Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I agree, surely if they can get all the tech into a GU10, they could get it into a small candle shaped E14.

only thing is it would break your heart even more paying 60 yoyo's on an even smaller bulb!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Just picked up lightsrip plus in woddies. Was gonna get the extender too but the OH was with me!! Looking forward to getting my starter kit tomorrow.

Didn't know Woodies had the light strips, thought they just sold the white bulbs & dimmer kits

Didn't know Woodies had the light strips, thought they just sold the white bulbs & dimmer kits

Yep. €99 for the lightstrip plus bit over priced compared to Amazon but could just pick them up there.

Also had the the extenders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I was just checking out the Philips hue facebook page regarding the e14 size bulbs. Loads of people asking for them and the latest comments from Philips seem to hint at an announcement soon.

Philips said in response to someone looking for them this week "for now let's say stay tuned for more info 😉"

They need to expand to all types & sizes if they really want it to grow,

The only reason I didn't pull the trigger in the first year the system was available was the fact that the fittings were only E27 and it would have been a pain to convert all my fittings (adaptors didn't occur to me at the time)(plus I was renting at the time), so when the OH bought it for my birthday, I just bought some new fittings/adaptors and I was away!

My mother has since gifted me some fine table lamps and they are E27 fittings in them, but given now that they do both E27 & B22 is a massive step in the right direction to get more into Ireland as I'd say about 99.99% of light fittings here are B22 (probably similar number in the U.K.)

Apple have the white ambiance lights at €34.95 and the light strip at €79.95 which I still think is the best price around (Amazon works out at €85.52 for the strip).

I don't need another light strip, but I want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

I don't need another light strip, but I want one.

I know that feeling!

Starter pack arrived this morning.

ANy tips and tricks regarding setting up?

I have a dimmer switch in the front room controllering normal spots that doesn't work so was just going to use the Hue dimmer switch. Do I just wire it exactly like the dimmer switch I am replacing? Will it allow me to tell echo to lower lights in front room 50% etc

Thanks
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement

The Hue dimmer stitch is wireless

The Hue dimmer stitch is wireless

Sh*t so they won't work with just normal lights? Balls!! Should have done more research!

Is there anyway to control normal lights with hue setup without having to replace every light buld in the house (Very Expensive)?

BobbyT28

Hue App/dimmer switch/sensors will only operate hue bulbs, so it does indeed get expensive, though the cheapest white bulbs are only around €20 now.

I have about 26 GU10 spots around my house, I'd love to put Hue's into them, but at €60 a pop for the colours, and about €35 for the white/ambiance, it will get really expensive!!

thats its downfall, it's a bloody expensive system to install completely, 1 or 2 bulbs per room is manageable, but when you get to multi bulb set ups like a kitchen with spots, the cost can sky rocket. (I've about 17 hue lights in all costing about €750, it's a lot of cash for some lightbulbs that I can control with my phone!)

maybe if I get a bonus next year, I'll splash out on 10 GU10's for the kitchen!

Hue App/dimmer switch/sensors will only operate hue bulbs, so it does indeed get expensive, though the cheapest white bulbs are only around €20 now.

I have about 26 GU10 spots around my house, I'd love to put Hue's into them, but at €60 a pop for the colours, and about €35 for the white/ambiance, it will get really expensive!!

thats its downfall, it's a bloody expensive system to install completely, 1 or 2 bulbs per room is manageable, but when you get to multi bulb set ups like a kitchen with spots, the cost can sky rocket. (I've about 17 hue lights in all costing about €750, it's a lot of cash for some lightbulbs that I can control with my phone!)

Dam!! Bit pissed at myself now!

Yeah its really expensive. Was hoping it would work on dimmer.

I have 16 spots to change in Kitchen and Living room. 16 x €60!

Any cheaper alternatives even for just the spots in the ceiling that would work with echo? Probably nothing compares to hue though!

Any birthdays, Anniverserys or Xmas's coming up i'll be getting GU10's!!:D:D

I did see these yesterday, meaning the white/ambiance GU10's are coming, and will be roughly half the price of the coloured ones, for 10 spots in the kitchen, you'd forever regret not getting the coloured bulbs!

I did see these yesterday, meaning the white/ambiance GU10's are coming, and will be roughly half the price of the coloured ones, for 10 spots in the kitchen, you'd forever regret not getting the coloured bulbs!

I know I would. Will just have to buy some ever so often to build up collection.

Am I right in thinking that the Hue bulds last 15,000hrs or 15 years?

BobbyT28

• Advertisement

Thats about what they say alright, and given they are LED lights, should last the full 15 years or so!!

I'm U.K. bound this week so might pick up a few GU10's for the feck of it!! £49.99 works out about €57~, so maybe get 4 and do the dining room side of my kitchen first, then in a few weeks/months, but the 6 needed for the kitchen side!
    I'm itching now to get them!!

Anyone got any ideas as to what the motion sensor can be practically used for?

Thats about what they say alright, and given they are LED lights, should last the full 15 years or so!!

I'm U.K. bound this week so might pick up a few GU10's for the feck of it!! £49.99 works out about €57~, so maybe get 4 and do the dining room side of my kitchen first, then in a few weeks/months, but the 6 needed for the kitchen side!
    I'm itching now to get them!!

I know the feeling. I might bite the bullet myself and just get the 6 for the Livingroom and maybe get the other 6 for the kitchen in about 6 months.

Caillte wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas as to what the motion sensor can be practically used for?

I'd put one in the kitchen and set it to come on/off at night between the hours of 10pm & 7am (when the lights would normally be off) if it was triggered by someone coming for a midnight drink or snack.

beyond that, I couldn't find it useful anywhere else, as I have all my other rooms/lights on timers.

Does anyone know how much energy Hue Bulbs consume when in standby?

• Advertisement

Caillte wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much energy Hue Bulbs consume when in standby?

I found this after a little google search;

When the bulb is on and set to maximum brightness, it consumes about 0.08-0.09 Amps (about 5.4 Watts). In the off state (but still drawing some power so that it can communicate with the network), each bulb draws around 0.01 to 0.02 Amps (about 0.4 Watts). As expected, even when the LEDs are off power draw is not zero. The ZigBee network controller and other circuitry need to remain active in order to listen for communications from the Bridge.

so they do use a little even when off, but at .4 watts per bulb, I can live with it.

I cant understand buying the white ones? surely the appeal is the different colours, id really regret it if I didn't get a few extra quid together for the colour ones. maybe its just me!

I was thinking about my house last night, anyone have an extractor fan hooked up to the light switch in their bathroom for the shower etc? how do you leave that light on!

I was thinking about my house last night, anyone have an extractor fan hooked up to the light switch in their bathroom for the shower etc? how do you leave that light on!

The only rooms I don't have Hue lights are the bathrooms, as those lights will need to be turned on/off sporadically (and sometimes in a hurry), so for me, hue has no place in my poopy palace.

I have white hue lights as my centre lights in rooms, as well as the front porch, but all the lamps and bedside lockers have colour bulbs. the spots will all have to be colour, maybe with the exception of the 4 on my landing, where white alone would be fine.

The only rooms I don't have Hue lights are the bathrooms, as those lights will need to be turned on/off sporadically (and sometimes in a hurry), so for me, hue has no place in my poopy palace.

I have white hue lights as my centre lights in rooms, as well as the front porch, but all the lamps and bedside lockers have colour bulbs. the spots will all have to be colour, maybe with the exception of the 4 on my landing, where white alone would be fine.

Sensors in the bathroom for when you are in a hurry haha

The power of this thread in action, as that is a genuinely good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

These are handy for similar situations. They wont turn on during daylight hours, and not too bright to be sore on the eyes at night time

81MXbRkrJTL._SY679_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BZSV20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Sh*t so they won't work with just normal lights? Balls!! Should have done more research!

Is there anyway to control normal lights with hue setup without having to replace every light buld in the house (Very Expensive)?

BobbyT28

Not possible with Hue as it is the bulb themselves that communicate with the hub.

There is another system I've seen recently online, but the name escapes me. It has light fittings that are controllable and use regular bulbs. Not sure of its compability with other devices or systems.

Alternatively, if you have Smartthings, you could use an Aeotec smart switch which goes behind your regular walk switch or somewhere on the light power supply within range of the ST hub, and that makes that light controllable, on/off or dimmer

No cheap option I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just run an LED strip around the ceiling or cabinets / kickboard etc.

With LED lights it's cheaper to leave Them on, than buy and fit a sensor

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

I have a 2m strip + 2 x 1m extensions above my kitchen units.

In my opinion the strips need to be not seen, so just putting one around the ceiling wouldn't work for me!

In my opinion the strips need to be not seen, so just putting one around the ceiling wouldn't work for me!

You can get diffusers to hide them
    https://www.amazon.com/U-Shape-Aluminum-recessed-installation-Mounting/dp/B00F9Q602M

Would you have a picture of them on at night time above your Kitchen?

I hvae to run a new plug socket above my Kitchen to power my strip

Would you have a picture of them on at night time above your Kitchen?

I hvae to run a new plug socket above my Kitchen to power my strip

I did take a few photos the other night,
    As per the usual disclaimer, the pictures don't do it justice;

ted1 wrote: »

Nah, not for me, you'd still see the conduit, and in my opinion, it wouldn't look great.

I did take a few photos the other night,
    As per the usual disclaimer, the pictures don't do it justice;

Cheers. They look great. Now to get that Plug sorted out on top of Kitchen so I can power them up.

setup my 3 Hue's last night. Good god they are beautiful.

Can't beileve the bulbs stay so cool, I take it thats the LED.

Thanks
    BobbyT28

I was lucky in that the previous owners had the neighbour (an electrician) install a double socket up there, as I also have up there an Apple Airport Express connected to a set of laptop speakers to give me wireless audio streaming via any of my iDevices.

Dam!! Bit pissed at myself now!

Yeah its really expensive. Was hoping it would work on dimmer.

I have 16 spots to change in Kitchen and Living room. 16 x €60!

Any cheaper alternatives even for just the spots in the ceiling that would work with echo? Probably nothing compares to hue though!

you could try one of these.
    I havent looked but I bet there is a euro model

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030/

Nah, not for me, you'd still see the conduit, and in my opinion, it wouldn't look great.

Yeh that would annoy me too. I got a new kitchen in last year, gonna get some of these strips next for above the units and maybe down at the kick boards. Was wondering too if you run an LED strip on the floor, say behind a couch , would it light the entire wall to the ceiling ? Or would that be asking too much ? Is that what this round lights you sit on the floor are for ?

• Advertisement

You'd get some light off a strip on the floor, but you wouldn't be lighting up the room with it,

Try it out first behind the couch when you get the strip for the kitchen, try it out in all the places you want to do it,

I was thinking about a strip on the outside edge at the back of my 55" TV, but where my TV is placed, it wouldn't look that great as half of it is against a wall, and half against a window!!

I've still not actually stuck my strip to the kitcken units, it's just sitting up there, as with it being the kitchen, I'm sure it will need a decent clean every year, so easier to just take it down and clean it rather than running along my counters with a wet cloth!!

you could try one of these.
    I havent looked but I bet there is a euro model

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C030/

Yeah I see that but I think it only turns lights off and on. Looking for something that does that but also to dim lights.

BobbyT28

nothing compares to hue
    ;)
    Sinead+tear.png

Try it out first behind the couch when you get the strip for the kitchen, try it out in all the places you want to do it,

Yeh good idea when I get the first one I'll try it in a few different places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Two motion sensors due to arrive today.

Plan is for one to act as a security sensor - place in porch area and when it senses movement, switch on outside light and maybe downstairs light, possibly with a delay.

The second sensor will be for the bathroom for nighttime - turn on a dimmed light between certain hours, and maybe a brighter colour after 7am.

Well, Amazon sent me two Dimmer switches instead of Motion Sensors. Absolutely furious because they appear to be not available again for another month or two.

And I had to travel to the post office to collect, and go back again to return.

Furious!

I just spent 2 1/2 hours driving around Kent to first a Currys/PC World, and then a Maplin only to find out the Currys don't hold any hue stock apart from the standard colour bulbs, and Maplin don't stock hue all together anymore!!

And there was me thinking I was going to fly home tomorrow with at least 4 GU10's to install (turn my kitchen into a disco)

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    Well, Amazon sent me two Dimmer switches instead of Motion Sensors. Absolutely furious because they appear to be not available again for another month or two.

And I had to travel to the post office to collect, and go back again to return.

Furious!

So, after struggling to find a "contact us" link on Amazon, I sent an email message explaining the problem and how I was furious that not only did I get the wrong item, but now I need to wait another two months because of their mistake.

They replied within the hour refunding my money and telling me to keep the two dimmer switches.

Can't complain about that!

MaceFace wrote: »
    So, after struggling to find a "contact us" link on Amazon, I sent an email message explaining the problem and how I was furious that not only did I get the wrong item, but now I need to wait another two months because of their mistake.

They replied within the hour refunding my money and telling me to keep the two dimmer switches.

Can't complain about that!

Best customer service I've ever dealt with.

Just picked up lightsrip plus in woddies. Was gonna get the extender too but the OH was with me!! Looking forward to getting my starter kit tomorrow.

Which Woodies did you get the light strip? And do they have the 1m extensions as well?

Which Woodies did you get the light strip? And do they have the 1m extensions as well?

Woddies on the Lucan bypass there near LIffey Valley.

Yep they had plenty of 1m extensions. Had one in my hand but put it back. Will get it at a later date.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/''/woodies+lucan/@53.3585098,-6.4946059,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x486772ef8b08c57f:0x2d75ba3918175a9!2m2!1d-6.4245664!2d53.3585303

BobbyT28

While still upset because I didn't get my Hue fix in England during the week (I wanted 4 colour GU10's), I was determined to get something, so ended up going to Woodies & getting another light strip plus 2 more 1m extensions,
    I've the new strip on its own behind my dining room dresser, and I added a 1m extension to the original strip thats on the top of my kitchen units, to just put a little extra light up there.
    (I now have a spare 1m extension!, so I guess I'll be buying another strip for somewhere!!)

I also bought a Bloom light (just because they had them, and I'm like a kid in a sweet shop sometimes) and have it in behind my TV in my bedroom (where there are also 2 of the original colour E27 bulbs.

The obsession is real, I now have a total of 20 individual lights, and I'm itching to pull the trigger on 10 of the new colour GU10's (4 then 6)

• Advertisement
Advertisement