Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A strange event

• 19-01-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

The girlfriend and I were driving to Glendalough for a hike over Christmas, she was driving.
    We had just gone around the corner in Annamoe and as she straightened out after the corner there was a black Seat Ibiza straddling the white line coming towards us, once it was within 30 metres of us she veered into our lane.
    Both cars come to a complete stop on our side of the road with her car about 5 meters in front of us.
    The girlfriend starts angrily waving her hands at the Seat driver, who is sitting there staring at us. This possibly went on for about 10 seconds until I got out of the passenger seat and roared across "what the **** are you playing at"
    She mumbled something out her open window so I approached her.
    She was a dark curly haired, heavy set lady in her early 40s.
    As I neared she repeated, "my power steering stopped working".
    I leaned down and looked at her dash board, no warning lights on it, and said in a firm voice "get your car to the side of the road and ring your insurance company to come tow it, before you kill someone".
    She didn't reply and just sat there staring at me. That's when I noticed a phone in her hand, she saw me notice it too and she looked down at it and turned it over so I couldn't see what was on the screen.
    I asked, "are you ok?"
    No response.
    I repeated, "are you ok? You know you could have killed us?"
    Out of nowhere she shouted, " my power steering stopped working, don't touch me".

That was my cue to leave so I walked back to our car. I stood in the open door and stared at the lady as she drove past, who kept staring in at my girlfriend. It was only once she'd left that I heard my girlfriend shouting, "she's taking pictures of me".
    As I was walking back to the car the weird lady was taking pictures of my girlfriends car.

It was a very strange encounter and the girlfriend and I spent most of the hike racking our heads to figure out a motive behind her swerving in front of us. There was no smell of drink off her as that was my reason behind approaching her car.
    Neither one of us got her reg but it was a late 2000s model Ibiza.

Anyone here have any input?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Story needs Trent in it to liven it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Obviously she was on her phone, perhaps texting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The girlfriend and I were driving to Glendalough for a hike over Christmas, she was driving.
    We had just gone around the corner in Annamoe and as she straightened out after the corner there was a black Seat Ibiza straddling the white line coming towards us, once it was within 30 metres of us she veered into our lane.
    Both cars come to a complete stop on our side of the road with her car about 5 meters in front of us.
    The girlfriend starts angrily waving her hands at the Seat driver, who is sitting there staring at us. This possibly went on for about 10 seconds until I got out of the passenger seat and roared across "what the **** are you playing at"
    She mumbled something out her open window so I approached her.
    She was a dark curly haired, heavy set lady in her early 40s.
    As I neared she repeated, "my power steering stopped working".
    I leaned down and looked at her dash board, no warning lights on it, and said in a firm voice "get your car to the side of the road and ring your insurance company to come tow it, before you kill someone".
    She didn't reply and just sat there staring at me. That's when I noticed a phone in her hand, she saw me notice it too and she looked down at it and turned it over so I couldn't see what was on the screen.
    I asked, "are you ok?"
    No response.
    I repeated, "are you ok? You know you could have killed us?"
    Out of nowhere she shouted, " my power steering stopped working, don't touch me".

That was my cue to leave so I walked back to our car. I stood in the open door and stared at the lady as she drove past, who kept staring in at my girlfriend. It was only once she'd left that I heard my girlfriend shouting, "she's taking pictures of me".
    As I was walking back to the car the weird lady was taking pictures of my girlfriends car.

It was a very strange encounter and the girlfriend and I spent most of the hike racking our heads to figure out a motive behind her swerving in front of us. There was no smell of drink off her as that was my reason behind approaching her car.
    Neither one of us got her reg but it was a late 2000s model Ibiza.

Anyone here have any input?

Texting and driving probably

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Or trying to cause an accident and get you to accept liabilty so that she can make a claim.

Most likely on her phone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You're never supposed to approach another driver though in a confrontational manner, am I right? I know what she did was wrong and you wouldn't have approached her car if she didn't swerve at you, but that is roadrage, afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Aliens, definitely aliens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Are you related OP to Wildsurfer who told that riveting tale about nothing at all that happened on a beach?

She may have been texting OP and when she veered in front of your car the non reaction from her was shock. I'd say she closed up when you confronted her OP. Saying "don't touch me" sounds defensive, she knew well she was in the wrong. I would have gotten out and approached her as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When the power steering goes the car doesn't suddenly veer off to the side. The wheel just becomes harder to turn. She was definitely on her phone and when you came at her she reckoned you'd follow her or threaten her in some way so took photos as evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

When the power steering goes the car doesn't suddenly veer off to the side. The wheel just becomes harder to turn. She was definitely on her phone and when you came at her she reckoned you'd follow her or threaten her in some way so took photos as evidence.

Damnit! I thought this one could make it to the favourite unsolved mystery thread for a while before being figured out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Jessica Fletcher would be proud, all solved within 50 mins as well.... nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Don't worry bout it,
    You did the right thing checking to see what she was at... for all we know it could have been someone falling asleep at the wheel or having a heart attack... imagine if you'd just driven on.
    If she wants to take photos so what... if anything the time she was texting or whatever on the phone proves she was using it while driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I dunno, sounds like a classic case of steering nut failure due to radio interference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I dunno, sounds like a classic case of steering nut failure due to radio interference to me.

Are you saying there was a nutter driving who got distracted by the radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Op you had me at "Teddington Cuddlesworth". Didn't read the rest. Didn't see the need.

gramar wrote: »
    Are you saying there was a nutter driving who got distracted by the radio?

Waves, man. Radio waves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Don't worry bout it,
    You did the right thing checking to see what she was at... for all we know it could have been someone falling asleep at the wheel or having a heart attack... imagine if you'd just driven on.
    If she wants to take photos so what... if anything the time she was texting or whatever on the phone proves she was using it while driving.

The brother-in-law of a friend of mine was reported on the motorway for driving erratically. The Gardaí caught up with him and pulled him over. Turns out he had a fairly bad stroke, and is still in a nursing home years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Oppps
    I omitted a part of the story, must have happened while I was interrupted in work.
    Give me a few minutes and I'll be back to finish it once I'm free here. This bit is the weird bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Oppps
    I omitted a part of the story, must have happened while I was interrupted in work.
    Give me a few minutes and I'll be back to finish it once I'm free here. This bit is the weird bit.

It was a skeleton all along? Pllleeeasssee say it was a skeleton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

you'll never believe what happened next

• Advertisement

You wrote that whole novel and made us read it and you left out the weird bit?

And none of us even noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'm no Jessica Fletcher but..... she's shaggin yer missus OP.
    They wanted to bunk you off and claim the life insurance.
    Was it your missus who suggested the hiking trip by any chance?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

The area in question is a well known dogging spot OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Oppps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Probably on snapchat or the facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

This lady swerved in front of an innocent couple. What happened next will shock you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Panthro wrote: »
    I'm no Jessica Fletcher but..... she's shaggin yer missus OP.
    They wanted to bunk you off and claim the life insurance.
    Was it your missus who suggested the hiking trip by any chance?....

Jessica Fletcher is?

It's always worth reporting drivers like that, had to do it once before on the way from Galway to Cork, the guy in front was either drunk or starting to fall asleep at the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hey Teddington,
    When she screamed "my power steering stopped working, don't touch me" it wasnt directed towards you as such. Was more so for the video she was recording. You said yourself, she flipped the phone over when you noticed it. Video was still recording or should I say the audio was still recording at that point. Makes you sound like you're this big bad pri*k trying to reach in to grab her.

She wanted to sue you Teddy. But of course after she tried and failed to cause a crash. Then she took pictures of you and your girlfriend but i'd be willing to place a large wager of your reg too.

A dangerous woman. That's why a lot of people have dashcams these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Wasn't there a nutbar in the dublin or wicklow mountains swerving at cyclists or motorcyclists.
    Seat Ibiza approx 10years old?

Other than that - russian hackers I'd say.

http://wicklownews.net/2015/07/bikers-call-for-help-to-catch-wicklow-gap-biker-terrorist/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Wasn't there a nutbar in the dublin or wicklow mountains swerving at cyclists or motorcyclists.
    Seat Ibiza approx 10years old?

Other than that - russian hackers I'd say.

http://wicklownews.net/2015/07/bikers-call-for-help-to-catch-wicklow-gap-biker-terrorist/

So the same car has reportedly tried to ram countless cyclists and motorcyclists off their bikes yet not one of them noted the registration plate... Was this story first reported in The Liberal?

Advertisement