Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

20/20 wrote: »
    What is it. ?

It allows your echo devices listen out for someone breaking into your home (breaking glass etc) when your not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It allows your echo devices listen out for someone breaking into your home (breaking glass etc) when your not there.

May not be great idea. If I get another plate full of dinner thrown at the wall when I come in from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

20/20 wrote: »
    May not be great idea. If I get another plate full of dinner thrown at the wall when I come in from the pub.

I think you can set it to come on/off using location services on your phone or activate it by voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think you can set it to come on/off using location services on your phone or activate it by voice.

You activate it when leaving the house from what I can see online......

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Apologies if asking obvious stuff or stuff already answered, but this thread is very long so haven't read through it all.

I'm looking at the Echo Dot on Amazon as the solution for kids to be able to listen to music in their rooms, without their phones / full internet access. But I've never used one, or used Alexa.

A (good) few questions:

1. We pay for Apple Music streaming and have iTunes. Can we access iTunes with Dot, and stream from Apple Music? We don't have Spotify premium - did I see in a previous post that free spotify won't work on Dot?

2. Is Amazon linked in to the dot, do we have to pay a subscription or something? I don't want to if at all possible. I'd hope to just access the Apple music we already pay for.

3. Is set up (Ireland) tricky? Any tips?

4. Can three dots be used at the same time in the house, to play/stream different music?

5. In terms of kids / teenagers, anything we should be wary of? We have managed to more or less keep the rule of no internet devices in bedrooms, and I'm hoping the dot would let them play music, but I presume they can ask Alexa to do a lot more than just play music? Anything we need to keep an eye/ear on? I haven't a clue of the level of sophistication of Alexa!

6. Is there something by Google that would do the job I want here? I saw mention of Google somewhere on this thread.

Thanks

• Advertisement

grazer wrote: »
    Apologies if asking obvious stuff or stuff already answered, but this thread is very long so haven't read through it all.

I'm looking at the Echo Dot on Amazon as the solution for kids to be able to listen to music in their rooms, without their phones / full internet access. But I've never used one, or used Alexa.

A (good) few questions:

1. We pay for Apple Music streaming and have iTunes. Can we access iTunes with Dot, and stream from Apple Music? We don't have Spotify premium - did I see in a previous post that free spotify won't work on Dot?

2. Is Amazon linked in to the dot, do we have to pay a subscription or something? I don't want to if at all possible. I'd hope to just access the Apple music we already pay for.

3. Is set up (Ireland) tricky? Any tips?

4. Can three dots be used at the same time in the house, to play/stream different music?

5. In terms of kids / teenagers, anything we should be wary of? We have managed to more or less keep the rule of no internet devices in bedrooms, and I'm hoping the dot would let them play music, but I presume they can ask Alexa to do a lot more than just play music? Anything we need to keep an eye/ear on? I haven't a clue of the level of sophistication of Alexa!

6. Is there something by Google that would do the job I want here? I saw mention of Google somewhere on this thread.

Thanks

1. Yes you can link, personally I use Spotify as iTunes I felt was poor
    2. No need for amazon prime
    3. No
    4. Yes, set up group
    5. No idea but what exactly could you do with it?
    6. Yes google have a version....no idea what’s it’s like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    1. Yes you can link, personally I use Spotify as iTunes I felt was poor
    2. No need for amazon prime
    3. No
    4. Yes, set up group
    5. No idea but what exactly could you do with it?
    6. Yes google have a version....no idea what’s it’s like

Actually 4 is a no I think, as they asked about different music. This is dependant on having different profiles and subscription to the underlying music app

Actually 4 is a no I think, as they asked about different music. This is dependant on having different profiles and subscription to the underlying music app

Yes this is the tricky bit. I think we have Apple Music for family as I know three or four of us can play different music from our phones at home at the same time. Must check exactly what we have.
    But Dots won’t work for a gift for the kids unless they can stream / play different music on each dot at same time. (Not from their phones.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Ad.4 - they can with basic subscription to Deezer. Not with basic plans for Amazon Music nor Spotify.

grogi wrote: »
    Ad.4 - they can with basic subscription to Deezer. Not with basic plans for Amazon Music nor Spotify.

Any idea if they can with family sub to Apple Music? Reluctant to sign up to anything else - the bleed of paid subs in our house is already painful enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭D12C

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before, but looking at door sensors at the moment. Is it possible to create a routine to turn on a smart bulb for a specific amount of time once motion is detected. I know within Hive, you can set a duration for a task e.g. If the door opens, activate a specific smart bulb for 10 mins.

Ideally I’d like to be able to do this also between certain hours. Would I be better off just getting a hive sensor and also hive bulbs and doing it this way instead of Alexa? Just to note, I don’t have smart bulbs in this area yet either.

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

D12C wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies if this has been covered before, but looking at door sensors at the moment. Is it possible to create a routine to turn on a smart bulb for a specific amount of time once motion is detected. I know within Hive, you can set a duration for a task e.g. If the door opens, activate a specific smart bulb for 10 mins.

Ideally I’d like to be able to do this also between certain hours. Would I be better off just getting a hive sensor and also hive bulbs and doing it this way instead of Alexa? Just to note, I don’t have smart bulbs in this area yet either.

I dont see why not. I have a routine in the morning to turn on lights and play calendar after I dismiss the alarm, then wait 6 mins (while I shower) and then play weather, news and commute info while I dress......works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

D12C wrote: »

Yes, can be done. I have hive bulbs, sensors and door contacts and you can set routines like this easily. If you have the Hive heating already you can even tie the routines into this as well e.g. turn heating off when window open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Looking at getting some Xioami Sensors and bulbs. I have the Echo Studio with zigbee. Does this mean I don't need the Xioami hub?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got the Dot and a few Tekin smart sockets which I set up with lights easily. But want to set up another with an electric blanket, problem is the blanket has a on/off and temperature control unit half way along the wire between blanket and socket. So it just turns it on but cant select temperature. Im guessing there is no solution for this? Is there such thing as a smart electric blanket than can be controlled by Alexa?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got the Dot and a few Tekin smart sockets which I set up with lights easily. But want to set up another with an electric blanket, problem is the blanket has a on/off and temperature control unit half way along the wire between blanket and socket. So it just turns it on but cant select temperature. Im guessing there is no solution for this? Is there such thing as a smart electric blanket than can be controlled by Alexa?

Yes

It called the wife/husband :P

So just says "Alexa announce Turn on the f**king blanket" :P:P:P:P:P

Ok so I want to go to next steps....

So have Alexa, controls a number of smart plugs/hoover etc

Now I would like to set it up so if I leave the house and it senses nobody is in house anymore ir automatically turns off all the plugs etc. So I am just wondering what is the best way to do this?

Can I mix and match or best just to go with one brand?

I haven't one with smart bulbs (yet) but I think that will be next steps....most of the rooms have lamps so I just use the smart plugs

Echo dot with clock out of stock in Amazon, curry’s, Argos. Anyone have any info or tips where we might get three before 23rd? The dot is available, but we want to get it with clock.

grazer wrote: »
    Echo dot with clock out of stock in Amazon, curry’s, Argos. Anyone have any info or tips where we might get three before 23rd? The dot is available, but we want to get it with clock.

In stock in north... Argos in bangor...bit of a drive alright but seems only place has them. Says limited stick too

368100 wrote: »
    In stock in north... Argos in bangor...bit of a drive alright but seems only place has them. Says limited stick too

Thanks. We could have delivery to an address in the north. Unfortunately same as dublin stores, when you go to order for delivery or collection, it shows out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I've created a speaker group with a dot and an echo.

But the group never shows up inside say spottify as a device

how do you target the created group when playing things like spotify ?

Alexa, play spotify/name of song on "speaker group name"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ok so I want to go to next steps....

So have Alexa, controls a number of smart plugs/hoover etc

Now I would like to set it up so if I leave the house and it senses nobody is in house anymore ir automatically turns off all the plugs etc. So I am just wondering what is the best way to do this?

Can I mix and match or best just to go with one brand?

I haven't one with smart bulbs (yet) but I think that will be next steps....most of the rooms have lamps so I just use the smart plugs

I've a few routines like Alexa, goodnight/goodbye that turns off the plugs. Goodbye shuts everything off. Goodnight times it so i can get upstairs before they shut off.

I found the bulbs only really work in lamps. I bought a few smart bulbs for the main big light in the room but consistently the missus just turns off the switch as she leaves and kills it. Then you have to turn it back on, wait for it reconnect then tell alexa to dim it.

I found having a lamp in each corner with a Hue bulb allows the ability to dim and change colour.

368100 wrote: »
    Alexa, play spotify/name of song on "speaker group name"

Should the group not show up in spotify as a device that can be used?

I generally control spotify via the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

My everywhere group is available on Spotify. I don't remember doing anything special to get it there.
    Maybe you just need to do it once for it to show up. Or maybe the everywhere group is special. I don't have any others setup.

limnam wrote: »
    Should the group not show up in spotify as a device that can be used?

I generally control spotify via the app

Mine does.....actually never noticed it before

Mine does.....actually never noticed it before

Odd

I take it then you didn't do anythng special to get it there?

I wonder if the fact they're mixed echo's and dots does it matter..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've created a speaker group with a dot and an echo.

But the group never shows up inside say spottify as a device

how do you target the created group when playing things like spotify ?

I only figured this out yesterday.

If you go into the Amazon app on your phone, set up the speaker group as the preferred speaker, rather than any one of the individual speakers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Odd

I take it then you didn't do anythng special to get it there?

I wonder if the fact they're mixed echo's and dots does it matter..

I created a group called downstairs. One echo and one dot. Showed up automatically in Spotify

When playing a song there should be a message saying other devices available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Raoul

Looking at getting some Xioami Sensors and bulbs. I have the Echo Studio with zigbee. Does this mean I don't need the Xioami hub?

Thanks

Similar question here. Hoping someone can answer. Looking to get some sensors but presume they don't work without the gateway hub.

Advertisement