a think of what tuners you may want twin sat or twin saorview dvb/c/t2 in a triple tuner model.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭fawlty towers

Lads, I had a similar thread on the sat forum.

A few questions I asked were:

On the link provided there is an option for factory image or enigma2. What option should I choose?

I only have wifi in the room where the box will be located. Will it pick up wifi out of the box

Is there much updating after initial setup?

In relation to channel lists does it come with a preinstalled one or do you have to set it up similaro a fta box.

My preference is for the openATV enigma2 image. If you want to use NewClaremans image it will be overwritten anyway. I'm not sure but don't think the Tiviar has WiFi. Wifi is not very good for this purpose anyway IMO. You could use a mains network extender plug which would give better results.
    NewClaremans image has several channel lists to suit most tastes and auto-updates them. Editing/creating your own is not too hard to do either. The only things you need to configure initially is your network settings and scan the Saorview channels as each are unique to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Tiviar does have wi fi and it depends on the type of usb you use. If you buy a cheapo one it wont be any good. I have tried quite a few and this is the best one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AFX847S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You should have a good read on the thread as that will all your questions answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

swoofer wrote: »
    Tiviar does have wi fi and it depends on the type of usb you use. If you buy a cheapo one it wont be any good. I have tried quite a few and this is the best one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AFX847S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You should have a good read on the thread as that will all your questions answered.

Hi Swoofer,

Are you confirming that this dongle allows you to stream channels on the Tiviar AP, on an ongoing basis, without hanging? (I’m asking because the various dongles Ive tried, including the one recommended by SatWorld, hangs when used for IPTV OR streaming content from the Tiviar AP, to other devices.)

On the link provided there is an option for factory image or enigma2. What option should I choose?
    You can choose the factory image, to save a few bob. However, you will then have to update the image twice, to get the most up to date version. (This is very straightforward, and we can help if you run into problems.)

I only have wifi in the room where the box will be located. Will it pick up wifi out of the box
    Yes and no. I’m sure that the supplier you choose can also supply a suitable dongle, that will work out of the box. However, this really only suitable for very light use, or setting up the box. Gerry Wicklows suggestion of a homeplug/network extender, would be my recommendation, as well. Failing that, you can get cheap WiFi extenders with an in-built LAN socket.
    None, it auto-updates EPG and channel lists.
    In relation to channel lists does it come with a preinstalled one or do you have to set it up similar to a fta box.
    You have a main channel list, see here, with the main Irish and U.K. terrestrial channels, out of the box. You can then select any combination of Freesat and Sky channel lists you want, just by ticking a box.*
    Any list you select is updated nightly, to pick up any changes made by Freesat/Sky.

If you have any further questions, just post them in the thread I linked to.

* You have a list of all the Freesat and Sky channel groups, for the UK region you select, and you tick those you don't want.
    Just remember, you will only be able to view the Free-to-Air channels in each group. Pay channels are not viewable, and are not shown in the EPG.

490442.jpg

You can choose the factory image, to save a few bob. However, you will then have to update the image twice, to get the most up to date version. (This is very straightforward, and we can help if you run into problems.)

Yes and no. I’m sure that the supplier you choose can also supply a suitable dongle, that will work out of the box. However, this really only suitable for very light use, or setting up the box. Gerry Wicklows suggestion of a homeplug/network extender, would be my recommendation, as well. Failing that, you can get cheap WiFi extenders with an in-built LAN socket.
    None, it auto-updates EPG and channel lists.
    In relation to channel lists does it come with a preinstalled one or do you have to set it up similar to a fta box.
    You have a main channel list, see here, with the main Irish and U.K. terrestrial channels, out of the box. You can then select any combination of Freesat and Sky channel lists you want, just by ticking a box.*
    Any list you select is updated nightly, to pick up any changes made by Freesat/Sky.

If you have any further questions, just post them in the thread I linked to.

* You have a list of all the Freesat and Sky channel groups, for the UK region you select, and you tick those you don't want.
    Just remember, you will only be able to view the Free-to-Air channels in each group. Pay channels are not viewable, and are not shown in the EPG.

490442.jpg

Thank you for all the info. So this is really a plug and play box out of the carton ? as in, out of the carton, it has Saorview and satellite all on one epg, with 7 day for both ? And finally , last question, if one opts for the factory image epg, does that mean you're tied to that epg type/style and cant change it ?

• Advertisement

Thank you for all the info. So this is really a plug and play box out of the carton ? as in, out of the carton, it has Saorview and satellite all on one epg, with 7 day for both ? And finally , last question, if one opts for the factory image epg, does that mean you're tied to that epg type/style and cant change it ?

You need to change to the latest image, then everything is pretty much plug and play. (You do need to have a HDD fitted, for the defaults to work.)
    All the details are in the links. You will then have to input your local terrestrial transmitter and your basic setup, is good to go. If you have a music or film library, a few more steps are required, but these are not difficult.

Yes it has a 7 day EPG for Saorview and Satellite. For satellite, you can choose any mix of FTA Freesat or Sky Channels, as indicated.

If you opt for the factory image, you can still change, details are in the thread in the satellite forum.

You need to change to the latest image, then everything is pretty much plug and play. (You do need to have a HDD fitted, for the defaults to work.)
    All the details are in the links. You will then have to input your local terrestrial transmitter and your basic setup, is good to go. If you have a music or film library, a few more steps are required, but these are not difficult.

Yes it has a 7 day EPG for Saorview and Satellite. For satellite, you can choose any mix of FTA Freesat or Sky Channels, as indicated.

If you opt for the factory image, you can still change, details are in the thread in the satellite forum.

Thanks again, great information for newbies to these type of boxes. It actually sounds better than a Freesat PVR, because it includes the Irish channels.

Thanks again, great information for newbies to these type of boxes. It actually sounds better than a Freesat PVR, because it includes the Irish channels.

Just to be clear, my answers are specifically for the Tiviar Alpha+, as THHB and I put a lot of effort into creating an image designed for Irish users. In this case, only, it has many advantages over a Freesat or generic combi box. These include:
    • Single EPG for all channels.
    • Wider choice of channels, than with Freesat.
    • +1 Channels
    • HD channels recorded without encryption
    • Live Channels and recordings can be streamed to tablets and Chromecast.

The same can be achieved with other enigma2/Linux boxes, but this requires a fair amount of setup and some technical skill.

Lads,

Thanks for all your help. Just trying to get up and running. Have new claremans image loaded but having trouble with saorview.
    Only have a few of the channels and ideas. Have only one sat cable coming in in case that makes a difference

Have you got your aerial plugged in and chosen your location on the tuner.

Ya, aerial plugged in alright. Have rte2 and a few more of the saorview but not rte1, vm3, rtej.

Where do I find the region setting

Should be a drop down menu to select correct region and transmitter.

Just an update got saorview running. The channel number on the scanning had changed recently so that side is ok now.

Just a few other questions:

On the epg is there any way of scrolling to the next page down 1 line at a time rather than jumping a full page.

How to I back up my settings when finished

MENU > SETUP > SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT > you have a choice to BACKUP SYSTEM SETTINGS or complete BACKUP IMAGE. I recommend doing both. It only takes a few moments and saves a lot of swearing later if you do mess up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I don’t know why nobody has mentioned this, but a Saorview Connect box would prob do the job perfectly. This would give you Saorview and Freesat, which is better than FTA Satellite from what I’ve read as you get 7 day EPG. You can also record if you add a USB stick. Will have Catch Up services on the box too. Believe it’s called PowerPoint box available in Powercity.

I’m currently researching this option myself. Also possibly FreeView HD with FreeSat will give similar channels. Decider will be the EPG + interface for me.

Advertisement