Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Nosebleed territory for Churchill - for a club that usually yoyos between Divisions Four and Five, must be a good few years since they were in Division Three!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Absolutely farcical that Stacks went forward but it was nice to see them hammered all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Absolutely farcical that Stacks went forward but it was nice to see them hammered all the same

I do not thing Croke's would have done any better. In s way it s flawed concept having a team that is 4/6 weeks without a game. However it would also be farcical to send a team that had not won a competition. Maybe the Senior club champion should be nominated fill stop.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sure Stacks havent had a meaningful game for ages. I know they had county league last weekend against St Marys but the Marys were long relegated and had a weak team out. Hardly ideal preperation.
    The gap between games is a massive problem, either the county players are released to their clubs a bit more or clubs just get on and play without them. Look at the county league games yesterday, some of them havent played for the bones of 3 or 4 months and some of them are heading into district championships now when the pitches are pure much and gutter.
    Theres also the matter of promotion/relegation playoffs to be decided.
    County league started on the 10th March, fast forward 8 months and its only finishing up now. 8 months to play 11 games is madness

I do not thing Croke's would have done any better. In s way it s flawed concept having a team that is 4/6 weeks without a game. However it would also be farcical to send a team that had not won a competition. Maybe the Senior club champion should be nominated fill stop.

Crokes would have done a lot better.

Sure stacks didnt even win a game in the county championship this year - their last win of note was months ago.

To be honest - they were probably the club in the worst form to go forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Crokes would have done a lot better.

Sure stacks didnt even win a game in the county championship this year - their last win of note was months ago.

To be honest - they were probably the club in the worst form to go forward

Crokes did score 3-16 against Kilcummin at the weekend - mind you they did concede 3-15. On the balance of probabilities I think the most likely thing is that Crokes would have turned in a better performance but I wouldn't be all that confident that they would have got a result.

Met some Crokes folk during the week and overall the impression I got was a side who didn't have that much in the way of hunger for making a serious stab at an All-Ireland Club title again. There are a lot of the older lads in the team who have played a world of football and I wouldn't be surprised to see a serious clear-out. Time for the next generation to step-up.

Stacks were in woeful form and missing the injured lads definitely didn't help. They were in a completely different place to where they were when the won the club championship back in April. I think the county board should change the selection criteria again to something that places more emphasis on recent form as opposed to form half a year back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

The most farcical thing for me about it is if the county final between EK and Crokes was a draw. Crokes would go on to the Munster/All Ireland series and the county final wouldnt be replayed until their involvement ended. Tbf to Nemo, they'd have made light work of Crokes also so their involvement would be minimum but surely there are better ways to go about things.

I also understand the county board wanting the club championships to have some meaning, hence the Munster club carrot. Definitely a system that needs tweaking though

dobman88 wrote: »
    The most farcical thing for me about it is if the county final between EK and Crokes was a draw. Crokes would go on to the Munster/All Ireland series and the county final wouldnt be replayed until their involvement ended. Tbf to Nemo, they'd have made light work of Crokes also so their involvement would be minimum but surely there are better ways to go about things.

I also understand the county board wanting the club championships to have some meaning, hence the Munster club carrot. Definitely a system that needs tweaking though

I dont mean to keep harping on about it but it comes back to county players not being released to their clubs. Kerry will always be there or therabouts in the all ireland. Then we are cramming in the county championship in a very short spell which is unfair on players, david clifford for example has hardly had a weekend off since the all ireland, I see he was out for Fossa yesterday too.
    Maybe the county championship should go back to straight knockout and things might be sorted much sooner.
    Its farcical in other counties and they have no excuses, some counties are out with ages and still leave their county championships till the last minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Crokes did score 3-16 against Kilcummin at the weekend - mind you they did concede 3-15. On the balance of probabilities I think the most likely thing is that Crokes would have turned in a better performance but I wouldn't be all that confident that they would have got a result.

Met some Crokes folk during the week and overall the impression I got was a side who didn't have that much in the way of hunger for making a serious stab at an All-Ireland Club title again. There are a lot of the older lads in the team who have played a world of football and I wouldn't be surprised to see a serious clear-out. Time for the next generation to step-up.

Stacks were in woeful form and missing the injured lads definitely didn't help. They were in a completely different place to where they were when the won the club championship back in April. I think the county board should change the selection criteria again to something that places more emphasis on recent form as opposed to form half a year back.

The gap in games is not the real issue. stacks did not know until last weekend that they were playing in the All Ireland club championship. If stacks had know that they were playing in the All Ireland club for the last six months they would be targeting the Nemo game with the last 12 weeks. It very hard to plan for a senario where you may or mat not be playing in championship. Crokes were hot favorites to win the KCC. Although the writing was on the wall form earlier in the year. Kenmare Shamrock's should have beaten them but inexperience caught them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is there a yearly pass for the Kerry club games? I’m looking at other options to the Gaa season ticket club plus for €200. I’m not going to be attending as many inter county this year but attend a good few club games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Is there a yearly pass for the Kerry club games? I’m looking at other options to the Gaa season ticket club plus for €200. I’m not going to be attending as many inter county this year but attend a good few club games.

I think there's a pass you can buy from the Kerry GAA store/County Board for club games. I'm not sure of the cost though.

Jaysus lads the New Jersey is rotten. Just a pure money making racket at this stage for €75 a pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Looks like a dongeal jersey from the early 90's. Is there any white at all in it? The gold hoop seems a bit narrower as well. The sleeve are shocking altogether

The old jersey was nice. Change for changes sake and money grabbing. Its an abomination of a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The jersey from this year and last year is the nicest I've seen yet, it's just perfect, and there's no need whatsoever to change, it's a money making exercise, but I don't think it'll bring in as much as they hope, because all the feedback I've seen is negative so far. I certainly won't be buying this one.

Would agree with both of the above. I'm in Killarney myself today for the O Donoghue cup semi final between Legion and Gneeveguilla so will pop into the GAA store for a look at it but cant say I'll be buying it. The Galvin back to gold one was pure class. Simple is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Don't like it, it may look better on the pitch but it just seems too dark. Really don't like the dark green stripe on the arms. Last season's jersey was the nicest Kerry one in years, probably the nicest county jersey of last season

siblers wrote: »
    Don't like it, it may look better on the pitch but it just seems too dark. Really don't like the dark green stripe on the arms. Last season's jersey was the nicest Kerry one in years, probably the nicest county jersey of last season

:confused:

There are lots of words I would use to describe it but dark isn't one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Jaysus lads the New Jersey is rotten. Just a pure money making racket at this stage for €75 a pop.

Not just that but no sign of the previous jersey on sale anywhere, just the gold one which I assume undersold, as you said, money making racket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

D'Agger wrote: »
    Not just that but no sign of the previous jersey on sale anywhere, just the gold one which I assume undersold, as you said, money making racket

New blue away one on the way so gold one won't be on sale long more either

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »

Yeah I had a look online for the back to gold one and found nothing. Wonder would it be worth a trip to the O Neills store on Long Mile Road if I find myself out that direction, see would they have any left in stock.

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭siblers

mystic86 wrote: »
    :confused:

There are lots of words I would use to describe it but dark isn't one of them

Its a lot darker than last year's jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

mystic86 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Player on one of kerry panels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah I had a look online for the back to gold one and found nothing. Wonder would it be worth a trip to the O Neills store on Long Mile Road if I find myself out that direction, see would they have any left in stock.

€25 for the old Jersey and Goalkeepers Jersey. A few player fit jerseys left the other day as well but only in smaller sizes.

£20 in Derry, Newry, Strabane etc.

I feel like getting another of last year's jersey just in case something happens to my current one.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    €25 for the old Jersey and Goalkeepers Jersey. A few player fit jerseys left the other day as well but only in smaller sizes.

£20 in Derry, Newry, Strabane etc.

I feel like getting another of last year's jersey just in case something happens to my current one.

Any link to that? Would happily buy another of last years Jersey

• Advertisement

Saw a pic of it today, its nice enough, has a slight green streak through it. I never liked the gold one

Any link to that? Would happily buy another of last years Jersey

It's in-store unfortunately. Nothing online. Was in the Factory Store on the Long Mile Road last week. In the O'Neills shop in Newry 3 weeks ago.

Really not a fan of the new jersey to be honest and wont be buying it.

Last season's was a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Didnt see the need to change the jersey, but something has to pay for Currans I suppose, maybe the money will help sort the pitches out there for the other Kerry teams using it

It's in-store unfortunately. Nothing online. Was in the Factory Store on the Long Mile Road last week. In the O'Neills shop in Newry 3 weeks ago.

That's grand. Could find myself around Dublin on Saturday so if I'm near the long mile I will pop in, thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the story in the Examiner today and Peter Twiss comments about selection for the county team being unbalanced. Found it quite bizarre myself. Surely you just pick the best players regardless of where they are from

Anyone see the story in the Examiner today and Peter Twiss comments about selection for the county team being unbalanced. Found it quite bizarre myself. Surely you just pick the best players regardless of where they are from

What ridiculous comments from him

At the moment all the talent is in East Kerry and the Kenmare District that is just the way it is

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/concentration-of-players-from-east-kerry-a-concern-for-inter-county-team-says-kerry-gaa-secretary-968332.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

At the moment all the talent is in East Kerry and the Kenmare District that is just the way it is

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/concentration-of-players-from-east-kerry-a-concern-for-inter-county-team-says-kerry-gaa-secretary-968332.html

Calm down lads - I'd say Peter is concerned about improving the standards in other areas.

North Kerry is a bit of a disaster in terms of producing players for Kerry, the last while - if I was running things I'd definitely be looking at investigating the standard of coaching lads are getting in clubs and schools because I think that's a very large part of what has driven things in East Kerry - to my mind there's been a hell of a lot of very good coaches involved for a good while now between the clubs and the schools and the divisional boards.

I don't really have any idea what things are like on the ground in North Kerry in terms of coaching but when you look at where the North Kerry clubs are in terms of county championship and county league there surely has to be room for improvement.

Have you met Peter Twiss? Stupid comments wouldnt be out of character

Have you met Peter Twiss? Stupid comments wouldnt be out of character

I have met him, ask anyone who tries to promote hurling in the county at club level what he is like to deal with

I noticed he mentioned dual players, there is lads now in the development squads who are being forced to make a choice about what sport they have to play its either football or hurling and this is at u16 level

I have met him, ask anyone who tries to promote hurling in the county at club level what he is like to deal with

I noticed he mentioned dual players, there is lads now in the development squads who are being forced to make a choice about what sport they have to play its either football or hurling and this is at u16 level

If i was to tell you my true opinion of him, which is similar to a lot of people that I know, then I'd be banned from Boards!

Another comprehensive win for Na Gaeil to seal the Munster title - surely warm favourites for the All-Ireland?

https://twitter.com/nagaeilgaa/status/1203650494306148353

Another comprehensive win for Na Gaeil to seal the Munster title - surely warm favourites for the All-Ireland?

Fingers crossed. Kilmaine in the next round will be a big challenge considering their results in Connacht.

Anyone know what the story is with the Final? It's fixed for the same day as Kerry V Dublin in Croke Park. It would be an awful shame for the match to be moved from Croke Park.

The Club Finals could be moved to Sunday or could be a curtain raiser for the Kerry V Dublin game on the Saturday (unlikely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone know what the story is with the Final? It's fixed for the same day as Kerry V Dublin in Croke Park. It would be an awful shame for the match to be moved from Croke Park.

The Club Finals could be moved to Sunday or could be a curtain raiser for the Kerry V Dublin game on the Saturday (unlikely).
    I would imagine it will be the curtain raiser with the junior final before it.

davegilly wrote: »
    I would imagine it will be the curtain raiser with the junior final before it.

Yes - a triple-header of junior, intermediate and Kerry v Dublin, AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Looks like Deividas Uosis will be offered an AFL trial - Kerryman reports he performed well in a training camp in UCD at the weekend.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/deividas-uosis-kerry-afl-421942

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

A boost for Valentia,Tousist & other in playing numbers difficulty where the county will now allow "Permission to Play" for players from outside their catchment area on a case by case basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Looks like Deividas Uosis will be offered an AFL trial - Kerryman reports he performed well in a training camp in UCD at the weekend.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/deividas-uosis-kerry-afl-421942

Would not have picked him out as a potential AFL player. Fair play to him but he has a bit to do yet to get an offer. I know Paul O’Shea went to the combine last year and impressed but have heard nothing since. Are there any other Kerry lads on the radar at the moment does anybody know?

What a loss Mark O’Connor has turned out to be, have mostly only seen highlights but he is a star in the making for Geelong by all accounts. He will come home a wealthy man by the looks of it.

Would not have picked him out as a potential AFL player. Fair play to him but he has a bit to do yet to get an offer. I know Paul O’Shea went to the combine last year and impressed but have heard nothing since. Are there any other Kerry lads on the radar at the moment does anybody know?

What a loss Mark O’Connor has turned out to be, have mostly only seen highlights but he is a star in the making for Geelong by all accounts. He will come home a wealthy man by the looks of it.

Similarly, Stefan Okunbor seems to be well-regarded by the Geelong fans, and he could well get some senior team appearances in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭cms88

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

cms88 wrote: »

Hopefully the start of taking Kerry hurling to next level.

Great to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is the Kerry v Cork game today or tomorrow?

Is the Kerry v Cork game today or tomorrow?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow's team announced - surprised Eoghan O'Brien isn't in the squad, unless this means he'll be called up for the League?

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1210922779580751872

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Tomorrow's team announced - surprised Eoghan O'Brien isn't in the squad, unless this means he'll be called up for the League?

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1210922779580751872

Don't know a huge amount about most of them players but I reckon Donal O'Sullivan is a quality footballer in the making, I imagine he will stray outside the 45 though

Advertisement